4 18.18%

7 31.82%
  • 7 or More

10 45.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Skunks Under The House

Boolit Grand Master

How Many Skunks Under The House

Wife heard some noise then a spray. Ugh! Searched around and found the entrance. After the wife nixed the plan of crawling under there with a 22 pistol or a bodygrip at the entrance I bought a live trap. Put a can of sardines in the end then put it against the opening. Couple of rocks to seal the sides and a towel over it to form a tunnel.

So far i've gotten 4. Probably there all winter happy as clams in the dry crawlspace as ive seen holes in the yard digging for grubs. All good till they started getting frisky with spring. The spray is a female not ready for attention.
    Last edited by jonp; 02-06-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    None under this house, but maybe a few under the other house, fighting with the racoons for rights.

Sounds like you won't be having too many visitors for awhile.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

When I was young a mama skunk raised a litter under our floor. We left them alone and they left us alone. Thankfully after she left they never came back.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I used to have a couple under the front porch - There's one hibernating under the shed behind the barn this winter. A couple of years ago, I took 42 out of the neighborhood. There's no end to em here
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Sounds like you won't be having too many visitors for awhile.
    I like that idea......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I used to have a couple under the front porch - There's one hibernating under the shed behind the barn this winter. A couple of years ago, I took 42 out of the neighborhood. There's no end to em here
    When I ran sled dogs, that was Favrot food, right up there with cats, for them dogs... Just remember, if you are going to try and take one away from any one of the dogs, never and I say never, grab the skunk by the tail...

Boolit Buddy
    I haven’t had any,Skunks under the house. A ground hog,, a opossum or two. I hate when they get up under there and for some reason they can’t find there way back out and die under there…
    then I have to climb under there an get them out.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Fellas .....

What in the world do your foundations look like? Decks/porches I can understand. But under the HOUSE?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Fellas .....

What in the world do your foundations look like? Decks/porches I can understand. But under the HOUSE?
    My other house sits on blocks with tin skirting. No foundation, no slab,

Boolit Master
    Moth Balls... Trust me...Critters hate 'em... Especially Skunks....

I had a close encounter with a groundhog under my porch. Thankfully no skunks yet.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I am still at 78. It's been 4 years or more since we have had one. THANK GOD ...There for a 10 or more years after i retired they just kept coming. Shot in trap with Mosley .40 Tarsus Tactical long slide.. Mounted light blinded them .. heads goes down .. Shoot threw the front shoulders to parallelize them... PLEASE wear hearing protection in pole barn. VERY loud ..

Boolit Master
    I voted 7 or more. I hired a neighbor to move an old wooden 12x28 foot grainery with his hay stack mover. When he backed under it, it was crawling with skunks, and they would not come out from under the building, instead hiding amongst the movers tires, not liking the bright daylight. Eventually we shot about a dozen of them, and when he drove away, several more escaped.

Boolit Master

Can't stop laughing. Deal with a lot of skunks growing up on the farm. They are an adventure.

Boolit Buddy
    Growing up, my dad was a beekeeper. Skunks like to eat honey bees. We stored empty supers on a pallet in each bee yard, the pallets were set on 4 tires. They made for a perfect skunk home, one of the tires would catch water, so they could drink. Another tire would be dry, so they had a dry place to sleep and the bees provided a steady food source. When all the supers came off the pallet we would pick it up and shoot skunks. When a person was by themselves it was fun, you did not know if the skunk(s) was in the tire nearest you or further away. At most they were 6 feet away. I have been kicked out of school more than once, for smelling so bad. Ah, the good old days.

Boolit Master
    Nothing can get under my house but we do get skunks come through the yard at night. I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night from the stink so I came up with a plan. I set up a bait station about 40yds from the bedroom window. It's a wire basket hanging from a post with a string going to a cowbell under the bedroom window. When the cowbell clangs I use a light loaded 22KH with a 40gr boolit and a night vision scope to terminated the little stinkers. Then I get a shovel and transfer them to the field where I plant them the next day with the backhoe. It's almost fun dealing with skunks this way.

I use a wireless driveway monitor from Horrible Freight pointed at a frequented area of the yard. Usually for armadillos at 3am but sometimes skunks when they get too spray-happy. Had one apparently get spooked by my AC unit kicking on right by the house. Wiped out the whole village after that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    When I ran sled dogs, that was Favrot food, right up there with cats, for them dogs... Just remember, if you are going to try and take one away from any one of the dogs, never and I say never, grab the skunk by the tail...
    Well I’ve picked up a lot of skunks and not gotten sprayed. Stand on your tiptoes and tighten up your calf muscles. That’s what the skunk ass to do in order to spray you. Basically contract the muscles in the back of his legs and up near his anus. If you can get him completely off the ground before he has a chance to spray they can’t spray you! Of course you certainly don’t wanna have one slip out of your hands or drop them accidentally! Lol. Oh I don’t believe that garbage about a bath and tomato juice because that don’t work! I can’t tell you how many cans of tomato juice I went through trying to get the stink off my beagle and me when she got a hold of a skunk in our tack room! If you gotta shoot them don’t shoot them in the head they immediately start convulsing and spray all over everything! You either got a separate the brain from the spinal column immediately or I had the best results by shooting them in the heart and walking away! Let them die and don’t disturb them. I’ve only been sprayed twice, once with the beagle, and the first time I dealt with one. I was young newly married and I made a rather stupid mistake in setting a leg hold trap underneath my house in the crawlspace! I don’t know which one is worse dealing with the stink from being sprayed or dealing with my wife for the next several weeks while the place aired out! Lol
    Last edited by poppy42; 02-06-2023 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Damn auto correct!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Well I’ve picked up a lot of skunks and not gotten sprayed. Stand on your tiptoes and tighten up your calf muscles. That’s what the skunk ass to do in order to spray you. Basically contract the muscles in the back of his legs and up near his anus. If you can get him completely off the ground before he has a chance to spray they can’t spray you! Of course you certainly don’t wanna have one slip out of your hands or drop them accidentally! Lol. Oh I don’t believe that garbage about a bath and tomato juice because that don’t work! I can’t tell you how many cans of tomato juice I went through trying to get the stink off my beagle and me when she got a hold of a skunk in our tack room! If you gotta shoot them don’t shoot them in the head they immediately start convulsing and spray all over everything! You either got a separate the brain from the spinal column immediately or I had the best results by shooting them in the heart and walking away! Let them die and don’t disturb them. I’ve only been sprayed twice, once with the beagle, and the first time I dealt with one. I was young newly married and I made a rather stupid mistake in setting a leg hold trap underneath my house in the crawlspace! I don’t know which one is worse dealing with the stink from being sprayed or dealing with my wife for the next several weeks while the place aired out! Lol
    And...since they will Not live where we put moth balls...they still search for a "spot" by the barn... I just shoot em in any old part of the body.. Yea they stink...Bad!!! But, My Bitter half likes Eagles...and Only Possum draw more Eagles than a Skunk...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast