Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 358311

Lyman 358311

After all my talking about various Keith molds from Lyman and other vendors, I ordered myself a Lyman 358311 the other day. I have the .44 version of the same design and I just enjoy loading and shooting "old-fashioned" looking bullets sometimes, even though I know other designs are better for almost everything. I blame OS OK and this post: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4848571

As soon as I get done with school by July (finally finishing after 38 years!), I'm going to start playing with powder coating.

Boolit Master
    I have a 4 cavity mold of this. The bullets cast real nice, and drop easily from this mold. I found that this bullet shoots very accurate. Not a good design for big game hunting, due to it's RN profile. I have shot both powder coated and grease lubed with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    After all my talking about various Keith molds from Lyman and other vendors, I ordered myself a Lyman 358311 the other day. I have the .44 version of the same design and I just enjoy loading and shooting "old-fashioned" looking bullets sometimes, even though I know other designs are better for almost everything. I blame OS OK and this post: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4848571

As soon as I get done with school by July (finally finishing after 38 years!), I'm going to start playing with powder coating.
    "Oh my gosh...I'm sorry! But...not really though. It's a compliment to be blamed for something that inspired a fellow caster! So...thank you!"

I love the .38S, I started back in 1974 with that as my first caliber to load in my RCBS 'starter kit'...even lube-sizing but how the times have changed since.
    I have collected a few different profiles and enjoy casting, PC'ing & loading them all but like you that 358311 is an all time favorite.

It was intentional trying to mix PC to get a dark grey/black that resembled aged lead but quite accidental that I got the speckled...what I call now, 'old lead' coating.
    It comes from gloss black & white mixed 50/50 but the powders are made by different companies and I can't be sure which is what? I still have quite a bit left of both colors but I fear that once this PC is used up...I may never get this color variation again!

Good luck in your endeavors...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    "Oh my gosh...I'm sorry! But...not really though. It's a compliment to be blamed for something that inspired a fellow caster! So...thank you!"

I love the .38S, I started back in 1974 with that as my first caliber to load in my RCBS 'starter kit'...even lube-sizing but how the times have changed since.
    I have collected a few different profiles and enjoy casting, PC'ing & loading them all but like you that 358311 is an all time favorite.
    (...images clipped...)
    It was intentional trying to mix PC to get a dark grey/black that resembled aged lead but quite accidental that I got the speckled...what I call now, 'old lead' coating.
    It comes from gloss black & white mixed 50/50 but the powders are made by different companies and I can't be sure which is what? I still have quite a bit left of both colors but I fear that once this PC is used up...I may never get this color variation again!

Good luck in your endeavors...charlie
    No, thank you!

.38 Spl was also my first to shoot and reload in the late 80s. That was because I had borrowed a friend's Security Six and I could by the WCC LRN stuff for something like 3.99 a box at Nix in Lewisville. My first purchase was a GP-100 that saw a lot of the same thing. I then got a Lee Reloader press and cranked out a lot of reloads with my saved brass, Unique, and locally sourced commercially cast bullets.

But I always like the looks of the WCC LRNs.

I certainly hope you can figure out how to reproduce the "old lead" color formula.

Boolit Master
    OS OK, I just LOVE your "Sorry, not SORRY!" reply, to being accused of getting someone deep(er) into the art of bullet casting! I feel the same way, whenever I take an anti-gunner shooting and, on the way back from the range, they ask,
    "What kind of pistol would be best for me?"

It doesn't have Robert Duvall's "napalm/gasoline smell", but it sure FEELS like another form of VICTORY!

Pardon the (OTHER) slight non-sequitur to the thread, but does anyone know who might make a "flat point" version of the Lyman #358430 "pelvis crusher"? At .357 Magnum velocities (which I contemplate more than .38 Spl. velocities), I cannot imagine that a "less round nose" configuration would detract appreciably from its capacity for deep penetration.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    OS OK, I just LOVE your "Sorry, not SORRY!" reply, to being accused of getting someone deep(er) into the art of bullet casting! I feel the same way, whenever I take an anti-gunner shooting and, on the way back from the range, they ask,
    "What kind of pistol would be best for me?"

It doesn't have Robert Duvall's "napalm/gasoline smell", but it sure FEELS like another form of VICTORY!
    I feel the same way. It's been a while, but I used to try to get everyone to the range that I could. It was true that if I could get someone to the range, I could change their anti-gun mindset.

Some people will refuse to go. I think it is because they are either that terrified of everything dangerous about the world, or they simply know that they will probably enjoy shooting and have to change their minds.

Of course, there are those who cling to their dumb ideas no matter what you do.

cognitive dissonance ... This may be the monster they wrestle with?

Cognitive dissonance
    In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the perception of contradictory information, and the mental toll of it. Relevant items of information include a person's actions, feelings, ideas, beliefs, values, and things in the environment. Cognitive dissonance is typically experienced as psychological stress when persons participate in an action that goes against one or more of those things. According to this theory, when two actions or ideas are not psychologically consistent with each other, people do all in their power to change them until they become consistent. The discomfort is triggered by the person's belief clashing with new information perceived, wherein the individual tries to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort. Wikipedia

EDIT: @ KOSH (ASKING...does anyone know who might make a "flat point" version of the Lyman #358430 "pelvis crusher"?)

I HAVE HAD erik@hollowpointmold.com modify a combination mould I have to cast HP's. He is a magician with moulds. I would imagine he could easily modify a SWC or FWC mould cavity to cast a wide point 200 grain. It would be worth a try.

Here's what he did with this combination mould...

He provided me with 3 different sets of pins...3, 4 & 5 sided hollow point pin sets.

The guy is a magician!
    Last edited by OS OK; 02-07-2023 at 02:35 PM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I shoot a lot of the 358311 in 38spl. It's just a good shooting, accurate round, that doesn't hang up when doing reload drills (something I suggest everyone practice from time to time). Personally I load it up with 4.0-4.2gr of Unique, which is a very moderate load in Ultralight Snubs. But I have loaded it up towards 5.0gr which wasn't too bad in either a 4" Model 65 or a 2" SP101. I have this bullet in both an older 4cav Ideal mold with the square lube grooves, and a new Lyman 2cav with round grooves. They shoot identically to the point that I can mix/match them when loading. Making casting/reloading sessions a little more productive. Though the nose and front band profiles are a little different. I generally seat and gently crimp into the front band to make it a little easier on my brass. But a solid roll crimp into the crimp groove works well in heavier loads.

Personally it wouldn't be my first choice for a hunting round. But loaded to 357 velocities it can be a performer, especially with softer alloys. Especially if hitting a tougher skinned critter. I have taken a few armadillos with it. They didn't seem to care which boolit I shot them with...

I too just recently started messing around with PCing my boolits. I even built an oven controller which has proven to be very reliable. And this was the first boolit that I started testing my process with. I've been very happy with my results. I'm sure you will too. Just drop 4.0-4.2gr of Unique under it with a standard primer and go to town.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found that there is no cast bullet appreciably more accurate in a 38 than the 358-311. In fact, most cannot begin to equal it. The only bullet that I ever found that was more accurate at all, and that only by a tiny bit, was a properly loaded, 148 grain, button nose wadcutter. And were you to tell me that your gun shoots it better, I would never call you a liar.

It is not my first choice for a defensive load: after all, there is a reason for hollow point, controlled expansion ammunition. But for making ammo that shoots close and to point of aim in older fixed sight revolvers, it is the cats meow.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Recently found an old ideal 358311 single cavity at a flea market in box with black metal reinforcements on each corner I so wanted to leave it for someone else but did I mention how beautiful the bullets are even casting them one at a time? Old school but true quality from an Era long gone
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master

What a great boolit....I can echo all the positives already mentioned above; accurate, easy loading, good shooting, etc. but the best of all, it's just a great looking boolit for .38spl. Between the 358311 and 358432 (148gr), those are the only things that get shot in my family heirloom S&W M&P's (pre Model 10's).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W M&P.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	310638

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    What a great boolit....I can echo all the positives already mentioned above; accurate, easy loading, good shooting, etc. but the best of all, it's just a great looking boolit for .38spl. Between the 358311 and 358432 (148gr), those are the only things that get shot in my family heirloom S&W M&P's (pre Model 10's).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W M&P.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	310638

Those are very nice!