Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had it with Cabela's

Had it with Cabela's

Needed powder and wanted to avoid Hazmat as I was only buying a couple pounds. Even with Cabela's gouging, it was as a stopgap worth it as I'm very low. Not the first time it's taken forever for supposedly "in-stock" ship-to-store powder to take forever. 5744 and 4198. The 4198 was supposedly "sent" on 1/20 and has not arrived, despite my multiple contacts with customer service and their multiple assurances "it will be just a few days."

Conveniently, they "have no ability to track the shipment." And now this - they "can't" cancel the order, because the order "hasn't arrived." In other words, they're suggesting I pay for a product I haven't gotten and will not get until who knows when, if ever?

I hate going through them. Prices are ridiculous. And this takes the cake. The "customer service" guy is "researching what's going on" and won't cancel the order. They have always "researched what's going on" the several times I've contacted customer service to ask, where's the order.

Had it.
    -Paul

Banned
    It was most likely never shipped, it was most likely sold when it was NOT in stock... Or it was sent to a store and a store employee took it home for free or bought it.

Cabellas has a strange thing with their website if you pay attention. they can only seem to mail order reloading supplies, powder, primers, IF the item is listed as OUT OF STOCK... but if in stock,,, in store only.

Boolit Master
    It’s not Cabela’s fault. It’s Bass Pro’s fault. They now own Cabela’s and from the day they took over ownership of Cabela’s it’s been this way. Merchandise quality is far worse today than when Cabela’s was a stand alone company. Today the name “Cabela’s” is a name only. It is actually a Bass Pro store putting a different sign up on the building. I just about quit going there for anything. It’s not what it used to be. I dealt with Cabela’s since the day they started. I quit holding them in high regard right after Bass Pro got their hands on them.

Yeah, I used to enjoy Cabela's too. Bass Pro bought them and it's ridiculous. Whether Cabela's used to be good, Cabela's under its name now is beyond abominable. I just wasted a half hour to get this kid to cancel the order - rather than continue to be required to pay for a product that will never arrive.

At the end, he finally came up with "it was lost in transit." Then, incredibly evasive as to cancelling the order and providing proof of the cancellation (needless to say, for me at least, I have zero trust in the company any longer).

I've read of many who have gone through this. I'm concluding they simply sell crap they don't have.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    It’s not Cabela’s fault. It’s Bass Pro’s fault. They now own Cabela’s and from the day they took over ownership of Cabela’s it’s been this way. Merchandise quality is far worse today than when Cabela’s was a stand alone company. Today the name “Cabela’s” is a name only. It is actually a Bass Pro store putting a different sign up on the building. I just about quit going there for anything. It’s not what it used to be. I dealt with Cabela’s since the day they started. I quit holding them in high regard right after Bass Pro got their hands on them.
    This +1,000

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Conveniently, they "have no ability to track the shipment." And now this - they "can't" cancel the order, because the order "hasn't arrived." In other words, they're suggesting I pay for a product I haven't gotten and will not get until who knows when, if ever?
    I've had great luck with my credit card company.
    Things companies say they 'can't do', Master Card will do it for them.... instantly.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Exactly correct.

Boolit Master
    My closest Bass Pro is 80 miles away. NO local gun stores sell any kind of reloading components. Ordering what I need on line and paying the hazmat and shipping is still cheaper than driving 80 miles only to find that what I want is out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Things companies say they 'can't do', Master Card will do it for them.... instantly.
    Yeah, agreed. Towards the end of this circus of a "chat" I indicated perhaps I should just go to the CC company directly. We eventually got there.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    My closest Bass Pro is 80 miles away. NO local gun stores sell any kind of reloading components. Ordering what I need on line and paying the hazmat and shipping is still cheaper than driving 80 miles only to find that what I want is out of stock.
    Agreed.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I look for the other shoe to drop and sooner or later CC companies will declare that any firearms related purchase will not be contested/refunded and it will be left to the purchaser/retailer to sort out.

If you think it can't happen I'd think again.

They may not be perfect but it is what we have.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I don't do business this way, not concerned which industry it is. I draw the line for saying they can't cancel until the product ordered online comes in. And the product is never coming, so it's beyond ridiculous to get the charge backed out.

This isn't the first time for me. Seems many people go through this and it also wouldn't be the first time it's been suggested they sell product they don't actually have. I suspect something like futures - they sell on a certain algorithm predicting when stock will come in, but it's obviously not in a warehouse and available else it would be sent out.

Edit: I called to find out whether they actually have Accurate 5744 and 4198 on hand at the store. For the 5744, he said "probably, no one wants anything from Accurate. They make lousy powder."

Not quite the "expertise" I appreciate.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 02-04-2023 at 07:20 PM.
    -Paul

Well, if CC companies decide to end any purchases that are firearms related, they open the door for a new competitor to step in and take the business along with all the other business shooting families will give them.

I agree with the others that when a vendor gives you the runaround, go to your CC company, explain and dispute the charges. They will take it from there. I just did this with an on-line defensive driver course where the website was just a total mess. I tried to cancel the course to no avail. After hours of frustration, called my CC company and they refunded the charge and will go after the vendor.

I too was a big fan of Cabela's. I think the day of the old family run sporting good businesses are over. I remember buying from the little LL Bean catalog when I was a kid. Top notch stuff for a resonable price and never charged for shipping. Now, they are pretty much Macy's with a flannel shirt... a designer flannel shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeoil View Post
    Well, if CC companies decide to end any purchases that are firearms related, they open the door for a new competitor to step in and take the business along with all the other business shooting families will give them.

I agree with the others that when a vendor gives you the runaround, go to your CC company, explain and dispute the charges. They will take it from there. I just did this with an on-line defensive driver course where the website was just a total mess. I tried to cancel the course to no avail. After hours of frustration, called my CC company and they refunded the charge and will go after the vendor.

I too was a big fan of Cabela's. I think the day of the old family run sporting good businesses are over. I remember buying from the little LL Bean catalog when I was a kid. Top notch stuff for a resonable price and never charged for shipping. Now, they are pretty much Macy's with a flannel shirt... a designer flannel shirt.
    Yeah, +1 for LL Bean. That's a huge shame.
    -Paul

We are now a third world country. Until the Federal Trade Commission institutes and enforces regulations to curb these controlling (IMHO) corporations and businesses, they will continue to extort from consumers through deceitful and possible illegal practices. If found to continue illegal practices, their businesses should not be allowed to sell or maintain businesses in the good old USA.

I may not correctly know who controls what, but this has to stop and they need to be held accountable, people need to enforce laws and regulations. Legislators need to legislate, do their jobs, not just collect paychecks, payoffs, and pensions.

The bottom line is we the people need to hold those accountable.

Yup, I'm mad, but heck I'm just a peon, but I can spend my money any which way I chose. Choose wisely my friends.

Rant over, we now return you to your regular posts. Typed by an undereducated old fart who has seen the best of times.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I don't do business this way, not concerned which industry it is. I draw the line for saying they can't cancel until the product ordered online comes in. And the product is never coming, so it's beyond ridiculous to get the charge backed out.

This isn't the first time for me. Seems many people go through this and it also wouldn't be the first time it's been suggested they sell product they don't actually have. I suspect something like futures - they sell on a certain algorithm predicting when stock will come in, but it's obviously not in a warehouse and available else it would be sent out.

Edit: I called to find out whether they actually have Accurate 5744 and 4198 on hand at the store. For the 5744, he said "probably, no one wants anything from Accurate. They make lousy powder."

That is great news, leaves more accurate powders along with 5744 and 4198 for me ....

Boolit Grand Master

Bass Pro's emphasis is on fishing. Watched several Cabela store go downhill in the hunting and shooting departments as soon as Bass Pro took them over. Haven't shopped at a Cabela's in 5 -6 years because of it. Won't go out of my way to do so.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

I took advantage of the Natchez no hazmat deal the other week. After everything was done, nine pounds of powder cost me around $34 lb each. My LGS had powder for about $20 more per lb. I used to love Cabelas until as others said, Bass Pro ruined them. My answer is shop around when the deals are there. I didn't get all the powders I wanted but managed three lbs each of three different powders. Get what I can when I can. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    I rarely go in Cabela's anymore. The prices went from to high to stupid when Bass Pro bought them. When I see a sale flyer with a good price on something I want, I will go to get that one item. I don't put anything on order that I'm not sure I'm going to get soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast