Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 Leverguns - nose length & profiles for best feeding?

Vendor Sponsor

Any boolit profile should feed flawlessly in any of the new Ruglins. Reason being they are breaking the sharp edge on the chamber mouth on all the guns.

Read this; https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...lin-1894-rifle They are doing this during chambering now so you don't have to. Chambering is being done by Single Point Boring on Strait Wall Chambers instead of using a Chambering Reamer. Simple to add a Small Radius at the beginning of the finish pass.

SWC's are the preferred boolit style for anything .357 and above. Keith invented it and he got it right. No need to look elsewhere. That said just about any boolit style will work well on the receiving end from a .44 or .45 just because of the size of the boolit. Anything weighing 250 gr+ traveling at 1600 fps + will take down just about anything in N/A. The 310 gr Lee .44 cal. Boolit with 2 Crimp Grooves and a Gas Check is an inexpensive way to get into "Heavy for Caliber Boolits." They are not hard to get above 1500+ fps from a rifle and that puts them above Low Recoil 1 oz. Shotgun Slugs running 1300 fps.

The good thing about the new Marlin Rifles, is that the .44's and .45's both have 1:20 twist barrels so they will stabilize longer/heavier boolits so you don't have to drive them at Warp Speed to get decent accuracy.

MY 1894CB 24 from 2005 has a 1:38 twist barrel and I have to run my 250-260 gr SWC's at 1600fps+ to get good accuracy. (2 MOA with Iron Sights.) There is a reason it has a Big Pachmayer Recoil Pad on the back end!

Anyway I am very enthusiastic about the New Marlin Rifles. Just be patient they will arrive.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Not a thread hijack, but a question about 357 rifle vs pistol loads. B-I-L has some .357 magnum reloads from my deceased father, marked .357 magnum (rifle load). I don't have a .357 rifle, wished I did, but honestly, didn't now there would be a difference.

Thanks in advance

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Not a thread hijack, but a question about 357 rifle vs pistol loads. B-I-L has some .357 magnum reloads from my deceased father, marked .357 magnum (rifle load). I don't have a .357 rifle, wished I did, but honestly, didn't now there would be a difference.

Thanks in advance
    la5676, If the load data is on the box, that may be a clue as to what your father had in mind, but if all you have is "rifle load", it could mean:

Load worked up for a rifle's barrel length.
    Load worked up for a specific gun (as in, he had five revolvers, but only one rifle)
    Might have been uncomfortable to shoot in a handgun.
    Worked it out to feed in a rifle (not an issue with revolvers so long as bullet nose length isn't excessive)

The Lyman manual lists the .357 and several other popular levergun/revolver cartridges in two separate sections. I've not yet delved too deeply, but if one had no intent to shoot the ammo through a handgun, powders with slower burn rates could be used to maximize a rifle barrel's velocity potential, but might lead to an incomplete burn if tried in handguns.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    la5676, If the load data is on the box, that may be a clue as to what your father had in mind, but if all you have is "rifle load", it could mean:

Load worked up for a rifle's barrel length.
    Load worked up for a specific gun (as in, he had five revolvers, but only one rifle)
    Might have been uncomfortable to shoot in a handgun.
    Worked it out to feed in a rifle (not an issue with revolvers so long as bullet nose length isn't excessive)

The Lyman manual lists the .357 and several other popular levergun/revolver cartridges in two separate sections. I've not yet delved too deeply, but if one had no intent to shoot the ammo through a handgun, powders with slower burn rates could be used to maximize a rifle barrel's velocity potential, but might lead to an incomplete burn if tried in handguns.
    Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sound like pressurewise, we have much to be concerned with then. I had never heard that the .357 rifle could handle more than the wheelgun for the same cartridge. I've been lazy, and decided to ask here first, before I consulted my Lyman 46th or whatever I have out in the shop, but just didn't remember a separation of the two different loads previous to B-I-L pointing it out. And, no, load data is not on box.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Bigslug. I have an 1894cs Remlin (a good one) from 2018(?), that I shoot Accurate mold 36-180ug seated to 1.580 oal with the case trimmed to seat in the crimping groove (1.28 I think) in. It feeds slick and is very accurate over H110. It's a WFN.
    Last edited by T-Bird; 02-19-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    It puzzled me as well, but all I have to go on is Lee's site which says "Distance from the crimp groove to the nose of the bullet = .360 inches". Overall bullet length is given as .630".

I suspect it is probably a typo on Lee's part. The Accurate 36-158VB looks like a spot-on clone of the Lee, complete with bevel base and .630" overall length, and it has a nose of .30". Given that SAAMI max for a .357 case calls for a nose .30" or shorter, this seems pretty likely.

At any rate, the Lee's nose profile matches many of the Accurate designs I've been considering for a tumble luber for the wheelguns, so knowing that'll run in a lever action is very helpful. Thanks guys!

It's definitly a typo. My copy of the 358-158-RF measures .26" from nose to crimp groove which makes COAL of 1.55" - just about perfect for any .357.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the Ranch Dog 190 gr made for the 35 Remington. Crimp on the ogive. Flawless feeding in my 3 Marlins, great accuracy. I know this is not in the weight range you specified, it is one of two designs I now use in 357 rifles, the other being Lee 125 RF.

I compete in CASS and the Lee 125 RF and maybe 158 RF are the most common cast bullets used for those that cast. Probably due to the low cost of the molds. 1894 Marlins, 73 Win and 92 Win. and clones all run that bullet