MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miracle Ear, or Other Hearing Aids?

Boolit Buddy

Miracle Ear, or Other Hearing Aids?

Hello, folks,

My 81-year-old mother has decided she needs hearing aids. She's visited the local Miracle Ear office and was left with mixed feelings about them. Does anyone have experience with the Miracle Ear brand, or would you recommend something else that you've had good success with?

Her hearing is not terrible now but is fading, and she hates missing whatever the grand-kids and great-grand-kids are chatting about. I figured someone here may have some good advice or be able to point us in the right direction.

Thank you very much!
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Master
    I don't know too much about what type of hearing aid that Miracle Ear provides but my neighbor was involved in the early testing of the digital aids that can be controlled by a smart phone and now my hunting partner has the same. Those new digital aids are absolutely amazing technology. Both of my friends are ecstatic with them. Some of the new aids can even limit background noise (ie. noisy restaurant) so that the person can participate in the conversation.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine work very well
    go to a place other than Miracle Ear
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the prompt replies. My mother doesn't own a smart phone, so that option is out for her, but from what research I've done so far they do seem pretty incredible and I appreciate the suggestion.

I appreciate y'all's feedback! Open to other input, if anyone has any. Thanks again!

I have had hearing aids for about 5 - 6 years now. Miracle Ear are probably good but are expensive due to advertising and name recognition. If your mother has a Medicare Advantage Plan or other insurance that covers some or all of the cost of hearing aids they will offer other options.
    If you are paying out of pocket for them I have heard that Costco offers aids at lower cost than any of the hearing companies charge and are made by a major brand and offer all the same services.
    I am on my third set and each step up has been a little better than the last but once you loose a significant range of your hearing you will never hear the same again.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    Hello, folks,

My 81-year-old mother has decided she needs hearing aids. She's visited the local Miracle Ear office and was left with mixed feelings about them. Does anyone have experience with the Miracle Ear brand, or would you recommend something else that you've had good success with?

Her hearing is not terrible now but is fading, and she hates missing whatever the grand-kids and great-grand-kids are chatting about. I figured someone here may have some good advice or be able to point us in the right direction.

Thank you very much!
    My wife and I have been wearing hearing aids for well over 12 years. We first went to a audiologist and got our first set based solely on recommendations of friends. And they were great.....cleaning ever 3 months; free batteries for life; and annual retest as well as no cost visits if we needed our devices adjusted. The cost was high about 6000.00 per pair.....just two weeks ago I decided to go to a COSTCO, based on recommendations, and they did an outstanding test and because my left ear has permanent bone damage I only needed a new device for my right ear. They did test both of my ears and were wonderful to deal with. The long and the short is I bought a Philips hearing aid for my right ear....$799.00 and not $3000+ from our old agency. They custom tuned it to the test they gave me two weeks ago....came with three year warranty, rechargeable, clearing every 3 months, and an annual retest....I've been wearing my new device for 3 days and I am in love with them....I can turn them up, down, turn off most of the surrounding sounds so I can hear the party that I am with better plus I can answer my phone through them. I highly recommend COSTCO if ya have one near to you!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

First pair came from my audiologist and were very expensive. 2nd pair are from Costco for 1/4 the money. Costco treats you well and have services available like free cleaning. I will also add that I believe you do not have to have a smart phone to use. That just offers more customization. But for me with the smart phone, I BlueTooth directly to my phone. Good luck GW

Boolit Master
    My first pair of aids were Miracle Ear, They lasted a long time. With all the new things happening in aids I'd shop around.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I don't know too much about what type of hearing aid that Miracle Ear provides but my neighbor was involved in the early testing of the digital aids that can be controlled by a smart phone and now my hunting partner has the same. Those new digital aids are absolutely amazing technology. Both of my friends are ecstatic with them. Some of the new aids can even limit background noise (ie. noisy restaurant) so that the person can participate in the conversation.
    This x 100. Digital aids with phone app controls. Hear the tweedy birds again.

Boolit Master
    Mine are resound brand but cost me 5500.00 dollars. I would go to Costco next time my good friend did an is very happy with his.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, everyone! Costco sounds promising, but unfortunately the closest one is in a neighboring state a couple of hours away. We may have to use Miracle Ear, unless there are other suggestions.

I really appreciate the help!

Boolit Master
    A friend & I was bowhunting one time & were easing along a game trail when he said, can you hear that elk bugling? I said no, and he said I think there are two of them, and then he said, even louder, can't you hear that! And I said no! He pulled a pair of Walkers Game Ear muffs out of his pack & I put them on & I could hear those elk & I could also hear squirrels & birds, I was stunned!
    I had been an aircraft mechanic in the military back in the 60's but the VA would never give me hearing aids, I fought with them for years. When Donald Trump got voted in I told my wife I was going to Salt Lake to the VA & try one more time. When I sat down the lady told me I was going to get hearing aids!!! I hadn't even taken the test yet! I got some really good hearing aids & it's changed my life. Only took 50 years!
    We also got some for my wife from Costco & they have been great to deal with, she has loved them & we don't have to yell back & forth like we're in a fight!

Dick

Boolit Master
    I have used hearing aids for over 20 years. The best I have found is carried by Costco, I get free aids from the VA and still paid for Costco.

Boolit Master
    I bought mine from an independent supplier. I have the Resound ONE with microphone in ear and behind the ear (picks up directional sounds better) with the top of the line software. Can be adjusted from a smart phone. They set me back $6500.00 and my wife said it's the best money she ever spent! This level is not nessary to hear better! There are the factory settings that can be controlled from the heating aids themselves. Check around! I have a friend who has Costco hearing aids and is happy with them. They ant what God gave me, but they are pretty darn close!

Spent quite a bit of time talking to a former factory tech with a long background in hearing aid manufacturing. He said that within a given brand, all hearing aids are the same. And across the brands, they are all good. The only differences are what they program into the aid and that is what drives the price. Think of a Chevy. Biscayne, Belaire or Impala. Only difference was the trim and accessories. Otherwise, all the same. Same with hearing aids. He said his mom needed aids and called him. He told her he did not care what brand she got.

I'm not talking over the counter aids. I'm talking prescription aids. But OTC might work for many folks.

His advice was buy the best aid you can afford without taking food off the table. His other advice was buy the brand that your audiologist is more familiar with. Doing so will help assure they will program it accurately for your personal needs.

I would, from personal experience, stay away from Beltone. They tend to be price gougers. And they don't make their hearing aids. I think Resound makes their aids.

Last point, I've heard folks who bought aids at COSTCO were very happy with what they got. If you are on a budget, go shop and try out as many as you can. Also, check your state for their regs. Here in NY, you have 45 days to use your new aids and if you are not happy, you can return them for a full refund. Beltone makes you pay a 10% restocking fee. Another reason why I don't like them. Read the fine print before you sign the contract. My insurance allows me to have them 60 days and get a full refund.

Do your homework. It's worth the effort.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Buddy

Thank you, everyone, I sincerely appreciate your help with this!

Boolit Master

A few years ago I got a non digital Miracle ear hearing aid I really am not happy with it for several reasons . To be totally honest I get as good a sound from cheap hearing amplifiers for shooting that cut the noise out at the shot $14 / ear ! They do not stay in the ear as well and the electronics fit behind the ear .

Another thing that is terrible in hearing aids is the air batteries I found the same size in Alkaline watch batteries can be got cheaper and last MUCH longer.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience with an audiologist convinced me they are overpaid for their products by a factor of 2 or 3x. I purchased a set at Costco (my third) last year and they are far the best for sound quality and price.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chena View Post
    My experience with an audiologist convinced me they are overpaid for their products by a factor of 2 or 3x. I purchased a set at Costco (my third) last year and they are far the best for sound quality and price.
    I'll add here, that with how fast microelectronics have advanced if your even thinking about comparing hearing aids from 10 years ago to what you can buy today it's like comparing the latest email phone to the bag phones of the 90s! One last word about Belltone and Miracle Ear, they are franchises and only franchise members can access the software to adjust their programming.

Boolit Master
    Retired audiologist here- I bought my own hearing aids from Costco. Top of the line product, well- trained dispensers. I'm very happy with them- and their price is half of regular dealers.
    Loren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast