Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 Leverguns - nose length & profiles for best feeding?

Boolit Master

.357 Leverguns - nose length & profiles for best feeding?

Trying to think ahead with my next Accurate Molds purchase. . .

I am going to be ordering an LFN/WFN style mold in the 158-170 grain range to fill a niche in the handgun boolit inventory.

There exists the possibility of a later purchase of a .357 Ruger/Marlin 1894 or perhaps an 1892 clone. Because of this hypothetical lever gun, I'm looking at keeping the nose in front of the crimp groove down to 0.30" to stay at SAAMI max COAL. Considering meplat diameters of 0.24" to 0.27".

Any input you can give on what runs and what chokes in those guns would be appreciated.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy

I have been using Lee's 38- 125 RNFP with no problems. GW

I have an older Rossi imported by Interarms that I bought years ago second hand.
    I have had no issue with a SWC or a WFN, the bullet I use most any more is this one.
    https://missouribullet.com/details.p...y=10&keywords=
    I know of at least 5 others that shoot it in their Henrys without any issue also.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    My 1980s Marlin gets fed the Lee 358-158RF, & the 358-125RF most. Second would be the Lee GroupBuy clone of the Lyman 358-156 SWC, it feed well, but maybe not quite as smooth as the others.
    Mine will feed my clone of Lyman 358-429 Keith smooth, but only in 38spl brass. I could probably crimp over the front driving band in 357, but don’t because I have others that work.

I have no experience with a 92 in 357, but the 45 I had would eat anything shorter than the NOE 454-276 swc.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Trying to think ahead with my next Accurate Molds purchase. . .

I am going to be ordering an LFN/WFN style mold in the 158-170 grain range to fill a niche in the handgun boolit inventory.

There exists the possibility of a later purchase of a .357 Ruger/Marlin 1894 or perhaps an 1892 clone. Because of this hypothetical lever gun, I'm looking at keeping the nose in front of the crimp groove down to 0.30" to stay at SAAMI max COAL. Considering meplat diameters of 0.24" to 0.27".

Any input you can give on what runs and what chokes in those guns would be appreciated.

After shooting more levergun in handgun cartridges lately.. I can say.. that many hate SWC cartridges.. I much prefer rnfp.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Lee 125 or 158 RNFP all the way. My Rossi and Marlin love 'em. BTW, the 158 will take a gas check no problemo.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

You can alter the lifter and allow a slight increase in OAL.

For instance one of my favorites is the Lyman 358429. But its always been far too long. Since my alterations it feeds the 429 seated and crimped in its crimp groove.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    The wider the meplat the more problematic. All my leverguns prefer either round-flat nose or truncated cones nose shapes.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

I havent cast for mine yet but I bought some acme coated bullets with a round nose flat point. As others have said they're working great for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My 1894C feeds full wadcutters smoothly and I have done this modification so it will feed anything shorter than 1.650 OAL.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ighlight=1894c
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Both my Marlins a carbine, and a CB did so-so with a Keith style SWC in .357.
    The same boolit in a .38Spec. case---- not so much.
    If I ever get another mold for .357cal, it will be a RN.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-08-2023 at 04:30 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

OK. Multiple endorsements of the Lee 358-158-RF, which looks pretty similar in nose profiled to the .27" meplat WFN types I'm considering. Lee's site claims a crimp-groove to nose length of .36" on that one. Unless we're dealing with trimmed brass, that's a hypothetical COAL of 1.65" - so in theory that works in an unaltered Marlin?
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My stock 1982 vintage Marlin eats 'em all day long.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

IIIIIIINTERSTING. . . That hypothetical 1.65" COAL of the Lee 158gr. turns out to be the exact length of my GP-100's cylinder plus the rim of a chambered cartridge - so, basically LONG, and any wheelgun round will need to be at least marginally shorter.

Considering the Lee has a pretty aggressive meplat, it seems like this should not be that difficult a proposition.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master

The Larson group buy C358-180-RF has a nose to crimp of only .300. I find it hard to believe that the 358-158-RF goes .350. There is a drawing of the Larson boolit here:

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm

The SAECO #353 180 grain FN has a nose to crimp of .330 and would not feed in my Marlin without the carrier modification. A .350 nose to crimp would certainly hang up on the edge of the magazine tube when the lifter started to rise.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I have an extremely early Rossi '92 Trapper chambered for 38 and/or 357, came to me with a Lyman receiver sight installed for the previous owner. After loading all test ammo with .357 Magnum brass I found the following. First, I got my tightest groups with the Lyman 358156 mold pattern wearing a gas check (also tested heavier and lighter boolits). Second, this boolit, crimped in the groove, slid into the chamber easy and no stalls or hiccups. This rifle feels so light and small in the hand I sometimes wonder if it would ride in a belt holster.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The Larson group buy C358-180-RF has a nose to crimp of only .300. I find it hard to believe that the 358-158-RF goes .350. There is a drawing of the Larson boolit here:

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm

The SAECO #353 180 grain FN has a nose to crimp of .330 and would not feed in my Marlin without the carrier modification. A .350 nose to crimp would certainly hang up on the edge of the magazine tube when the lifter started to rise.
    It puzzled me as well, but all I have to go on is Lee's site which says "Distance from the crimp groove to the nose of the bullet = .360 inches". Overall bullet length is given as .630".

I suspect it is probably a typo on Lee's part. The Accurate 36-158VB looks like a spot-on clone of the Lee, complete with bevel base and .630" overall length, and it has a nose of .30". Given that SAAMI max for a .357 case calls for a nose .30" or shorter, this seems pretty likely.

At any rate, the Lee's nose profile matches many of the Accurate designs I've been considering for a tumble luber for the wheelguns, so knowing that'll run in a lever action is very helpful. Thanks guys!

WWJMBD?

My Marlin 1894 feeds wadcutters reliably. It also shoots accurately with the RCBS 158 grain semi-wadcutter gas check bullet. The Lyman 358429 in .357 cases will not feed at all in my rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
    My Marlin 1894 feeds wadcutters reliably. It also shoots accurately with the RCBS 158 grain semi-wadcutter gas check bullet. The Lyman 358429 in .357 cases will not feed at all in my rifle.
    Good intel - is the Lyman/Keith that fails to feed seated to the crimp groove, or crimped over the front band?
    WWJMBD?

Never crimp over the front band with a levergun.
    The cartridges in your tube magazine might telescope from recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast