Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: BRNO 98/22 strength

Boolit Buddy

BRNO 98/22 strength

Good day folks! I just picked up what appears to be a BRNO 98/22 chambered in 338-06. Any reason not to shoot it in that chambering? I do plan on getting go/no go gauges to check the headspace. My main question is will this action handle the pressures? (assuming a good shape action.) I figure it will, just wanting confirmation! Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Good day folks! I just picked up what appears to be a BRNO 98/22 chambered in 338-06. Any reason not to shoot it in that chambering? I do plan on getting go/no go gauges to check the headspace. My main question is will this action handle the pressures? (assuming a good shape action.) I figure it will, just wanting confirmation! Thanks
    Far as I know... going Bigger bore on '06 based cases should... Note...Should!! Lower chamber pressures, at a given powder charge! I would Not be concerned. As The BRNO is absolutely the pinnacle of the Mauser Gun Making Art... Not for Finish, (looks) like Early German Arms, but...for Overall Quality and Strength.. Check who made some of the most Famous, and Desirable Mausers, (a Persian for example)

Yes... the FN were probably as Desired...early On

Boolit Grand Master

If the headspace checks out okay [note; if forming the cases the case headspace should be adjusted to fit the chamber not some other specified dimension] any cast bullet load will be fine in that very nice action.

Are you intending on shooting any Extreme or A-Square factory loads? If so I would work up reloads using tested data with equivalent bullet weights first. If the rifle, and you, handles close to or maximum tested loads then the factory ammunition should be okay. That's just what I would do.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    My 98/22 that I built into a .35 Whelen works great and shows no signs of any pressure issues.

Boolit Master
    When Czechoslovakia was formed as a country out of a portion of the old Austria-Hungarian empire following WW1 this newly created country needed to arm it's defense forces. German Gew 98 Mausers were sent to the armory at Brno to be modified for use by the Czech army. These modified WW1 German rifles were designated as model 98-22, and the receivers were re-roll stamped and marked as such. In 1924 Czechoslovakia began production of their own domestic rifle; the VZ-24. The main difference between the VZ-24 action and the 98-22's is that the VZ-24 action is made from alloy steel while the 98-22 is carbon steel. A 98-22 is as strong as a WW1 German Mauser because it started life as a Gew 98.

Boolit Master

I believe 30-06 headspace gauges will work for your 338-06. Best to confirm this though.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I thought that the 98/22 was built by BRNO for a Turkish contract?
    I had one that I rebarreled to .300 Savage, then sold it to a nephew who had me rechamber it to .308 Winchester. A very good action, and it fed both of those cartridges perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In 1954 Turkey purchased a big batch of 98 Mauser's in various models and configurations, then standardized them for their own military. These included Gew 98's, K98's, VZ-24's, and highly likely some 98-22"s also. Basically buying up surplus 98 Mausers and refurbishing them for their army. The same thing happened earlier when the Czechs refurbished Gew 98's and turned them into 98-22's. Think about it: If you sporterized a 98-22 that was used by the Turkish army, that would have been the FORTH time that rifle was brought back to life! (WW1 Germany, inter-war years Czechoslovakia, 1950's Turkey, Your skilled mitts) It says volumes about the quality of a design if it's still working perfectly after over 100 years of use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    In 1954 Turkey purchased a big batch of 98 Mauser's in various models and configurations, then standardized them for their own military. These included Gew 98's, K98's, VZ-24's, and highly likely some 98-22"s also. Basically buying up surplus 98 Mausers and refurbishing them for their army. The same thing happened earlier when the Czechs refurbished Gew 98's and turned them into 98-22's. Think about it: If you sporterized a 98-22 that was used by the Turkish army, that would have been the FORTH time that rifle was brought back to life! (WW1 Germany, inter-war years Czechoslovakia, 1950's Turkey, Your skilled mitts) It says volumes about the quality of a design if it's still working perfectly after over 100 years of use.
    I believe you have been Misled.. there is the Turkish Manufactured Model 38 K.Kale, which was Turkish Manufactured ...complete with the "hood" over the front as a Forend retainer... Not to be confused with German Manufactured 98 actions which had the action shortened in order to provide the Hood, for forend retention..Two Different Things entirely...easily identified when side by side.
    Tho...Your assesment is 100% as concerning those very same German Manufactured 98 Actions.. Czech actions... I believe were always Manufactured by the Czech factories...just like The FN Belgian Actions..There was a Good Reason Hitler Invaded/took Czech and Belgin properties First, at te start of the second big war. Germany was Not able/allowed to produce Small Arms... Guess Who Could!!!

Boolit Master
    racepres: Nope. Not misled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Mauser

Boolit Master
    So... In the late 30's thru Mid '40's Germany was Making Rifles for Export to Turkey and they were Not anything like what the Germans were already manufacturing??
    Large Ring Action, with small ring Barrel shank, with a "hood" to retain the Turkish Walnut Handguard???
    Nope... I aint buyin into that .. By the time the Turks were making My particular 1945 K.Kale...If Germany was making Anything...it was "Last Ditch" Mausers... Lets talk about that Quality!!!

Boolit Master
    You're missing the point. "In the late 30's thru Mid '40's Germany was Making Rifles for Export to Turkey and they were Not anything like what the Germans were already manufacturing??" The answer to that is no; during that time frame Germany was rearming it's own troops. The typical M38 Turkish Mauser with the large ring / small thread receivers with the handguard retaining hood were made at the armory in Ankara Turkey starting in 1938. They made thousands of these. This is the rifle that you are discussing, but it is not the only type of "Turkish Mauser".

In 1954 the Turks purchased a shipment of large ring receivers with large ring threads, (mostly Gew 98', K98's, and VZ-24's) and converted them into "Turkish Mausers" by counter-boring the face of the receiver to create a "hood". In 1945 the Turks were making M38 rifles at their own armory. After WW2 the Turks were reconditioning other Mausers to use M38 hardware. http://www.arms2armor.com/Firearms/turkishATF.htm

This thread is about the 98-22 rifles that were made in Czechoslovakia from Gew 98's, and is starting to drift. If you'd like to discuss the many variations of Turkish Mauser please start a new thread on the subject, as there is lots of material to discus in that regard.

Boolit Master
    You're missing the point. "In the late 30's thru Mid '40's Germany was Making Rifles for Export to Turkey and they were Not anything like what the Germans were already manufacturing??" The answer to that is no; during that time frame Germany was rearming it's own troops. The typical M38 Turkish Mauser with the large ring / small thread receivers with the handguard retaining hood were made at the armory in Ankara Turkey starting in 1938. They made thousands of these. This is the rifle that you are discussing, but it is not the only type of "Turkish Mauser".

In 1954 the Turks purchased a shipment of large ring receivers with large ring threads, (mostly Gew 98', K98's, and VZ-24's) and converted them into "Turkish Mausers" by counter-boring the face of the receiver to create a "hood". In 1945 the Turks were making M38 rifles at their own armory. After WW2 the Turks were reconditioning other Mausers to use M38 hardware. http://www.arms2armor.com/Firearms/turkishATF.htm

This thread is about the 98-22 rifles that were made in Czechoslovakia from Gew 98's, and is starting to drift. If you'd like to discuss the many variations of Turkish Mauser please start a new thread on the subject, as there is lots of material to discus in that regard.
    Nope.. tho I would like to Learn how the Czech's needed/obtained German made Mausers... after WWI
    I do Know about the Steyr Solotherns.. and what Germany had to do to "export" those...
    I am fairly Certain that the 98/22 was in fact Czech manufactured..

Boolit Master
    My 98/22 had a few Czech proof markings.
    Oh.
    And both are stamped Brno but also have the rear sight in Arabic for yardage.
    So I would say it was made in Czechoslovakia for the Turks.

Boolit Master
    LAGS: Once the Czechs began manufacturing the VZ-24 they no longer needed the 98-22. They sold 98-22's to both Turkey and Persia, (modern day Iran).

racepres: German Gew 98 rifles were sent to many of the newly formed countries after WW1 following the collapse of Austria-Hungarian empire as specified in the treaty of versilles. Czechoslovakia received enough of these to begin arming its army. At first the Czechs modified these rifles to make them into 98-22's. From 1922 to 1923 they had amassed enough machinery at the armory at Brno to begin building their own 98-22's. In 1924 they switched to a completely different version of the 98 Mauser, called the VZ-24, and began building this rifle for domestic defense and for export.

Boolit Master
    LAGS: Once the Czechs began manufacturing the VZ-24 they no longer needed the 98-22. They sold 98-22's to both Turkey and Persia, (modern day Iran).

racepres: German Gew 98 rifles were sent to many of the newly formed countries after WW1 following the collapse of Austria-Hungarian empire as specified in the treaty of versilles. Czechoslovakia received enough of these to begin arming its army. At first the Czechs modified these rifles to make them into 98-22's. From 1922 to 1923 they had amassed enough machinery at the armory at Brno to begin building their own 98-22's. In 1924 they switched to a completely different version of the 98 Mauser, called the VZ-24, and began building this rifle for domestic defense and for export.
    That I buy... so... all 98/22's are Not German MFg... in fact all Czech Mausers are Proofed, and the Proof is dated... not gonna find many previous to 1922... bets???

BTW Never seen a VZ24 under '23!!!

Boolit Master
    The early 98-22's were German Gew 98's that had been re-roll stamped. Starting in 1922 the Czechs were able to machine their own rifles, but these were made with carbon steel like the Gew 98. In 1924 a new carbine called the VZ-24 was introduced which was made from alloy steel. Because the treaty of Versailles limited Germany from access to strategic materials like molybdenum, vanadium, tungsten and chromium, the K98 rifles of WW2 (and the inter-war years) were all made from carbon steel, just like the Gew 98. As far as the strength of the 98-22 goes, it is fully the equal of WW1 and WW2 German Mauser's.

Remember that site I linked to above regarding the 1954 ATF Turkish Mausers? Notice the crest on the receiver with that triangle marking? All of those rifles started out as something else, but had their crests and proof marks re- roll stamped. We know that some Mauser's had their crests ground off because of political turmoil, like the crest of king Carol II of Romania, or the royal "Mum" on Japanese Arisakia's. But, if you have access to an armory, you can mechanically roll press the crest back to bare metal and then press on new crests, serial numbers, and proof marks. The Vast, vast number of Mausers ever made still have their factory stamps & numbers, but a very few (like the early 98-22's) do not.