1 4.55%

4 18.18%

7 31.82%
  • 7 or More

10 45.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Skunks Under The House

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    But, My Bitter half likes Eagles...and Only Possum draw more Eagles than a Skunk...
    The same effect happens here too, but with buzzards.

We have eagles pass through as they migrate, but they only seem to hunt near the shallow/swampy parts of the lake.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Years ago Mom had one to go up the drain to the washing machine, it was an interesting few days.

Had a friend get sprayed while trapping. He was driving down the road with nothing on but his drawers and hanging out the window of his pickup. He met a Highway Patrolman who turned and stopped him. The patrolman jumped out and started running up the the truck. He was yelling " What in the....... Never mind I understand, you can go".

Had a buddy that worked heavy construction.
    On a job site one time there was a skunk in under some boxes or something they needed to move.

As the crew stood at a safe distance figuring out what to do....
    Some city kid said, "If you're gentle, move slow, and don't scare them, they won't spray".

Naturally, none of the other guys said anything.
    Then he started moving towards it, and when the skunk couldn't or wouldn't back up any farther,,,,,,
    As the kid reached down to pick it up,,,, he got a valuable lesson and a whole new perspective on skunk behavior.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-09-2023 at 03:00 AM.

EVERYONE!

Moderator Emeritus

I was taking the trash out one night... heard a noise and turned to see a skunk 20' away from me about to spray... snap shot with the .380acp I carry and a hollow point...

Oh I was downwind...

yeah...

Word of caution, don't shoot a skunk in the exit hole when the wind is blowing in your face...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I was taking the trash out one night... heard a noise and turned to see a skunk 20' away from me about to spray... snap shot with the .380acp I carry and a hollow point...

Oh I was downwind...

yeah...

Word of caution, don't shoot a skunk in the exit hole when the wind is blowing in your face...
    Now that is advice we can use! We are up to 5.
    Last edited by jonp; 02-12-2023 at 05:58 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I was walking along the creek looking for things to shoot at one fine summer morning. Had my Ruger 10/22 in my right hand.

All of a sudden I heard a kind of angry chittering sound, stopped dead in my tracks. Looked down, and less than a foot from my right leg was a black and white tail.
    Well the ruger automatically came to point, safety off, finger hovering near the trigger, barrel aimed at momma skunk's head.

About that time my head commenced to work and I started talking.

"Now just hold on a second momma, what we have here is mutually assured destruction. If you shoot, I'm going to shoot. If I shoot your going to shoot.
    But how about you quit prancing on your paws showing me how upset you are and let me back up just one step?

Backing now.

One step turned into 2, then 4, then I was 20 yards back and she disappeared like a magician.

Well I backed up a little more and circled right into the woods until I had a good view of ground zero.

And I discovered the reason for the appearing disappearing act and the agitation.
    There was an old steel 6" culvert which disappeared into the ground at an angle. I suspect she had a passle of baby's in there and I was less than 18" from it when we had our showdown. Eventually I saw baby's come out and play in the sun, cute as all get out. Like a fuzzy kitten with a single shot flare gun mounted to shoot out the butt. Cute and terrifying all at the same time.

The good news is no skunks were hurt, I did not get sprayed or hurt, everyone was able to continue onward on their journey through an awesome summer morning.
    Life is good.

But boy that black and white tail a foot from my leg sure had my heart going.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Skunks are curious critters and if you sit still they will come up and sniff you and check you out then wander off. I had one do it while I was sitting in the deer stand(old chair leaned up against a tree, just hidden in the brush). It sniffed, rubbed against me a few times so I took a chance and started petting it. It sat there and let me stroke the top of its head for 10 minutes before it got up and wandered off. If they don't perceive a threat they don't spray!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    . It sat there and let me stroke the top of its head for 10 minutes before it got up and wandered off.

That is a bigger act of bravery than whoever ate the first raw oyster.

EVERYONE!

The thing about skunks is that they like to move into dens that are already dug if possible.
    They don't always wait until the previous owner has moved out.
    We had a ground hog den in the front of our house and a family of skunks evidently sub-letted it from the ground hogs that dug it.
    Funny thing is they got along fine for months.
    I don't know what happened, perhaps the ground hog raised the rent, but there was a quarrel and the skunk(s) let loose.
    My wife was not a happy camper, she hired a professional to eradicate the skunks to a tune of hundreds of dollars.

No skunks here, but those porcupines can sure chew up the crawl spaces. They love the outhouse also.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyman View Post
    No skunks here, but those porcupines can sure chew up the crawl spaces. They love the outhouse also.
    They must not have a very acute sense of smell.

Boolit Grand Master

Just caught a Possum. He didn't look happy and hissed at us but when we let him wander off over back of the soybean field he headed to the wild blue yonder and never looked back

Boolit Master
    Please don't ran over one with a motorcycle. It took a couple days to get the smell off the bike, had to leave it outside. I usually kept it in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Please don't ran over one with a motorcycle. It took a couple days to get the smell off the bike, had to leave it outside. I usually kept it in the living room.
    Don't run over an armadillo either. Did it by accident with my goldwing. It smelled of cooked armadillo for months. And it did smell

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Here shortly youll need to up the numbers in the poll. Spring is coming and the skunks will only have one thing on their mind.Numbers will grow fast depending on the number of females

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    They must not have a very acute sense of smell.
    They love the glue in the plywood. I had one chew on mine every morning about dawn. After several days I finally hopped out of bed, grabbed my pistol and ran out and chased it into the woods then shot it. I then realized I was naked and running around in the woods with a gun.

Caught another one last night. 6 skunks and a possum so far.

I had the aroma fill the house around 4:30 this morning. They're getting active here. I live in town, so no shooting in the yard for me. I do trap them though. Guess it's time to put cat food on the grocery list.
    Deplorable infidel

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    If they would stay out of the chicken nests and not destroy pheasant nests I would leave them be, but I think they are one reason we have few pheasants any more. Now a good tame pet skunk might be kind of interesting, especially if they rode well in the truck !
    I had an uncle that lived way down in Louisiana, he had a pet skunk that had been de-scented and I gotta tell you, that fat little booger was a TON of fun! It was smart, loved to play and jump around, it ran throughout the house you could hear it's claws "tick tick tick" loved to be petted. They do make good pets.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    They love the glue in the plywood. I had one chew on mine every morning about dawn. After several days I finally hopped out of bed, grabbed my pistol and ran out and chased it into the woods then shot it. I then realized I was naked and running around in the woods with a gun.

Caught another one last night. 6 skunks and a possum so far.
    Glad I didn't see that, some things you can't unsee.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That is a bigger act of bravery than whoever ate the first raw oyster.
    Nah the skunk wasn't showing any of the signs it was mad. It was rubbing on me just like a cat and sending the same signals as my house cat. I moved really slow, let him smell my hand, he put his head under it so I started a slow petting motion. He laid down next to me totally relaxed...

I have had rabbits come up to me too and just sit there... sniff, one chewed on a boot lace a little...

Animals have always been calm around me, like me etc. Strange dogs will come up to me and be instant friends... stray cats in the neighborhood let me pet them(nobody else can get near them)...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast