RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout in Bolt Action or AR Plateform

Boolit Buddy

300 Blackout in Bolt Action or AR Plateform

I have a Savage Model 12 in 223 I can covert to Blackout or buy a dedicated 300 BA. However, I've been leaning towards an AR.

My biggest draw back on the AR is that it may not feed FN bullets reliably. I will be shooting them super and subsonic with a suppressor.

Give me your thoughts between bolt action or AR feeding?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I say bolt gun all the way. Use any ammo you can think of in it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for bolt gun. Much quieter and not ammo sensitive.

Trying to go sub & super in an AR can be frustrating given the gas system as it likely will need adjusting when you change.
    Or, accept it for what it is and set it up for just one or the other.

I have 2 BO ARs, both feed FN fine but use Lancer mags. 31-142C and 31-168C.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I have 2 BO ARs, both feed FN fine but use Lancer mags. 31-142C and 31-168C.
    Bought a complete upper or built? Barrels, etc. and/or any specifics would be appreciated.

I put together. Kak 10" 1:8 pistol barrel and McGown 18" 1:10 barrel. Aero lower and upper (slick sided older model) with the atlas R1 HG that I really like. Very strong lockup on the HG, others slide off too easy under recoil. The magpul 223 mags don't work well with FP bullets.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I have both and the ruger ranch rifle is much more picky than the ar on fn bullets and both equally accurate

Boolit Master
    BOLT GUN

But if you must AR. This is the only factor that maters. PISTOL length gas port is the only way to go.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

i have a remington aac model 7 in 30 bo and it eats anything and much heavier loads than a semiauto, i run 125,s at 2400 fps and 150,s and 2200 fps with litgun.

Boolit Master

I have both and much prefer the bolt action.

Subsonics in an AR must generate significant gas volume (full or almost full case of slow pistol /fast rifle powder to function.

In the 16" Howa Mini bolt gun, I am using between four and five grains of a fast pistol powder with the MP 311-410 hollow point bullets. Suppressed in the bolt gun is ridiculously quiet.

For most applications, the 311-410 is my go to boolit.

If I need heavier, there are many more choices.

.300 BO sounds like it would be a ton of fun in my Ruger American Ranch.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I put together. Kak 10" 1:8 pistol barrel and McGown 18" 1:10 barrel. Aero lower and upper (slick sided older model) with the atlas R1 HG that I really like. Very strong lockup on the HG, others slide off too easy under recoil. The magpul 223 mags don't work well with FP bullets.
    I was going to use a 300 Blackout Mag for longer COL so its good to know the Lancer Mag work well.

Boolit Master

I use lancer 300 blackout mags for my 300 BLK and 300 HAM'R.

Lancer 300 BLK mags are good to go to avoid cartridge binding you get in traditional 223 mags.

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of accuracy out of subsonic @ 100 yds should one expect ?

Don't shoot subs but supers are touching. I do shoot slow (1400 fps) 170gr from the pistol (gas) with 2400. Cheap to shoot and easy to load. Most hog hunters still use 110-125gr supers. Follow up shots are easier!
    Whatever!

i have two blackout ars, one for super and one for subs...I had trouble finding a cast bullet that would work well for subs and that is the MP mould HP NOT powder coated. If i had a bolt gun anything could be used quite well in only one rifle, but once you find the winning formula in your AR its fun... especially suppressed. I have a sightmark 300 BLK scope on my sub rig and it spot on. 12 inch gong at 200 with hold over at the 200 mark all day even with a 1-6. I digress.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a 16" BO AR upper and have a couple of loads for it, both using 220 gr. plated. One load reliably works the action and is nicely quiet. The other load doesn't cycle the action (which is just fine) and is extremely quiet (think Hollywood movie quiet). I find it convenient to have the option of no bolt noise if so desired.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want to get a bolt action, a .308 can do everything the .300 BO can do and a heck of a lot more.

But if you like cute little cases....it does not scratch that itch.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you want to get a bolt action, a .308 can do everything the .300 BO can do and a heck of a lot more.

But if you like cute little cases....it does not scratch that itch.
    I agree, however the smaller case works better if all you use are sub 2000 fps loads. Heck, I use .300 Savage load data in my .308's. Less powder, just as accurate, and critters still go dead. I wonder if I could come up with a good .300 BO load for the RCBS 30-150-FN at 1800 fps or so?

The 1-7” twist .300 BO rifle that I built did not deliver acceptable accuracy with any cast bullets that I tried-subsonic or supersonic.
    It shot 110 gr Vmax into an inch @100yds, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast