Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alloy for casting 45ACP bullets

Boolit Master
    The things that occur to me are that you could have too little taper-crimp, and the still partially-flared case mouth is not going all the way to end of the chamber. The OTHER possibility is TOO MUCH taper crimp, and the case is bulged behind the case mouth, having essentially the same effect. Since your rounds tend to fall into the chamber when you rack the slide to clear a jam, I'm guessing the crimp is at or near where it needs to be.
    I agree with GUNWONK, that it sounds like your rounds may be a shade too long.
    When seating the 200 gr. LSWCs, there is a "rule of thumb(nail)", often used to get proper seating depth. The "rule" is to seat the bullet so that the driving band protrudes ~1/32", or about the thickness of a thumbnail, above the case mouth. If seating in this way does not give good function, a minor adjustment, one way or the other, certainly will.
    I am not aware of any similar rule for LRN bullets, except that I'VE never obtained reliable functioning at the maximum overall length (1.275"). For no reason in particular, I seem to remember that I got better function when I shortened my rounds by ~20/1000ths of an inch.
    Lastly, I'D recommend the use of a separate taper crimp die, for removing the bell in the case mouth in a separate step. When I switched to one of these for reloading .38/.357 and .45 ACP, my malfunctions vanished, and my group sizes dropped by 1/3rd. Redding makes one, and I think Forster does. BOTH excellent additions to reloading equipment.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    The things that occur to me are that you could have too little taper-crimp, and the still partially-flared case mouth is not going all the way to end of the chamber. The OTHER possibility is TOO MUCH taper crimp, and the case is bulged behind the case mouth, having essentially the same effect. Since your rounds tend to fall into the chamber when you rack the slide to clear a jam, I'm guessing the crimp is at or near where it needs to be.
    I agree with GUNWONK, that it sounds like your rounds may be a shade too long.
    When seating the 200 gr. LSWCs, there is a "rule of thumb(nail)", often used to get proper seating depth. The "rule" is to seat the bullet so that the driving band protrudes ~1/32", or about the thickness of a thumbnail, above the case mouth. If seating in this way does not give good function, a minor adjustment, one way or the other, certainly will.
    I am not aware of any similar rule for LRN bullets, except that I'VE never obtained reliable functioning at the maximum overall length (1.275"). For no reason in particular, I seem to remember that I got better function when I shortened my rounds by ~20/1000ths of an inch.
    Lastly, I'D recommend the use of a separate taper crimp die, for removing the bell in the case mouth in a separate step. When I switched to one of these for reloading .38/.357 and .45 ACP, my malfunctions vanished, and my group sizes dropped by 1/3rd. Redding makes one, and I think Forster does. BOTH excellent additions to reloading equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunwonk View Post
    When that happened to me, the problem was that my loaded .45 cartridge was too LONG, so when the bullet nose bumped up against the top of the chamber, the case rim wasn't quite clear of the magazine lips, and the cartridge couldn't tip up to get the rest of the way into the chamber.

Thanks for these ideas. The OAL txbirdman suggested is actually a bit longer than I am currently running for this 230 gr TC boolit, so I have one recommendation to go longer and a couple examples of needing to go shorter, the bottom line being that length is something to experiment with. I have a Lee factory crimp die that I'm using as a separate taper crimping die.

I have several good suggestions to try: a stronger hold; adjusting crimp; and adjusting OAL. If none of those work I'll start slowly upping the charge, and as a last resort I might polish the feed ramp. But I'll blame the gun last. Hopefully I haven't hijacked this thread too much.

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    I started out with the Lee 452-228-1R mould and wheelweights pert near fifty years ago. It worked well and accuracy was acceptable. Dan Cash introduced me to the truncated cone design bullets back in the mid 80s and that has been my choice ever since. Accuracy is excellent, as good as any cast bullet. It feeds and functions flawlessly in everything I own.

Attachment 310331
    I shoot only SWC but that's a nice looking Bullet good job I may try that what mold is that?

The Lyman #2 alloy was created for cartridges like the 38 SPL and the 45 ACP. Under 900 fps it works just fine. For paper and plinking that is all you need.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123