Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get consistent powder drops

Can't get consistent powder drops

Is it normal for an adjustable mec charge bar to be ±.3 grains? I'm having a hell of a time with it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Unique or similar flake powders will do that. Ball powders are very popular because they meter so well.

Mec

The brass washer needs to be installed correctly, if your using one? The bumps can be flattened and allow the washer to move. It can restrict powder flow. Light charges. https://www.mecoutdoors.com/brass-washer-1-per-pack-2

The powder variation happens if the press is not operated the same, at each cycle.

Mec didnt make an ADJUSTABLE powder bar when i was loading shotshell. It should not be used. Same goes for aftermarket powder baffles.

Do try to maintain a set level in the powder bottle.
    If the sliding bar binds, the powder drop will weight more.

Have loaded 12, 20, 28, & 410. Big flake powder, more variations. Ball powder better, but leaks from measure.

Boolit Buddy
    MEC charge bushings are "guesstimates" just like anybody else, which is why they make so many oh-so-close variations. Different folks have lots of luck with the adjustable charge bars, and lots of folks love them. I always used the MEC bushing chart to get me "close" and then you may have to adjust up-or-down a bushing. Also, it's not rocket science, if the bushing drops +/- 0.3 grains, the clay or the duck won't care and your should will probably never know the difference.

Remember, our grandfathers reloaded shotshells using teaspoons. We over think that the charge has to be "exact".
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on the powder, but plus or minus .3 grains is perfectly normal. I would not expect anything wrong there, and you can't get it to be much better. Some people have had luck putting an aquarium aerator on the powder bottle to agitate it, but you will never get a shotgun reloader to the same level as a rifle/pistol style powder measure.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Unique or similar flake powders will do that. Ball powders are very popular because they meter so well.
    Using red dot. I've loaded a few hundred medium charge shells with it but now.i. trying to load some buckshot at a more consistent charge weight. I just tried using my lee powder dropper and it's not much better either.

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The brass washer needs to be installed correctly, if your using one? The bumps can be flattened and allow the washer to move. It can restrict powder flow. Light charges. https://www.mecoutdoors.com/brass-washer-1-per-pack-2
    I don't have a brass washer I don't believe. I'll look into getting one. The mec came with a powder baffle and I was told.i should use it. What's wrong with it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post
    Is it normal for an adjustable mec charge bar to be ±.3 grains? I'm having a hell of a time with it.

If I'm loading some particular load then I weight it. But for trap, I go with the bushing required. Not going to matter anyway.

If you talk to Mec, they say not to use a baffel or adj measure. The brass ring only needed for fine ball powder.

I have not used or tested them.

Large flake Red Dot will have some variation. I used it in 12 ga. Don't remember how much variation. Changed to 700X same.

For Lee ,key drive slugs, I used HS-6, a fine ball powder. Measures well.

You can always hand weigh each charge.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 02-08-2023 at 09:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    If you talk to Mec, they say not to use a baffel or adj measure. The brass ring only needed for fine ball powder.

I have not used or tested them.

Large flake Red Dot will have some variation. I used it in 12 ga. Don't remember how much variation. Changed to 700X same.

For Lee ,key drive slugs, I used HS-6, a fine ball powder. Measures well.

You can always hand weigh each charge.
    That isn't very good advice. The adjustable powder measure is one of the few advantages to a MEC, they work way better than a library of bars and bushings. I'm not aware of any way to mount a baffle into a MEC powder bottle. You say you have not used or tested them, you really should. I have, I can tell you plus or minus .3 grain variation perfectly normal with most powders in these presses and similar. Unless you are loading slugs or other specialty ammo, hand weighing shotgun powder not a great option.

I'm actually loading buckshot near max so that's why I wanted them a little more consistent. I guess I'll weigh each charge. It's not much more work really and I'll feel better about it.

I keep a quarter by my MEC I tap the front the bar slide body each time like the drop weight on a Lyman 55. It evened out my charges very well. Also make sure when you set the adjustable up that you work up to your charge from high to low to remove the lash from the threads in the adjustment screw.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=243winxb;5531739]
    The powder variation happens if the press is not operated the same, at each cycle..
    Charlie: I agree

Mec didnt make an ADJUSTABLE powder bar when i was loading shotshell. It should not be used.
    Charlie: I've never had a problem with mine.

Same goes for aftermarket powder baffles.
    Charlie: No problem so far.

Charlie: My experience has been quite different different. But, that often happens. BTW, Red Dot is one of my favorites. Been using it since 1968.

Mec baffel

After market baffel photo.

If using a progressive press, make sure the charge bar always fully travels back and forth. Short stroking can produce variations in powder charge or squibs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l500.jpg  

Powder charge weight variations

Mixing 2 different lots of powder can cause powder drop variations, if not mixed well.

Of the 3 powders I have tested by volume, new powder lots have always been heavier. Over 1 gr on a 19 gr drop. Outgassing happens.

Best not to mix lots. That left over 1 lb you just dumped into the new 8 lb may get recalled.

I'm using powder from the same can so that's not an issue. I'm not using a progressive press and I operate the powder bar the same each time. I'm sure about that.

Moderator Emeritus

I never had a problem with my adjustable charge bar and we shot trap basically every week for three years.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive always thought of powder variations expressed as a percentage. I have my tolerance based on how close it is to book max. .3 isn't squat in a 25 grain desired charge weight but unacceptable in a 3 grain load of say, bullseye in a 158 grain .38 special.

Boolit Mold
    I forget who made it, but I have an aluminum powder baffle that screws right into my MEC's and the powder bottle screws right into that. As I recall, the idea was to ensure consistent charges from a full charge bottle to when its near empty.. Seems to work. Been using it for 30 years.

Very interesting discussion. I’m new to shotshell loading and still learning. I didn’t know that the powder charge varies more than with metallic loading equipment. I’m also learning some interesting tips. Particularly the addition of a knocker or a baffle. Thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast