Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: What's that orange crust?

Boolit Buddy

What's that orange crust?

So I'm casting pistol bullets using COWW and a little 50/50 bar solder. Of course I flux the mix with a wooden dowel stirring well. Things are going well and it's time for a lunch break. I leave the Lee bottom pour pot at casting temperature and set the mold on top of the pot to keep it warm. When I return 30-40 minutes later, there's a thick orange crust built up on the top of the alloy. So I skim that off and continue casting. The bullets come out perfect, even a bit better than before. What is this crust and why doesn't it show up while I'm casting?

Boolit Grand Master

If it's an orangish-yellow powder, it was probably lead oxide. The most common cause is too high a pot temperature. It could be that your flux burned off and the lead was exposed to air.

Leave a pot sitting awhile and at different times, with different alloys, and you'll see a few different colors float up and make a 'skin'.
    Gray, gold, sort of a mustard color, and purple are pretty common ones for me.

I figure it's mostly oxidation of the different metals in the alloy.
    Stir it frequently, and either it stays in solution, or doesn't have a chance to form.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I don't understand
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsalt444 View Post
    ...flux the mix with a wooden dowel stirring well..
    What material, not method, do you use to flux the alloy?

Flux is the addition of a catalyst (ex: wax, sawdust, cat litter, other) to the surface of the melted alloy, stirring it in for the purpose of binding with impurities, that make those easier to remove, AND to keep the oxidizing alloy components in suspension with one another.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I don't understand

Flux is the addition of a catalyst (ex: wax, sawdust, cat litter, other) to the surface of the melted alloy, stirring it in for the purpose of binding with impurities, that make those easier to remove, AND to keep the oxidizing alloy components in suspension with one another.
    He fluxes with the wooden dowel as he is stirring with it.

Boolit Grand Master

If you don’t have any dowels, your local home center gives away paint stirrers for free.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I don't understand

It's been a while since college chemistry class, so forgive me if this isn't exactly correct. "Flux" is basically hydrocarbon of some type; some guys use sawdust, some wax, etc. Using a wooden stick of some type is no different than using sawdust, it's just sawdust in it's "solid" form. Works great, and smells better than burning wax.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown