RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 Blackout in Bolt Action or AR Plateform

Boolit Buddy
    I have an AAC Single Shot with a 1/7" twist. It shoots anything 150 and heavier great but anything less, it shoots about 3-4". I swage a 250 boattail that will shoot an inch or a bit better at 100 out of the little thing. Another interesting load is Speer 150 Hot Cores with a top load of Shooters World Socom. Shoots about an inch at 2100 fps. No joy with cast bullets of any weight.

I experimented with all sorts of things to get the 250's to expand at subsonic speeds including pre-fragmented cores, hollow points, etc. They have a huge lead tip. No significant expansion with anything I did. The Hornady 190 grain factory ammo expands a bit and shoots pretty well.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thanks folks, I 'spose I can cross the .300 off my list. Don't need another jacketed only rifle to feed!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    It would probably be an interesting cast bullet cartridge with a slower twist. 1-10 - 1-12 or so

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    It would probably be an interesting cast bullet cartridge with a slower twist. 1-10 - 1-12 or so
    Exactly what I thought. A ten twist 300 BO would be lots of fun.
    My 7.62x39 and 6.8 SPC AR15 rifles both have 1-10” twist and shot cast well from the very first load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you want to get a bolt action, a .308 can do everything the .300 BO can do and a heck of a lot more.

But if you like cute little cases....it does not scratch that itch.
    Except smaller magazine capacity if that matters to the user.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Exactly what I thought. A ten twist 300 BO would be lots of fun.
    My 7.62x39 and 6.8 SPC AR15 rifles both have 1-10” twist and shot cast well from the very first load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a 6.8 SPC II with a 11 T, but casts out of it doesn't appeal to me. However, I have a Wild Cat (30 Saber Cat) with 11.25 T and uses a necked up Dasher case that I may try with casts. Both are light weight (under 7 lbs with optic, loaded and suppressor).

Afterthought question: I have an adjustable gas block on my AR, but it's a mid-length system and wondering if that might cause a cycling issue with subs?
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 02-09-2023 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    I have a 6.8 SPC II with a 11 T, but casts out of it doesn't appeal to me. However, I have a Wild Cat (30 Saber Cat) with 11.25 T and uses a necked up Dasher case that I may try with casts. Both are light weight (under 7 lbs with optic, loaded and suppressor).

Afterthought question: I have an adjustable gas block on my AR, but it's a mid-length system and wondering if that might cause a cycling issue with subs?
    Yes. Most have to go with a pistol length gas system to get subs to run. You can always run a reduced spring and lighten the buffer but not really the way to go.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

The bolt I built a couple years ago, I did with a 1-12 twist. Shoots awesome cast or jacketed.
    Remington action, McGowen barrel.
    But I do have both this and an upper for AR, they have their place, but for a one gun n done, bolt hands down.
    Way more versatile.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to the LGS today to see what they had and end up buying a 46 cal can that's rated for all the big bores (45cal and less) and you can remove the baffle stacks. It also comes with a 30 cal adaptor and piston system for pistols.

I need to start looking for a threaded 45-70 or is there something else I should be looking at for casts?
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 02-09-2023 at 05:27 PM. Reason: additional question

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    I have a Savage Model 12 in 223 I can covert to Blackout or buy a dedicated 300 BA. However, I've been leaning towards an AR.

My biggest draw back on the AR is that it may not feed FN bullets reliably. I will be shooting them super and subsonic with a suppressor.

Give me your thoughts between bolt action or AR feeding?
    I have a Ruger American in 300 and had a Diamondback in 300. I love the bolt and got rid of the AR....I have never liked them. The Diamondback was great and had a good trigger and was plenty accurate but I just hate the AR platform...had over 5 over the years and just plain dont like them. The Ruger is a tack driver and with the can on it is super quiet. Hope this helps.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I f you want to shoot cast try the 300 HAM'R with the 1-15 twist ,I am shooting 185 gr. into 1 inch groups running around 1700 fps out of a ar-15

Boolit Master
    Both and just see, been there done that, duplicate! Then figure out that you will probably keep both and just get on with it.

Boolit Master

Given that you can get something approximating big bullet performance out of a 5.56 by using the likes of bonded core or Barnes expanding coppers, I don't see much sense in converting an AR into anything else.

If you're interested in having a truly effective suppressor, anything with a reciprocating action and a sproingy buffer spring kinda burns that notion to the ground.

And then yes, there's big meplat cast bullets.

BOLT GUN!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12