WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 35 whelen

Boolit Buddy

35 whelen

I've had the shoulder set back on my 35 whelen. I'm going to seat a boolit out to touch the rifling and re- fireworks the shoulder. Wondering what load to use. Thinking about 16-17 gr 2400 with a 245 gr cast boolit. Does that sound about right?

Just a few grains of faster powder(Bullseye, Red Dot) will work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have Unique, 10 gr.
    Never trade luck for skill.

17 grains of 2400 under 252 NEI shot well (* 50 yd * -- 1.0625" (5/5), 0.875" (4), 0.5 (3)) in my 35 Whelen Imp, as did 20 gr 2400 under an Accurate 205B (*100yd* -- 1.625" (4) 0.5" (3) @ 100 yd --- 6" low of sighting for full power 250 gr Jacketed). This using non sorted bullets, and a 4x Scope whose reticle fully covers a 3" target paster at 100 yds.
    I know the original question was forming w/ 2400, but my response is intended to convey that not only should this realm of charge form well, it is quite possible that the user may find a very good shooting load as well.

Boolit Man
    Siamese, I have noticed a set back of the shoulders on my caste bullet loads for my 35 Whelen. Have you identified what is the cause of the setback?
    It is my theory that the cause of this is the result of 2 things... lower pressures that do not cause the case to expand enough to properly fill the chamber, and the ejector set up on my bolt face keeping the shell from making solid contact with the bolt when loading and firing. I have actually had issues with primers backing out of the case, not from high pressure, but from not enough pressure!
    In order to save my cases, I am using a loading of 16 grs Bullseye, a small piece of tissue paper over the powder, fill the remaining case space with Cream of Wheat about 1/3 up the neck, then seal the top using a lit candle made of bee's wax.
    Also, in order to address the issue with the bolt, I make sure the case rim is hooked into the extractor, and pushing it against the plunger so it aligns with the chamber, close and fire straight up into the air.
    This loading does not cause any measurable stretching of the case in length, or any lost cases due to stress cracks.... so far!
    This situation has been a real educational experience, and I am interested in other peoples feedback who may have experienced a similar situation.

Boolit Master
    about 32 grains of either 4227 or 4198 is what I start out with when loading 35-200 casted bullets with reformed brass its always worked.