RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best place to get black powder

You can also get BP at addictedtoblackpowder.com and acepyro.com/Shop/Supplies#blackpowder.

Glad you were able to solve it that easily.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Me too! Every now and then even a blind hog can find an acorn.

Boolit Master

One additional question. Looks like the most available is Scheutzen due to a fire at the Goex Plant. Should I wait for Goex or is Scheutzen ok?

Scheutzen is a good powder.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

OK, thank's

Boolit Grand Master

I've never tried Schutzen, but I've not heard too many bad things about it. I don't think we currently have a "bad" blackpowder imported into the USA. There are some in the world that are junk, but I've only heard of them from second hand experience, seemingly mostly in South America. Elephant brand comes to mind.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've never tried Schutzen, but I've not heard too many bad things about it. I don't think we currently have a "bad" blackpowder imported into the USA. There are some in the world that are junk, but I've only heard of them from second hand experience, seemingly mostly in South America. Elephant brand comes to mind.
    I used to shoot Elephant quite a bit, went through a few cases of it. I did get one bad lot. I contacted Petrochemical, and they sent me a new full case. The bad stuff got shot up in the local cannons. During the same time period, GOEX also had a bad lot of powder out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I used to shoot Elephant quite a bit, went through a few cases of it. I did get one bad lot. I contacted Petrochemical, and they sent me a new full case. The bad stuff got shot up in the local cannons. During the same time period, GOEX also had a bad lot of powder out.
    A few years back, some of us also had a bad case (25#) of Swiss.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Scheutzen is just fine.

Boolit Master

ordered 5# of FF from Grafs, that's what their brand is, the fine print says. Just missed it being on sale

Boolit Master

as it turns out, I found the 1/2 lb of 3F the same friend gave me 20 yrs ago. I thought I remembered it being Goex but it was Elephant. He gave it to me in 2002 and had had it "some years" he said. I've seen VERY mixed reviews on Elephant so I don't know if I have 1/2 lb of useable powder or 1/2 lb of junk. We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    as it turns out, I found the 1/2 lb of 3F the same friend gave me 20 yrs ago. I thought I remembered it being Goex but it was Elephant. He gave it to me in 2002 and had had it "some years" he said. I've seen VERY mixed reviews on Elephant so I don't know if I have 1/2 lb of useable powder or 1/2 lb of junk. We'll see
    Try about 25 grains down the pipe with nothing but a patch over top. If it goes bang, try it with a ball. But, make sure you have a good way to remove the ball if it doesn't.

Boolit Grand Master

I could be completely wrong on Elephant, I just threw out a name that I remembered. It will almost certainly go bang, but the bad reports of whatever brand it was, I remember it was super underpowered and dirty as heck. Something like 100gr of the stuff only did 800 fps in a 50 caliber rifle.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I took it to the range yesterday, it's 3F so I was gonna try it in my 32. It went bang just fine, but there was a lot more fouling than Goex and in a 32, it's a no go. I'll try to burn it up on cans with my 54 pistol. Unless I decide to use it on tomatoes

so I was gonna try it in my 32. It went bang just fine, but there was a lot more fouling than Goex and in a 32, it's a no go.
    Just make some alcohol-soaked patches and swab the barrel between shots. As long as you are not in the field this will work well. I use alcohol because it dries very quickly in a hot barrel.

Boolit Master

I'll try that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123