Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Pet loads for 30-06, RCBS 30-150 / 30-180?

Boolit Mold

Pet loads for 30-06, RCBS 30-150 / 30-180?

Afternoon all,

I'm looking to get into casting for rifles, and will be using the venerable '06 as my guinea pig. Recently came into a couple RCBS molds, so I think we're well on the way.

Would anybody have some pet load data they'd like to share?

I'll likely be tinkering with some of the "classic" powders, as that's what I have in-stock, namely Unique, Red Dot/Blue Dot, etc.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks,
    Tom

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS Cast Bullet Manual number 1 lists both those bullets and Unique & Red Dot powders as well as several others. 30-180 came in SP that they list as 175 grain and FN that they list as 187 grain.

If someone smarter than me doesn't post a copy, drop me a PM and I'll copy and snail mail you the pages.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual is an excellent source for information. I bought a copy just for the cast loads for 7mmTCU. However, this book was written back in the day when loads were tested with a copper crusher instead of a transducer. The ballisticians could read the peak pressure, but had no idea what the time/pressure curve was. They could keep the pressures within safe margins, but weren't able to select the powder & load combinations that would optimize performance through better powder selections. It doesn't appear that there's a pdf download on the web for this book, but it is still available hardcover through Amazon.

For someone that is starting out handloading with cast bullets I would recommend that they get a copy of the 4th edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. This has much more information, and features loads with other than Lyman bullets. Also, the Lyman manual has load data for a 160 grain 30 caliber bore riding bullet. I use that data to load the RCBS 30-165-Sil bullet. Because I load mid-level loads, and never hot load, the 5 grains difference in bullet weight isn't so crucial. I also use the data for the Lyman 44 caliber 245 grain plain base SWC to load my rcbs 44-245-SWC, as they're quite similar. (keep loads moderate and use good judgment) If you're on a budget, the 3rd edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is widely available on the internet as a pdf. (The 4th edition has much more information & loads than the 3rd does.)

Great advice and sources given above.
    Here's another source that I refer to often for light loads and subsonic;
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold
    Sounds good on the above-referenced sources, I think a fellow caster had a copy of the 4th generation Lyman book I can borrow to look through.

Thanks very much!
    Tom

Here's another good source for '06' data.
    https://www.bearblain.com/Service%20...0Loadings.html
    Powders listed might not be on your bench, but might be something to shop for in the future.
    Have fun. "the 30-06 is never a mistake"
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold
    Sounds good! I'll definitely bookmark that page here, would definitely like to load up some "service" rounds for the '06 and .308 also, great calibers for sure.

Appreciate the help guys!