Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 296 for .357 mag

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    So can I use small rifle primers in place of magnum pistol primers? I'm trying to work up a load for hunting whitetails using a rifle, I have alot of 296 and would like to find a load that would work for the rifle I attend to use, the rifle is a henry single-action break barrel.
    It doesn’t matter if you’re shooting that load in a rifle or a pistol….it’s still a handgun round. Look at the loading manuals, they always show the same load in both sections. It makes no difference what firearm you shoot it out of, it’s the same loaded cartridge.

Boolit Master
    only difference I have found in rifle vs magnum pistol primers... is Price!!
    unless we're talkin rem 6-1/2's... a stout 357 load is gonna pop one of them, as they are only for Hornet class loads.. look it up...

Boolit Master
    Hat -

Howdy !

.357Mag is the only cartridge that I re-load, following load manual instructions ( my others are all wildcats ).

IMHO - don't sub rifle primers into a handgun application. I'm pretty sure the 14.5gr WW296 charge Winchester quoted was for use w/ SP Magnum primers. Those 2 major components worked well in Win, Rem; and FED cases. It was also a small enough charge to allow safe use under Lyman SWCS f 158-172gr.
    And.....all of those boolit weights shot well w/ this charge.

And, it shot well in my M1894SC.

I was not short on the recommended primers, so myself never felt compelled to try and sub-in rifle primers.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Have been using Small Rifle primers in all my .357 Magnum (full loads) and .38 Super loads for 40+ years with zero issues.

Only drawback with using SR primers in .357 (and if one has a .38 Super revolver) is that certain DA guns won't generate enough firing pin strike double action to set off the primer...have never had any issues when shooting single action...all pop.

Have not loaded much .357 in years but recently found a bunch of the discontinued Speer JSWC bullets in 146 and 160 grain...used 16.0 grains of H-110 and was right at 1400 fps from a 5.5" barrel...

Make sure to use maximum crimp to ensure good ignition...

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12