RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 460S&W 400gr vs 500gr loads

Question 460S&W 400gr vs 500gr loads

Hello all, I’m just getting into casting, however, I’ve hand loaded for around 20 years. That being said I’m familiar with the basics but am a newbie with loading cast bullets. I have a S&W 7.5” performance center in 460 and want to either work up 400gr or 500gr hard cast gas checked and probably powder or hitek coated boolits. I’m trying to decide between these 2 accurate molds 45-500S and 45-400S but am open to others suggestions or ideas. I haven’t found much on here with this caliber and grain weight so if any of you have messed around with this I’d love some input. Thanks in advance!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot that caliber in a encore rifle barrel that is 20 inch so my input is probable null and void , but I shoot a 405 gr. powder coat bullet with 2400 powder and recoil is noticeable to say the least but very accurate and painful for the hog population .

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you have heavier tan 400 # hogs you see daily a 400 grainer at 900-950 fps is going to take care all of the piggies it smashes into.
    Hardcast is not the solution to accuracy or lethality.
    Plain WW is plenty. We use range scrap for our 400 grainers at 950 FPS from our 7.5" BFW 475 Linebaugh.
    Fit, proper cast diameter is the key to 90%+ of shooting lead.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Thanks for the input so far! To elaborate I’m not actually hunting with this. I’m super into target shooting and it’s just for fun. I am eventually going to get several molds but without published load data for 400gr+ I didn’t know if anyone here messed around with this.

Why do you want a heavier bullet for target though? Im loading the lee 300gr bullet powder coated and gas checked and it's working great.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

It’s more just because I can and enjoy really banging that steel around. I just shot my first cast boots (300gr Lee Mould) and they worked great! It’s pretty fun getting into this and I look forward to Learning more from all you! I ended up ordering the 500gr and will post some results once I get it and start messing around with it.