Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Has anyone tried to 3d print a Nylon Burnside Case?

Dixie has 2 pages of products in the brass case section. I still see nothing that is related to the burnside? If you have the link to the item I'll check it out. maybe I'm blind.

The concept of a printed case doesn't seem to differ that much in the discussion of a Burnside (black powder propellant) from the Federal Firestick.
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ral-firestick/

I do not know what material Federal uses, or if it is 3D printable, but it seems that it is analogous to what is being asked about in thread here.

Its somewhat similar, but its still really different. The burnside was developed to try and solve the problem of the early breech loaders difficulty in sealing the gap between the breech block and the barrel. The burnside case has a round bulged mouth which is sandwiched between the breech block and the barrel, to create that seal. This would also be the weak point and the potential point of failure. I think its worth working on developing a 3d printed case. I'm researching 3d printers, and the strength of various filaments. I'm looking also looking into 3d printing in brass which is possible. I don't own a 3d printer, so I'm looking into buying or building one with the proper specs with a heated bed, and nozzle temps that could potentially accomplish this. When you 3d print, the plastic is not as homogenous as a molded product. The polymer chains do not span across the individual layers, so its inherently weaker. This is why I was asking if anyone has tried this. It might be a waste of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12