WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Redhawk don't shoot no more?

Boolit Grand Master

No, it isn't a weak point. I have no doubts it is possible to break, but it's almost unheard of. If DocSavage really has broken multiple hooks he has broken a few mirrors, and crossed paths with a lot of black cats. The problem with a link as you suggest is that there is no good way to capture said pin without it being a major issue to install. There is no new design links. Ruger has been using the same hammer links since 1979, since there is nothing wrong with them. Hopefully Outpost can give some more experienced and accredited thoughts on the matter.

There isn't really anything I can think of reliability wise that effects the Redhawk that doesn't also effect any other revolver. The phrase "revolvers handle neglect well, but not abuse. Semi-auto's handle abuse well, but not neglect" is as true as they come. The failure you had is very rare, and is certainly a case of pushing neglect too far. Parts breakages simply aren't a problem in Redhawks. About the only thing I can think of that sometimes effects Redhawks is their firing pin protrusion is a little short, some can have issues using certain primers. Surely you would have noticed that issue in the last 30 years if yours had that issue. It's not really an issue with firing pin protrusion either, it's more an issue with not making good contact with the transfer bar. It can be fixed fairly easily, but again yours does not have that problem.

Speaking of transfer bars, I forgot to mention that in my post to LeonardC if you shorten the sear to reduce creep in any Ruger, you also run the risk of not raising your transfer bar enough. The fix for that is to slightly grind down the stop on the nose of your hammer about .020" which can be done with a simple homemade jig and a belt or disc grinder. Or just don't do that, and live with a little trigger creep. I like my triggers really crisp, and I've not had this issue yet, but it can happen.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you!

Edit: Grinding, etc., is more than I plan on attempting. A bit of polishing and trying different springs as well as looking for burrs and rough spots is about my limit for now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    So, this is a weak point of a Redhawk and happens often. When you replace the hook on your Redhawks, do you use a newer design that eliminates this problem? Like instead of a hook on the end of this link maybe a link with a hole in it so the role pin can slide through and be captured there by the grips? And where do you get these "new design" links?
    I should've made myself a bit clearer I replaced the part with the correct factory part. I have a 357 6 shot I've had since the early 80s the other 2 a 44 mag and 45 Colt since the 90s. I call the part a hook because that's what it looks like nomenclature is not always my strong suit.

Boolit Master
    I just looked at my original post "replaced many" was perhaps a poor choice of words of the 3 Redhawks that I own I replaced 4 hammer pivots 2 from fatigue 2 my fault. 4 parts over 40 years not too shabby. BTW my failures were the hook on the pivot broke off.

Boolit Master
    So, how are these new Smith and Wesson 460 Magnums in their X-Frame revolvers in comparison to these Non-Functional Ruger Red Hawk guns?

That's a good question. I have not heard of anybody having any inherent problems but then most people who have one probably don't shoot them enough to test their long term endurance.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

The early X-Frame S&W guns had a cylinder stop spring that was too weak for the heavy recoil, S&W fixed that on subsequent guns. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other design flaws.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post2207005
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123