Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 FL Sizing Die Problems

Boolit Master
    "I've reckoned it's worth the extra few pennies to buy ONLY new -- if, for nothing else, the guaranteed SAAMI spec's on that I'm buying... and, a warranty."
    My sentiments exactly. Buy once - cry once. Buying something that you have to fight to get to work right, while the correct part is widely available, is just spilling dollars to pick up nickles.

Don’t think “ buy once - cry once” is the answer he was looking for. He has the shortened dies, are they still useable for that rifle? They sure are, good answers above and lots of info on setting dies on Castboolits. Lots of helpful people around here, lots.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Sorta related, I have a rifle in 8 x 57 that will not chamber a brass case sized where the bottom of the sizing die is tight against the shell holder . The die is correct but the gun is slightly short chambered so instead of modifying the die I took about .010 off the top of a shell holder with my belt sander and the brass now fits properly. I colored the shell holder blue so I don’t use it with other calibers I load with the same case head size. I probably have a dozen of that size shell holders and that was the easy way to fix the problem.
    Jedman
    I've done this numerous times when converting one caliber to another. Usually you get enough spring back when pushing a shoulder back that a case will not chamber or chamber with difficulty.

Grinding down the shellholder is the fastest, easiest way to get a case to chamber. After fireforming, a standard shellholder will generally work just fine.

I load for a Rigby 350 Magnum, every time I reload I have to use a ground shellholder or it takes consider effort to close the bolt. I think this is the only one that the ground shellholder is required on every loading.

Cheaper to grind a shellholder then have the possibility to irreparably damaging what is potentially an expensive or almost unobtainable die.

My last go around doing this was for 500 N.E. brass that I was converting to 500/450. Die sets for this are, put you name on the list and we'll get back to you in a couple of years. I could only find 1 sizer die in the country. No expanders, no seaters. I use dies from 3 different calibers to load these. And did NOT modify the correct sizer die. But did grind a shellholder to get them to chamber initially.

Boolit Master
    set the die up to only partial length resize..as per what Nosler manuals #2 #3 recomended all them years ago has seen me right for 30 years....when setting up dies,screw down onto shell holder BUT INSTEAD of screwing in the extra turn to ensure case is squished down the last little bit,screw die BACK OUT 1 turn..and try chambering case...if you get it just right you will see 3/4 of neck has been resized and last wee bit hasnt..works brass much less and will allow you to continue using shortened dies you have without issue..MAYBE try 2 turns out and screw down 1/4 turn at a time till happy,then set locking ring in place and screw that wee grub screw in tight....

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    screw that wee grub screw in tight....
    Haven't heard the term grub screw in 40 years, last time was when I was being taught how to build cmm's(coordinate measuring machines) in the early 80's.

By a Welshman.

Goofier then a 3 dollar bill. Was unmerciful in his derision of the deer hunters in the shop because it was so cruel. Next sentence he was bragging about playing "football" on the weekends in a semipro league and breaking some bloke's leg. He was the team enforcer.

Interesting view on life. And he was a hardcore carnivore. But hated hunters.

Grub screw. Weird the memories a word or two can bring back.

Boolit Buddy

Probably not the best advice but this worked for me. I have a 71 Mauser carbine that I was feeding brass made from 45-90. I kept getting mis fires and assumed I had pushed the shoulder back too far. I had a pair of heavy fencing pliers in the truck so I just squished the bullets way out of round so I would have to force the bolt closed. Interestingly even a heavily deformed 11mm bullet shoots quite well.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12