Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 296 for .357 mag

296 for .357 mag

I would like to load .158 gr SWC lead cast bullet in .357 mag with 296, having a hard time finding any data with this powder for lead cast, any help would be great, thank you

Boolit Master
    If you don’t own a Lyman reloading manual, you’d better get one. It’s possible that you don’t know that H110 and WW296 are the same powder? Not N110 (that’s Viht), but H110. All the data you need if you have the manual.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

RCBS has data for their bullets. I’ve loaded 38-150-swc with 296. It is the same as lymans 358477 I think. I used that data to extrapolate for lee 358-140-swc too.

Boolit Master
    I know 296 is listed but something like 2400 --4227--or Unique at around 1100fps will keep from leading unless you use a gas check.b

There's some info out there, but most guys are rather disappointed or not happy with it,
    and also say it has a real narrow between min. and max. loads.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There's some info out there, but most guys are rather disappointed or not happy with it,
    and also say it has a real narrow between min. and max. loads.
    I've just found that there isn't a whole lot that it can do that other powders can't. 2400 and Unique are almost "universal powders", they can be used in so many applications. So I find H110 to just not have enough versatility for my liking. I still have an almost full pound of it in the powder closet though...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Instead of using conventionally lubed, bare cast lead projectiles (which will probably work at least "okay"), I'd like to offer the suggestion that you use either gas-checked cast lead projectiles or cast lead projectiles that have been polymer coated (PC'd).
    W296/H110 will probably give you the best velocities available to you in .357 Magnum, but I would certainly expect leading to go with them.
    Remember to use small pistol magnum primers with H110/W296, and avoid reducing the maximum load by more than 3%.
    Good Luck!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

This info comes from Winchester, hope it helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230204_131439.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	310123
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Thank you all for your help, the bullet I want to load are all powder coated, the reason I would like to load with 296 is I have a lot of it, I have other options, just want to try 296 other then just .410, your help is very valuable . Thanks HC

powder coated may change starting load data? Does coating provide less or more friction?

Boolit Master

If you want to shoot a .357 as a .357mag, 296 is one of the best powders to do that. It is a max load thing and max accuracy at the same time. It is not a powder for mid range or loading down the cartridge. I don't know how many thousand Lyman Keith 358429's I've sent down range with max loads of 296. Accuracy with that load will average 2.5"@50yds for 6 shot groups. Leading is not a problem with good quality lubes. As you know also great in the .410 shotgun, I've used many kegs of it both ways.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

The starting load of W296 with a pc'd 158 cast swc shoots to point of aim with the fixed sights on my 3" Ruger Speed Six. Sized to .358 with zero leading. It's by far the best load I've tried in that pistol.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

H110/296 are not powders I will use in the 357 Magnum with cast bullet weights of 158 gr or less because I've had several failures to ignite with them in colder weather. The bullets were forced into the forcing cone on a couple where the cylinder could rotate and another cartridge could be fired behind the bullet lodged in the barrel.....not a good thing. With jacketed bullets it performs fine.

However, I've come to prefer 2400 and Blue Dot for both types of bullets with magnum level loads. Have not found ignition problems with either powder when 170+ gr cast bullets are used, but then I don't prefer those in the 357 Magnum either.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks the info is very helpful, do I need a magnum primer?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I always have..as a matter of course with that powder! Any load that I have picked between Min and Max printed in the 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Manual...Has been very good Indeed...Always at least 158 gr, and always gas checked..
    Note; I use the Magnum Loads in my Contender Mostly..The Wheelguns I own can be Unpleasant with Magnum loads...and That is Not the reason I shoot!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Yes, by ALL means, please use small pistol MAGNUM primers with H110/W296. This propellant can be difficult to ignite completely, if chamber pressure and flame duration are not above a certain threshold (part of the reason that the difference between starting and max charge weights is ~3%).
    Except possibly in .30 Carbine (which uses a small RIFLE primer), I think the use of magnum primers is strongly recommended for use in any pistol/revolver round using H110/W296.
    Now... Do some reloaders "get by", using standard pistol primers with H110/W296 in pistol revolver rounds? Yes, probably SOME, but a satisfactory outcome is NOT the way THIS reloader would BET on that combination.
    In fact, I know some serious .357 shooters who start their work-ups using small rifle (standard) primers at the 3% under max charge weight. They cite somewhat more complete (cleaner) burning, and a bit of extra safety margin, with the sturdier rifle primers.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Yes, by ALL means, please use small pistol MAGNUM primers with H110/W296. This propellant can be difficult to ignite completely, if chamber pressure and flame duration are not above a certain threshold (part of the reason that the difference between starting and max charge weights is ~3%).
    Except possibly in .30 Carbine (which uses a small RIFLE primer), I think the use of magnum primers is strongly recommended for use in any pistol/revolver round using H110/W296.
    Now... Do some reloaders "get by", using standard pistol primers with H110/W296 in pistol revolver rounds? Yes, probably SOME, but a satisfactory outcome is NOT the way THIS reloader would BET on that combination.
    In fact, I know some serious .357 shooters who start their work-ups using small rifle (standard) primers at the 3% under max charge weight. They cite somewhat more complete (cleaner) burning, and a bit of extra safety margin, with the sturdier rifle primers.
    Unless using Remington 6-1/2's... Bad JuJu

Boolit Master
    Hatcreek -

Howdy !

My favorite .357Mag load of all time is 14.5gr WW296 and SP Magnum primer, under a Lyman SWC of 158-172gr. These don't have to be gas checked.

This was the minimum charge of WW296 that Winchester / Olin listed in their handout reloading flier.
    This load has always been accurate for me, in "N" frames of 4,5, and 6" barrel length; and also in a Marlin 1894SC.

With regards,
    357Mag

So can I use small rifle primers in place of magnum pistol primers? I'm trying to work up a load for hunting whitetails using a rifle, I have alot of 296 and would like to find a load that would work for the rifle I attend to use, the rifle is a henry single-action break barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast