Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Magneto sport issues - wild/bizarre swings in velocity, 45-70 gg

Magneto sport issues - wild/bizarre swings in velocity, 45-70 gg

Hi all, I've touched on it in other threads but wanted to bump it up in case someone has dealt with this and resolved, and/or others might have or possibly will have the issue in the future with a lever action, 45-70.

Mounted the Magneto sport on my Marlin 45-70 gg just fine. With the short magazine tube, I could mount it directly, as per "normal."

Basically, I was getting wild velocity swings that made no sense. It might be 1410 with one charge, then on an incremental step up of 0.5 gr 5744, the velocity would report at 1300 fps. I tried altering the sensitivity but got similarly erratic results.

Anyone know what might have been the problem? Not sure I'll actually need a chrony in the future, but if I do go that way again, I'd love for the bayonet type to work. I think I've read many here have no problems on the gg's (or perhaps lever actions even with the extended magazine tubes - mounted at 90 deg. from "normal"), so not sure what's up.
    -Paul

Are you getting any "Sync" issues?

Possible damaged bayo. Do you tighten down the bayonet each time before shooting or just shoot the next one. Recoil on a 45-70 at 1400 will jar most anything loose. I find that if I have a routine to tighten down the bayo and give up maybe a minute, the barrel will cool and shots are more consistent. It's a pain, but I'm just gathering velocities for nodes. Just my experience.