Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Forster Co Ax?

Boolit Master

Thoughts on Forster Co Ax?

I’m thinking about getting one of these. My current press is a c-shaped single stage with no branding. Precision is more important to me than speed, but… how fast can you load on this thing?

You won't reload any faster.

You will be able to change dies quicker.

You can never have too many reloading presses.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    You won't reload any faster.

You will be able to change dies quicker.

You can never have too many reloading presses.
    Agreed.

Its a great press. I owned a older version before the universal shell holder.

The press on my radar is the MEC.

Have you watched Ultimate Reloaders Single Stage Press Shootout? Its a real good video on utube showing good info on many presses. Both of these rank high.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I agree with the others as well. I really don’t like the primer set up on this press , so I hand prime or bench prime . Changing dies is super fast and easy , but like the others have said I don’t believe you will load any faster. I’m not bashing this press I really like mine , I just don’t like the primer set up , but you may have no issues with it . Good luck !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    I've used a Co-Ax for about for forty years for just about all of my rifle cartridge handloading. Fine press, but you may run across a very few chores that other presses will do better and/or easier, like using a primer pocket swager. For that reason, I keep an RCBS Big Max mounted on the bench. Once your priming setup is adjusted on the Co-Ax, it works very well, but I don't like to mess with it. I use a 21st Century hand primer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I agree with the others as well. I really don’t like the primer set up on this press , so I hand prime or bench prime . Changing dies is super fast and easy , but like the others have said I don’t believe you will load any faster. I’m not bashing this press I really like mine , I just don’t like the primer set up , but you may have no issues with it . Good luck !
    I feel the same way. I prime on a bench primer. But love my 50+ year old Co-Ax.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I’m thinking about getting one of these. My current press is a c-shaped single stage with no branding. Precision is more important to me than speed, but… how fast can you load on this thing?
    For "precision" I find a hard time thinking of a better press than my Foster CoAx! I bought it to hopefully change off-the-wall run-out in .221 Fireball cases -- and it, in fact, reduced this to allmost zero! That one doesn't need shell holders is a big plus, too. They sell a shorter handle, which I bought and 99% of the time use, too, as the long handle which comes with it is...well.. too long for most of my reloading.
    HOWEVER -- and it's a BIG "however" -- I, later, could not pass on an MEC Marksman press and guess what? Mine has the BEST action of any/all of my eight bench-mounted presses, and more than rivals the Forster CoAx in accuracy!!! Plus -- the price is less and availability is greater.
    Vis "speed", using "known brass" -- e.g., fired by ME "x" number of times (taking brass prep out of the equation) I can easily load 100 precision rounds in an evening. Note, too, I drop powder "light" from my Harris measure, and then use a Hornady trickler to top off to exact weight I desire -- which adds a minute or so to the process of each case.
    BOTH are great presses -- I'm pretty sure you shan't be disappointed with either. I must add, though, in retrospect -- I like the MEC best!
    Re priming -- I exclusively use a Holland-modified RCBS bench primer tool for all my priming -- so, the cases in either press, at the start, are primed.
    geo

I've survived 5.5 decades of loading and wouldn't trade my Co-Ax press for two of anything else for loading multiple calibers. I've owned all the other brands (except the MEC Marksman), and if limited to only one press it would be my Co-Ax. It's more expensive than most, but if you are in this game long term, it will be the one you'll use the most and last as long as you will.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a co ax since the 80s. loaded a lot of ammo on it. It is a very good press solid and plenty of power. Between the snap in dies and universal shell holder the press is pretty much self centering. The press is very open offering a good view and easy handling of cases. The frame is well designed and a solid casting. Set up like a die set the guide rods at the back are what set the alignment. Links pins and moving parts are easy to lube. I like the priming system for small batches, but use a hand tool for large batches.

While there is a lot going for this press there are some drawbacks.
    The snap in die set up does require a thicker die ring than what normally comes with die sets. The priming set up does take some getting used to and practice setting it up. But the big one is that some tools like collet bullet pullers, bullet sizers, primer pocket swagers, trim dies and the likes may not be usable in this press.
    The biggest plus to this press is he positive spent primer catcher set up, 100% and also contains most of the dust and crud.

Boolit Master
    I like the CO-AX a lot. But there some things built for normal presses that don't work well on it. The Lee universal decapper is one. The stock primer thing is a bit fiddly to set up but works. They make an adapter so you can use normal shell holders. Spent primers and residue are dealt with better than any other press I have used. Mine is a Bonanza that I bought at an auction fo about $25 so it was a mo brainer.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a coax since around 1980. It is a good press and i like it although i usually prime with a different hand primer. It catches the old primer and debris from them as has done been said. It is my main press for both rifle and pistol. I usually dont load but 50 to 100 rounds at one time so it works well for me.If you want more i size and get brass ready for powder then do powder on at a different time.

Boolit Grand Master
    I always wanted one, finally got one, never used it.
    It's and old Pacific.
    Still glad to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I bought mine used about 7 years ago. Love the quick change dies. Need to make an adjustment after flaring, swap out the dies, flare again, and back to seating. Now I rarely used my other 2 presses. Use a Lee hand primer. hc18flyer

Boolit Bub
    I have 3, with 3 different jaws, and I have had them for 30 some years, great press.

Boolit Master

The Co-Ax selling point is better ammo. The floating dies "center up" the case, bullet whatever before pressure gets up. All your ammo is more concentric., so more accurate. Maybe a Vickerman dye or knockoff will do you just as good. I prime with the RCBS bench tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Since 1975 I've had several presses, mostly single stage (I am never in a hurry reloading). Some were excellent (Redding Boss, a Rock Chucker, a few Lee. one ancient Pacific and a used C-H from the '60s?). I also had a Lee turret which I used for many years, but the most impressive press is my Forster Co-Ax. Very well built. Precise reloading (I thought I needed a concentricity gauge for my rifle rounds, but my 308 handloads with Hornady bullets read a hair less than .001" runout). Quick die changes is an important feature, but the floating die is an important additional feature. Speed reloading is secondary for me but the jaw type shell holder make single stage style reloading much easier/faster. I have done nearly everything on my Co-Ax I have done on any press. I've owned. I have even sized cast bullets on mine (I made a bit longer pusher and an extension on top of the sizing die to catch sized bullets. I have primed on my Co-Ax, but the major problem for me was getting the shell holder jaws adjusted right, and some cases with thin rims wouldn't hold well. But that's no big deal, I often prefer priming on my Pacific C press and a ram prime (fits my style because I batch load and most of the time I'll process brass up to primed and ready just waiting for powder and bullet). I have made two modifications and one addition to my Co-Ax. I replaced the Allen socket screws with stainless steel Phillips head screws. I use a 12" screwdriver from above to remove screws which is easier for me. The after market short handles are too short for me, so I just cut 2 1/2" from the stock handle. I added Inline Fabrications LED lights, big improvement over a 100 watt desk lamp.

By far, the Forster Co-Ax is the best reloading press I've used and my handloads are the best I've produced in maybe 40 years of reloading.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    Been reloading since 1965 ... Owned my Bonanza CoAx since early '70s

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all your input. I got the Forster.

Boolit Master
    You wont regret getting the CO-AX I love mine easy to change dies . It make very good ammo.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Thanks for all your input. I got the Forster.
    Happy for you!!! I doubt if you'll have any regrets!
    gro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast