Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditions .32 cal

Traditions .32 cal

Shot in the dark here but looking into getting a little muzzle loader to modify and tinker with. Preferably want to go the used route to keep the cost down . And would like to do a little .32 cal for various reasons. Traditions has about the only style I'm liking and just wanted to know if anyone could give me a rough idea what I could be looking at as far price for a used one in half decent. Won't mind if it was beat up a bit as long as it was safely functional.
    Thanks shape.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I bought a Crockett Kit to build for my wife.
    I did some upgrades on it like,
    I changed the ramrod thimbles from steel to brass.
    I also changed the ramrod to one made from wood instead of the aluminium one that came with the Kit.
    I also added a patch patch box to the right side of the stock and a brass lock plate to the left side of the stock to dress it up a bit.
    Her family likes Dragonfly's
    So , I bought some small cast brass Dragonfly's.
    I soldered a rod to the back of one and glued it into the left side of the stock by the lock plate that I installed.
    The second dragonfly was sweat soldered to the face of the patch box door.
    It dressed up her rifle really nice.
    I am sorry that I can't post pictures of the rifle.
    But I am very happy with this rifle.
    The Kit was very easy for me to build since , building rifles is my long time hobby.
    But I would rate this kit as a Level one kit that is easy to build.
    But if you bought a used rifle.
    It would be simple to Dress it up if you want.
    But IMO , not really needed.
    Oh,
    The rifle shoots great and is fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

I bought one years ago and have been very pleased with mine. The small bore tends to foul more quickly than larger muzzle loaders I have, but it is a hoot to shoot.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Saw a couple on gun broker last night, under black powder rifles.

Boolit Master

I have a 32 T/C that I built from a kit in the '80's, makes a great squirrel rifle. You need to try to make head shots though.

If you are not in a hurry, try looking at your local pawn shops. I have found the Traditions and the TC's for under $200.00. As explained by a friend who worked at one of the shops, most people came in looking for in-lines and stuck their nose up at the side-locks.

Also, go to one of the muzzleloading stores online and buy a drop in bore light. Make sure it will fit the 32 cal barrels. Or pick up a bore scope that will work with your phone.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I pick up Used Muzzleloading rifles at local Pawn Shops.
    I buy them in all kinds of conditions from like brand new to just for parts.
    I do all my own work to restore them except for working on the barrel rifling.
    If I buy one at a Good Price that has a bad bore, I send it to Bobby Hoyt to have the bore reworked to my liking.
    I bought a TC .45 Hawken that I am thinking about having Hoyt Relined the bad bore to .32 or .36.
    I can pick the rifles up really cheap in the Off Hunting Season.
    So reworking some rifles costs less than a new Kit
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-10-2023 at 11:51 AM.

Boolit Master

Don't over look a good deal on a .36 caliber either. Or an Underhammer.

Muzzleloading isn't very popular where I live so I NEVER see them in pawnshops and I'm a pretty frequent visitor to all the local ones
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Muzzleloading isn't very popular where I live so I NEVER see them in pawnshops and I'm a pretty frequent visitor to all the local ones
    I think a lot of pawn shops avoid them because most people want inlines for hunting. As I said in the earlier post, if you are not in a hurry. After following several of your previous posts, you appear to have enough interest to keep you busy until you find one.

Also, do a little investigative searching on the internet and see if you have any living history or reenactment groups in your area.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Wolfdog that is one beautiful little rifle! Not a speck of plastic either!
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    I think if you looked around a bit, you could do a lot better. In the final analysis, a muzzle loader is a gaspipe on a stick, but there are nicer gaspipes and sticks to be had. If you want a really nice 32 a used Dixie 32 Mountain Rifle would be a great choice. The smallbores are fun and can be pretty accurate. As pointed out above, they do foul faster and regular cleaning is important. I have a 34 caliber percussion that uses patched OO Buck. It shoots about an inch at 50 yards. I also have a pair of 36 caliber guns, an underhammer that I just won a primitive biathlon with and a 36 cal Hatfield flintlock that I have killed any number of squirrels and other small game with. These small guns are fun to use. The Traditions will work, but there are lots nicer guns out there.

Boolit Master
    You are correct BadgerShooter.
    The Traditions is a good Starter Rifle.
    I bought a Pedersoli "Cub" .32 flintlock Kit to go out shooting with my wife's Crockett Rifle.
    I haven't had time to start in the Cub yet because I have so many other projects going on.
    But I would only buy my wife a good functioning rifle that she can have uninterrupted fun.
    The OP was avoiding high costs to get started.
    The Traditions Brand New Kit , even with the upgrades that I did to it was 2/3 the cost of the Pedersoli flintlock Kit.
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-11-2023 at 10:25 PM.

Boolit Master

My thoughts are that in pawn shops/ sporting goods stores that sell used guns, 99% of the used muzzle loaders are gonna be larger cals for deer hunting, that's what most people buy one for. If you want a small cal, look online or locally for a club that the members shoot muzzle loaders. That's usually who is gonna have a small cal gun. I'd save my money up and and get the Traditions. These are entry level guns that are good quality and would satisfy my needs too. Plus, you will get to shoot quicker than if you wait on a small cal from a pawn shop in your area. I get it, ML isn't popular here either.

Boolit Master
    Never had a Traditions 32 but have had two 50's and my friends had them as well in 50 and 54. Mine were the Shenandoah and Pennsylvania models with a RB twist. Both were extremely accurate with any load from low end plinking to upper end deer hunting loads.

The CVA .32 caliber Squirrel Rifle is a good one if you can find one.
    More of a mini Hawken in style though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The CVA .32 caliber Squirrel Rifle is a good one if you can find one.
    More of a mini Hawken in style though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have one of those I picked a couple years ago.
    Somewhere around $300 is what I gave.
    It's a fun little thing, but like it's been mentioned it fouls much quicker than the .50 or .54.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Hello Wolfdog91,

The small bores are fun. One can shoot them pretty much all day long without draining the pocket book.
    I started with the CVA Squirrel Rifle, it was a bit short.
    Then sold it and purchased a Pedersoli Pennsylvania Flint Lock. I didn't like the flint lock so I converted it to percussion.
    Later I picked up a Tradition's Crockett for my son, but was a little disappointed that it didn't have a hooked breech.
    Both rifles seem a little long for busting through the brush, so we picked up a couple CVA's again but kept the others.
    One just can't have too many rifles.

AntiqueSledMan.

One additional bit of advice, when you find a rifle pick up a GOOD one-piece brass t-rod range rod and a ball puller. You will need it for when you eventually dry ball the gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    One additional bit of advice, when you find a rifle pick up a GOOD one-piece brass t-rod range rod and a ball puller. You will need it for when you eventually dry ball the gun.
    very good point, it's going to happen
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast