Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Weaver K4 not clear

Boolit Buddy

Weaver K4 not clear

I hope this is the right area to post. I'm looking for help regarding an old Weaver K4 scope. The markings are El Paso, TX and it has a little rectangle with '60' inside it. My issue is that the scope is "cloudy" when you look through it. Almost like the glass on each end has dust on them, but I really don't think that's it.

It adjusts and holds zero fine, but bugs me that it's not clear. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Boolit Master
    A frequent problem with older Weaver scopes is that the lenses were made as two pieces that were flat on one side and rounded on the other, the two flat sides were then glued together with Kodak cement to make a lens. The problem is that the glue deteriorates making the lenses cloudy. While it is possible to disassemble the scope and separate and re-glue the lenses then reassemble the scope and fill it with nitrogen gas the cost would be more than the scope is worth if you could find someone skilled enough to do it. At one time there was a book that detailed doing this type of repair. I'm uncertain if that book is still available.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

About all you can do is to clean the lenses with Windex, then loosen the focus ring and turn the ocular ring until the crosshairs are sharp and the image is clear. If it’s still cloudy- it’s just an old scope. I have a few old Weavers and one in particular is a bit dimmer than the rest- but still works fine in other respects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

All I can suggest is that you send it to Iron Sight in Tulsa and have it repaired. They have done good work in the past that I am aware of and I'm sure they can fix it. https://ironsightinc.com/
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Another option to work on it if the one above doesn't work out;
    https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the info. I guess I'll just live with it being cloudy. Maybe put it on an old .22 just for plinking.

Boolit Master

thanks for the information on who works repairing these scopes as I have one that needs work
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

L & K Scope Repair
    PO Box 32
    Eldridge, MO 65463
    (417) 426-5041

I have used this outfit and they worked in El Paso for Weaver. Sent them a Weaver K2.5 and it came back perfect in about 1 week. Other places have ridiculous Wait times !

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Those old steel Weaver scopes were "The Bomb" for most of us who lived through the sixties and seventies. They were great mechanically, and for the times optically also. We didn't have a lot of other competing optics to compare to at the time, especially in that price range.

For anyone buying a new rifle back then, the first natural "next step" was to spend your next money on a K-whatever scope. That makes it pretty easy for someone to acquire one of these old sweethearts to attach on a particular vintage rifle of those times.

I've got a half dozen of various K models here, ranging from almost pristine, to needing the kind of fix listed above. Ima hafta check prices with the companies mentioned. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

As mentioned above by Elk Hunter, the problem when lenses are permanently fogged is the glue that holds the two piece lenses together fails and the lens becomes Opaque. The fix for this is to disassemble the lens's and clean them and re-glue them back together. They come back looking like new. I recommended L&K because they were reasonably priced and the turn around time was short.

The Ironsight Inc outfit quoted me a Year and a Half ???!!! which was right after they got an article in AR. Talked to the owner and he told me that he couldn't keep employees because nobody wanted to do piece work which amounted to $5 an hour! I said DUH !

I didn't want my scope being worked on by people that didn't care about what they were doing. And if you are not willing to pay a decent wage how can you expect anyone to care about their work?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    L & K Scope Repair is no longer rebuilding scopes - Larry has retired. He did several scopes for me over the years.

I now use Iron Sight in Tulsa, who are just as capable.