Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Looking for a .314 rifle mold

Boolit Mold

Looking for a .314 rifle mold

Hello all. I am looking for a mold and hope some one here can help.
    I currently use these chappies that come in at .314 and 192 gr lubed and checked. I have tried all manner out of my no5 but these pointy flat based gas checked chaps are brilliant.
    So, my problem is finding a mold. I have looked at a few manufacturers out there but can not find some thing similar or find a maker that has something in stock. I really would welcome any thoughts or suggestions where to go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	310146

When I saw your photograph, it reminded me of this NOE design:

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at .png 
Views:	11 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	310147

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...314-203-sp-n1/

Unfortunately this design is sold out at the moment. But you might watch. I had been wanting his 314299 Lyman copy and it had been out of stock. But by diligent watching I was able to catch one in stock last summer.

He does have some of these spire point molds in .314 in stock, but they are only 155 grains.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at  1.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	310148

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...314-155-sp-n2/

Here are all of his .314 designs:

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...egory/314-316/

Good Luck - hopefully someone else knows of a similar design that are in stock.

Boolit Mold
    Hello hporter, i did look at his site and like that one but it appears all of his in that size are out of stock and always seem to be so i stopped bothering to look. I could be waiting and looking for ages. I was hoping there are other manufacturers out there as well that could possibly have something. Cheers for the reply.

I looked on a couple other mold makers sites, but did not see a spire point.

Tom at Accurate Molds can make just about anything you desire and he has pretty fast turn around. But he can't do round point or spire point, requiring a .18" flat nose.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor

It's too bad you need a .314 diameter, because NOE does have the Lyman 311365 spire point in stock. I have this mold and it shoots well in my rifles.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at .png 
Views:	342 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	310172

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...311-199-sp-k5/

Boolit Mold
    I can get the Lyman mold but it casts too small and accuracy is off.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try Arsenal moulds, there is a 170gr that might work. Also check out Accurate moulds. Tom makes a great mould

Boolit Grand Master

Check the CBE website:

https://www.castbulletengineering.co...-cal-and-32-20

They have a couple of similar bullet moulds in similar weights plus several other options in 0.314" to 0.316".

I use the NOE 316299 sized to 0.315" for my Lee Enfields and my No. 5 and No. 4 MK 1 both like at least 0.315" boolits. Accuracy is good. I also use the Mihec 316410 130 gr. which shoots very well but does not feed well in my guns (too short) so I single feed.

Another option is paper patching. If the Lyman mould casts undersize you may be able to paper patch from as cast size to groove diameter or possibly size the boolits down then patch back up to groove diameter depending on paper thickness. 0.015" tracing paper would be right for a 0.309" boolit. I paper patched for my .308 using a bore diameter boolit 0.0.301" patched to groove but then I tried that same boolit in the .303's with thicker paper but accuracy was poor. I tried knurling up to bore diameter then paper patching and that worked. Generally I am too lazy to paper patch but it is a bit of a trade off if you are gas checking because that is extra work too. If paper patching you don't need the gas check.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Have you tried powder coating the Lyman 311329? Mine drop about 311 and the pc should get them up to about 314.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in France View Post
    Hello hporter, i did look at his site and like that one but it appears all of his in that size are out of stock and always seem to be so i stopped bothering to look. I could be waiting and looking for ages. I was hoping there are other manufacturers out there as well that could possibly have something. Cheers for the reply.
    Noe does have(or did have) a method to move the production of out of stock molds up the schedule. On that mold, I suspect it would be pretty popular and fairly easy to bump it up the schedule. You may want to try that. I got lucky and bought the NOE 314-203 SP-N1 when it was in stock.
    I needed it to feed in a Lee Speed rifle, which it does wonderfully as well as a couple of SMLE's. Might want to consider the 155 grain version. I have very similar for my Garand's and a couple of 03-A3's.
    lighter boolit=less recoil=more fun and less lead=more rounds you can load.

How difficult is it to get a mold shipped from the US? From MP Molds, being in the EU I would think that would be reasonably easy. Don't know about US to Europe.

A number of years ago I was involved in shipping large dollar value measuring tool shipments to both China and South America and it was incredibly expensive and time consuming. I worked with export companies that dealing with the bureaucracy was every day stuff for them and it was still expensive and nerve racking. On one shipment to a plant in Brazil, the company I worked for was number 2 in line to ship these tools. First company didn't handle their paperwork right and their $80,000 shipment was summarily consigned to the landfill. Boy, do I enjoy retirement!

Can't imagine an individual having to deal with moving GUN STUFF!!!! across the border.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks 15meter, i will send NOE an email. Getting stuff here is no issue it is just the shipping+import fees+duty+postal handling fees that put one off. I suspect i will have to suck it up though in the end as there are not so many manufacturers here in the eu and the last one i contacted MP, does not reply so i will see how it goes.
    Hello Longbow, i did think of paper patching but i do not have the money to throw at a mold to try it out. Too hit and miss.
    As to Arsenal molds i was put off them by reports of his failing to respond to customers and Accurate are all flat point so without first trying their bullets i do not have the money to waste on a mold that may not be any good.
    It is the pointy flat i am after...so i will keep looking, and e-mailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in France View Post
    Thanks 15meter, i will send NOE an email. Getting stuff here is no issue it is just the shipping+import fees+duty+postal handling fees that put one off. I suspect i will have to suck it up though in the end as there are not so many manufacturers here in the eu and the last one i contacted MP, does not reply so i will see how it goes.
    Hello Longbow, i did think of paper patching but i do not have the money to throw at a mold to try it out. Too hit and miss.
    As to Arsenal molds i was put off them by reports of his failing to respond to customers and Accurate are all flat point so without first trying their bullets i do not have the money to waste on a mold that may not be any good.
    It is the pointy flat i am after...so i will keep looking, and e-mailing.
    I think NOE was running his own forum, through there, I thought there was a mechanism to ask for a specific mold and if enough people responded that they also were interested, the mold was moved up the schedule.

A direct email may help also.

Boolit Grand Master

Carl:

Did you look at the link to CBE Bullet Moulds I posted above? They have what you are looking for... maybe not exact weight but same design:

https://www.castbulletengineering.co...90-315-205gctl

That one is close and they have others similar in the other link.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Carl:

Did you look at the link to CBE Bullet Moulds I posted above? They have what you are looking for... maybe not exact weight but same design:

https://www.castbulletengineering.co...90-315-205gctl

That one is close and they have others similar in the other link.

Longbow
    I have thank you. I penned them an e-mail. Will see what happens. Cheers.

Boolit Master

Lyman claims to have the 2-cavity iron 314299 in stock: https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...-bullet-moulds

At least by the blueprints given for the NOE clone, that should have a .314" shank and a .303" nose.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Carl in France-

I just posted this information on another post, basically asking a similar question:

[Here's a couple numbers for Al (Swede) Nelson; I don't think he would be mad by sharing his phone numbers for business purposes.

(801) 377-7289

(801) 830-1535

Al is an awesome guy to talk to, FULL of knowledge.. If you have an idea, run it by Al, you may be surprised.]

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Mold
    Heads up to CBE for a positive response to my e-mail. I am looking elsewhere though purely due to the fact that i can not get any samples to shoot and it is a lot of money getting the mold here to try out. Good response on questions though and i will certainly keep an eye on his stuff.
    I have managed to get some bullets from the Lyman 314299 so will see how those do.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a Lyman 314299 and found that it cast at 0.312"/0.313" using wheel weights. Lyman states size using their #2 alloy which supposedly casts a thou or so larger than wheel weights. If so then the mould should cast to 0.314" using Lyman #2 alloy. I'd prefer the mould to cast larger then size down.

I am mostly using the NOE 316299 and Mihec 316410 both of which cast at 0.316" with wheelweights. I size to 0.315" for my Lee Enfields. That works for me.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Well i decided to go for the Lyman 314299 and work up my loads again and see where i am at. I managed to shoot a few before buying and they look like they will work well. I bought locally on a free shipping deal as the store actually answered my questions and i will not pay any import / duties/ handling fees which is a bonus.

Name:	57E91A49-2E02-4C74-83F8-4D07DEB5A2E0.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	311281