RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push thru sizing

Boolit Master

Push thru sizing

With my custom die using Lyman 450 dies!

https://youtu.be/aLfvH420tag

https://youtu.be/Z5SUpz6vUj8
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-06-2023 at 08:59 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Looks like your "Adding a lock screw to bullet mold" video is what you attached.

Boolit Buddy

I watched the mold work and the sizer was next one in queue.

Boolit Master

That looks like good work. I used one of my #45's to make a push through sizer. I removed the bottom adjuster and push rod and turned some long top punches to push the bullets through.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

There was a discussion here maybe 10 years ago about that that mold issue.
    We did a couple of those after the discussion here.. Good to see the video.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Looks like your "Adding a lock screw to bullet mold" video is what you attached.
    OOPS... Strange things been happenin like that. Sorry man.

Boolit Master

Yeah it works. Orygun Mark and I made a couple sets about 10 years ago and "the professor" made and sold about a dozen sets.
    Easier to take a Lee shell holder and soften, then drill and tap for the plungers. That way the plungers are interchngeable. Make from 5/16" bolts turned down to fit sizer. Normally about 5 sizes do the whole spectrum.

The old aluminum RCBS die bodies make good bodies. Mark came up with a 7/8 x 14 thin nut from some plumbing stuff that fit the bottom and held the die in place.

Works really good and keeps long slim .22s and .25s straight. Great for "downsizing" as well. Drawback is the extra lubing step./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have 2 sets of "Perfessor" sizer setups that use the lyman / RCBS Lubrisizer dies with most of the pushrod diameters for each.

Really neat setup that I never really utilized much.

It uses the standard reloading press, but H&I dies.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 02-06-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Dang, cwlongshot. That looks like just the thing I need, considering I've got a few dozen sizer dies for my Lyman, and have switched over to PCing my boolits. I was starting to dread buying a whole bunch of Lee sizers. Now I might just see about 3D Printing an adapter to use. Not sure if it'll hold up or not, but if so it beats the heck out of paying Lee $30/sizer...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

Stay tuned man!!

I just began working with a gentleman making these.

Ill try to update here. But if ya sub my Utube or friend me her so ya see my posts you can better follow and see what happens.

It works well and is a good way ta save $$.

CW

Boolit Master
    Oh, don't get me wrong, if that's a product you'll eventually start selling I'm all about it. But in the meantime, I have a printer for a reason. I pulled out my dies lies night and started "de-lubing" them. Man, was that a PITA. But absolutely, I'd be interested in this. And definitely friending.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    I thought I’d share this here. I printed a first prototype for a 3D printed variant of this. The chamber for seating the die was just about 0.125mm/0.004” small. It would press in, but wouldn’t come out without the use of a wooden dowel. Once I finish tweaking this I’ll work on a shell holder adapter for the original plungers. It is 100mm / 3.9” long, and threads in from the bottom of my Lee Turret Press Plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I thought I’d share this here. I printed a first prototype for a 3D printed variant of this. The chamber for seating the die was just about 0.125mm/0.004” small. It would press in, but wouldn’t come out without the use of a wooden dowel. Once I finish tweaking this I’ll work on a shell holder adapter for the original plungers. It is 100mm / 3.9” long, and threads in from the bottom of my Lee Turret Press Plate.
    Any plans to share the .stl file for that holder? Printing in ABS might be strong enough. I'd sure admire to try printing a holder.
    Ken H>

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Any plans to share the .stl file for that holder? Printing in ABS might be strong enough. I'd sure admire to try printing a holder.
    Ken H>
    Yes, I always share my designs. And typically post on Thingiverse. But sometimes I load it on GitHub instead. I need to do at least one more print, and test it before it’s ready to upload. And I’d still need to design the shell holder adapter. The design will require 2-3 sizes of bodies though depending on the sizer diameter. Narrower boolits would need a narrower body to properly advance…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Awesome guys!!!

Boolit Mold
    Do you think PLA Plus would be suitable for this? Havent dabbled in harder plastics with printing yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
    Do you think PLA Plus would be suitable for this? Havent dabbled in harder plastics with printing yet.
    I printed this in standard PLA for initial testing. I haven't messed with PLA+ a lot, but I think either would be reasonable in sizing down .001-002". Nylon might be ideal from a strength perspective. But I'll report back when the PLA testing is done. The prototype I printed last night was REALLY close to being able to test. The chamber is just a little too tight (I wanted it tight so that the O-Ring would lock the die in place, reducing the need for a locking nut).

EDIT: PLA I'm using is SUNLU from Amazon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Yes, I always share my designs. And typically post on Thingiverse. But sometimes I load it on GitHub instead. I need to do at least one more print, and test it before it’s ready to upload. And I’d still need to design the shell holder adapter.
    Thank you for sharing - be sure to post a link when ready.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 3' stick of 7/8x14 redirod and cut a piece about 2" long then drilled it almost through to fit a lyman sizer die. I put some boolit lube on the outside of the die and push into the drilled redirod. That holds it in place while sizing and allows it to be removed easily. I use 5/16" or 3/8" bolts as push rods by machining the bolt head to fit in place of the shell holder.

Since I got my star, I rarely use that as I get push through and grease lube all in one pull. I also make my star dies by turning cold roll to fit the press, drilling and reaming a hole for the bullet and lube holes then machining a groove for a C clip to hold the die in the press. It's a bit of work but being retired, enjoying metal work and Star dies being expensive, I make a lot of different tools for reloading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I bought a 3' stick of 7/8x14 redirod and cut a piece about 2" long then drilled it almost through to fit a lyman sizer die.
    I learned something new today - first time I've heard all-thread called "redirod", or "re-di-rod". Now I'll know what it is whens somebody says "redirod" without having to look it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast