Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Has anyone built a single shot rifle with a similar action to the Phoenix ?

Has anyone built a single shot rifle with a similar action to the Phoenix ?

I already have plenty of project guns waiting my attention but…. I have been thinking of maybe making my own version of a Whitney Phoenix type action.
    Right now I am thinking of making it in 32 H&R mag caliber as a longer cartridge would make for more modifications. I already have a hammer / trigger / mainspring from another gun that could work and the side swinging breech block seems easy enough to make. The one part that I would have to give some thought to would be a latch or lock for the breech block that would be easy to work with the same hand you would use to unlock the breech, flip the block open and cock the hammer.
    For the extractor I am thinking a design like the early Ballard rifles used where you would use your index finger on your hand holding the forend to manually extract the fired case with a spring loaded sliding extractor with the spring to retract it.

I may never get around to it but now during the winter it sounds like it would be fun and not take a lot to get something that would work. I have literally dozens of rifle barrels laying around I could use and the caliber could be something else without much work I just chose the 32 H&R because it’s relatively short, powerful enough for pests, varmints and plinking and I already have dies and brass but no rifle in that caliber.

So has anyone else tried to build something like a Phoenix action or have ideas on what to include in the features ? Thanks !

Jedman

Boolit Master

I have been thinking of building one myself. I have an original so I know how they work. The breach is held closed by a spring loaded detent ball. The extractor works when the breach block is opened all the way, there is a camming action that works the extractor. One thing to think about is the ears on each side of the frame needs to have an opening big enough to let you finger or thumb fit through to load the cartridge. My original has an opening big enough for a 12 gauge but it's chambered in 40-50 Sharps strait.

Thanks John, I understand what you mean as I was originally thinking that if I go with the 32 H&R mag the loading trough could be a bit smaller but what you said makes sense. I know a spring detent is a easy way to keep the block closed and may use that same idea but if I use the hammer to lock the breech block when fired I will have to make a hammer and that makes using parts I have now not usable. I was thinking of a way to lock the breech block and have a rebounding hammer . I know the breech thrust should be strait back when fired and there shouldn’t be any force that will try to open the block but don’t want to rely only on a small detent ball ? The extractor on the final improvement on the Phoenix is to complex for me to make so just the simplest design will work for me.
    Another change I believe I would make is to have no tangs on the action. I would like to just have the front of the butt stock fit in a recess with a good sized through bolt holding it on. If I do use the hammer ,trigger, mainspring I have it uses a coil spring with a strut and is quite compact.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 02-10-2023 at 09:58 AM.