RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 1935 to 1940 - ish OMR 4198

Boolit Buddy

1935 to 1940 - ish OMR 4198

Howdy all,

At an antique shop yesterday I spied some 30's 40's Dupont IMR powder cans in nice shape, checked them out and one can of IMR 4198 was about 1/3rd full, opened it up and no rust, no rusty smoke, no smell, and dumped some in my hand and it looked factory new, awesome!

Needless to say I bought it cheap for the can and got the powder as a bonus, anyone out there have, or can point me to era specific load data for IMR 4198? I haven't decided on what I will use it in yet so that may have some baring on data, but any and all data from that time period would be greatfully accepted.

This will definitely be the oldest powder I have used, prior to this it was 60's era IMR and early 70's Red Dot in theb16lb (or so) keg which I'm still feeding off, half full at a garage sale for $5 about 3 years ago 😁

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I'd first try and compare it to a known sample of 4198, kernel size, shape and color. Next a Lee scoop if you have them and weigh out a couple of scoops and compare to Lee's estimate of what the powder should weigh and or compare the weights of the found powder and an equal quantity of current 4198. Doing that you are a little closer to knowing that it is indeed 4198. I've had cans that were not what the can label said they were. Like ball powder in a Red Dot can.

After that, I'd use current data, 4198 then should be 4198 now. Just lot to lot variance. And I've used WWII era surplus powder(and still own and use) with no problems. I've pulled down late 30's vintage 06 loads, replaced the corrosive primers, reloaded them and proceed to whack away. Old powder is pretty stable.

4198 data for cast boolits should be pretty low pressure. Choose the strongest rifle and the lightest charge and give it a try. With for real safety glasses and maybe a pair of leather gloves.

And remember this is innerweb advise, worth every penny paid. Proceed with caution.

And if you do indeed want period correct data, list the calibers you are interested in. I'm pretty sure my 1941 book by Phil Sharpe will have data listed if it's available.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the excellent advice!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I'd first try and compare it to a known sample of 4198, kernel size, shape and color. Next a Lee scoop if you have them and weigh out a couple of scoops and compare to Lee's estimate of what the powder should weigh and or compare the weights of the found powder and an equal quantity of current 4198. Doing that you are a little closer to knowing that it is indeed 4198. I've had cans that were not what the can label said they were. Like ball powder in a Red Dot can.

After that, I'd use current data, 4198 then should be 4198 now. Just lot to lot variance. And I've used WWII era surplus powder(and still own and use) with no problems. I've pulled down late 30's vintage 06 loads, replaced the corrosive primers, reloaded them and proceed to whack away. Old powder is pretty stable.

4198 data for cast boolits should be pretty low pressure. Choose the strongest rifle and the lightest charge and give it a try. With for real safety glasses and maybe a pair of leather gloves.

And remember this is innerweb advise, worth every penny paid. Proceed with caution.

And if you do indeed want period correct data, list the calibers you are interested in. I'm pretty sure my 1941 book by Phil Sharpe will have data listed if it's available.
    Remember Phil's data tends to run hot! He did not have ways to accurately measure pressure. And he was willing to adventure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

80 year old can with some powder........what could go wrong?....How many times has the can changed owners?.....Who might have put something in the can to get attention?....Keep the can, toss the contents
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

I'm a coward. Flush it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life