Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Which cast boolit for M1889 Danish Krag?

Boolit Buddy

Which cast boolit for M1889 Danish Krag?

Background: I reload the 8x58r for my Swedish RB using brass formed from 8x56r brass, Lee 8mm Max, sized .326”, 3.22” oal, 17.0 gr 2400, 1335fps, neck size brass, nice accuracy. Everything works fine for me. I never slugged the bore.

Finally found a M1889 Danish Krag made in 1896 with a nice bore with the older rounded lands and grooves. Did not slug the bore, but sticking in the muzzle the sized Lee Max showed it should be an ok fit. Trying different amounts of 2400 powder, the same 17.0 gr as the Swede liked, the Krag also liked. Happy with the accuracy.

Here’s the problem: When feeding rounds from the Krag magazine, about 50% of the time, the top round cartridge’s flat nose of the Max boolit catches on the very front of the magazine or catches upon trying to enter the chamber. Much of the fun of the Krag is using the magazine. I like long boolits so as to get them near the beginning of the rifling. Differing oal did not solve the feeding problem.

Recommend a long cast boolit to use that will feed better in the Krag and should shoot accurately? Thank you

Boolit Master
    The Saeco #081, a 190 grain gas checked 8mm bullet, might fill the bill for you're requirements. It has a nose with a profile that should feed well in your firearm, and is generally a good 8mm bullet.

Boolit Master

My Swedish RB has a nice bore that shoots .323" cast bullets very well. Mostly I shoot .324" and .325". Lyman 323471 sized .324" and this one from NOE:
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ity-gc-326471/ sized .325".

I do cast the Lee Maximum sized .325" but haven't shot it in the RB. Its so fat it has to be seated quite deep well below the shoulder. They still shoot ok but look funny.

The vernacular term: 8x58RD

Dutch