Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Target load for .45 ACP 230 grain HP

Boolit Mold

Target load for .45 ACP 230 grain HP

Suggestions for load for Bullseye target load for this bullet?
    http://westernbullet.com/noe4gr.html

Powder, COAL and crimp ideas all of interest. Shooting them from a new SA RO, factory springs. I'll be switching to a lighter recoil spring and lighter SWC bullet ASAP, but this is what I have ready to go.

Powders I have that would make sense are HP38, Titegroup, and Trail Boss. Prefer HP38 since I have the most of it and it's in my powder measure now, but any would be OK.

Boolit Master
    Lyman's 50th Manual lists 5.8/W231/225 gr. Lyman 452374 (LRN) as potentially the most accurate load with that bullet. They also mention that they used Federal Brass and CCI large pistol primers. Their cartridge overall length was 1.272". This was also listed as a maximum load, so reducing the charge weight to 5.2/W231 would be prudent before going to 5.8/W231. I would also be watchful for loads within 0.3 gr. of my suggested starting load to deliver surprisingly good groups.
    The STARTING load for Lyman's projectile was 4.0/W231, which did not break 700 f/s.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I have only used Bullseye and Titegroup and Red Dot for my Bullseye load. 4.0 to 4.2 give or take a little on each side will usually give pretty good groups. 4.0 RD is the most accurate with a 200, followed by Bullseye at 4.2. I don't shoot competition with 230's but 4.2/4.4 does shoot pretty good. Nothing wrong with using HP-38 just have to bump up the amount, and I'm sure someone will chime in with their fav. load.
    Tony

Boolit Master

I would put 6gr of Unique under it but I'm a greybeard and besides it would be too dirty and smokey..................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Here is my pet load for my 45 acp stainless steel AMT Hardballer with factory std. weight recoil spring. 230 gr. LRN -
    RCBS 45-230-RN
    Good accuracy and with 100% cycling of the action ... no stove pipes or failures .

5.4 grs HP38 @ 815 fps

This load was taken from RCBS data: RCBS 45-230-RN / 45 acp / 230 gr. cast lead RN / HP38
    Start Load : 5.1 HP38 grs. @ 783 fps
    Maximum Load : 5.6 grs. HP38 @ 847 fps

Adjust bullet seating depth to fit your gun ... it must feed , chamber , fire and cleanly eject ...100% of the time is best .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

For that bullet I would start at 5.4 of W231 and see if it cycles. I bet that combo will. It will probably also be a bit snappy. Certainly not a powder puff load anyway.

231 is the go to powder for .45 acp at the Thumbcocker compound.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

Never shot 230 HP but a lot of 230 FMJ. Tried all the usual powders: Bullseye, WST, 231, Titegroup, etc and found Clays would always have the best groups. This is a typical practice 50 yard hardball target out of a 1911.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I'd try 5.0 grains HP38 / W231, then use a little more if that is not satisfactory. BUT, that is only with large primers. HP38/W231 does not like small pistol primers, even if you increase the charge.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

I use 5.0gr of w231 with a 230gr bullet in 45. Nice moderate target load. No cycling issues.