Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: NEF's .45 Colt Rifle

NEF's .45 Colt Rifle

Anyone taken white tails using the NEF .45 Colt rifle?
    Might be nice in those states with the misguided restrictions on case lengths and diameters.

Boolit Buddy

Works great with everything I tried cast & XTP. Minimal recoil for a light very handy rifle. I am in thick cover in a tag elder swamp on edge of cedar swamp, have taken shots from 25 ft to 45 yds at the location i usually go. The 20" tapered barrel is much lighter than the 22" barrels. There are no rifle restrictions except rimfire where i live. The rifle is very accurate at the distances i can shoot. If I was shooting beyond 100 yds I have other rifles I'd grab first.

Boolit Buddy
    I killed bucks back in 2008 and 2009 with mine. 225gr Barnes XPB and 335gr Cast performance WFN did a number on them. The 45 Colt is an outstanding deer cartridge as long as one maintains their range.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

I have not been hunting for several years but if I was to do so the .45 colt would be one of the top options.

Certainly performed well at the range.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    I've never owned or shot the 45 colt or a handi rifle. I do have a Henry single shot in .357 mag and have taken a few deer with that, and had outstanding results. So going bigger can't lead to less success.
    4x4 mulie buck, 120 yards, 158grn cast swc/GC at probably 1600fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4 357 mag.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	311149

Boolit Master

I've killed numerous deer, hogs, and antelope with a 45 colt winchester trapper, along with a Gemsbok and an Impala, and a warthog while in africa. It performs superbly on game. All were killed with either 250 grain swc's or 320 grain wfngc's. It knocks the crap out of stuff, without beating you up with recoil.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Grand Master

Hey wolfdog
    About how much did that Muley weigh ?
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    The last deer I harvested in Pa was shot with my Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt. It was a heavy cowboy load with a 250 gr hard cast bullet at about 50 yds..Shot through both lungs, it ran about 40 yards and dropped..
    Last edited by pa.frank; 03-03-2023 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Hey wolfdog
    About how much did that Muley weigh ?
    145, 150 on the hoof.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 MD 3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	311236

Taken them with an NEF Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W, LEE 440 grainers mould style 90991, subsonic (985 fps) suppressed at 80 yards, 10.0 grains of Unique and Winchester LRP. I'm thinking that's roughly in your 45 Colt class. Hunting suppressed is a hoot, FWIW. You hear the bullet impact and go through and smack into the ground behind it. You also hear the deer sucking wind, which is kinda eery.

Boolit Master
    A 45 colt would be nice & I look at them all the time on GunBroker, But I have 2 44 mag rifles & an 1885 Browning 454 casull which shoots the same dia. bullet. Would feel guilty for a brief moment if I stepped out & got a 45 LC rifle (chuckle). Actually have a wife that supports it, she has seen the values increasing over the years & we have parted with a few & did ok.