MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Newer Lee Pro 1000

Newer Lee Pro 1000

Here is another new item that will be soon available. It ditches the threaded head for Lee quick lock bushings. The primer feeder looks to be revised as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 00-22-02 20230111204757-c8f8efb4-me.jpg (JPEG Image 335 × 594 pixels).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	310111
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

My question is who would buy it? The 6 pack is the same price. The pro 1000 was a fine press in it's time, but that time has passed. The pro 4000 and pro 6000 are just too inexpensive to nerf yourself with 3 stations.

I'm sure it will be nice for loading pistol ammo.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    I'm sure it will be nice for loading pistol ammo.
    Nicer than a pro 4000 or 6000?

I own a pro 1000, have for years. I've loaded thousands of handgun rounds on it. I bought a pro 6000 and I'm dropping the pro 1000 like a sack of potatoes. There is nothing the 1000 does better. At the time the 1000 was fine since it was 1/3rd the price of the load master. Currently the 1000 is $230, and a 6000 is $232.

My only guess is Lee is using the rest of the spare parts they have.

Yeah, the Pro 1k primes cases, the pro 4k does not. Even though Lee this year has changed the plastic skirting around the pro 4k carrier, it still doesn't prime like a progressive. I agree that the pro 6k is the best, but sometimes simplicity is king and being much lighter, that might be appealing to some.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, yes and no. With only 3 stations in the pro1000 I was never able to come up with a way to load ammo in one shot. The only way it would be possible is to size in station 1, prime/expand/charge with powder all in station 2, then both seat and crimp in station three. Sizing is no problem, but you had to really have your ducks in a row for station 2. Then you have to make certain there was powder in the case plus set the bullet on there. Finally you have to both seat and crimp in one step which while possible, you have to walk that razors edge of setting. Any case variations and it would never work. It is simply a LOT to ask of both the press and yourself to make sure all of that is happening perfectly every time. Instead the only way I ever got it to work was to prep brass first, size, prime, expand. Then load in a second run charge, seat, crimp.

I've never owned the 4000. The only thing it does different is you need to push the primer into position for the feeder to drop on in the ram. It is the same setup as used on most of Lee's single stage presses, as well as the turrets. Sure it might seem slower, but by running slower, plus having 4 stations you could reasonably make ammo in one run with only some compromise. Station 2 is still a lot going on, but you can at least have a crimping die.

Like I said, I've never owned the 4000, but I do own the 1000 and the 6000. I don't think size or weight is any fair argument. The 1000 really isn't that much smaller or lighter than the 6000. It certainly doesn't effect bench space at all. Simplicity might be a valid argument, but I don't think it applies to the 1000. I think the 4000 gets the nod due to the manual primer setup. Or even better would be the turret press. After looking at it more, it does appear the 1000 did make one notable improvement, and that is the primer drop. The one I own collects them in the base and you then have to dump them out. You always spill some. The new setup is like all other Lee presses which is a phenomenal design. I don't know. I feel like if they really wanted to revamp the 1000, they should make it the 1001, ditch the case feeder, ditch the primer feeder. Just make it a bare bones progressive, manually insert cases, manually inset primers. I personally feel like it would never sell. The 4000 is already that kind of small bare bones press. Anyone wanting a full progressive press is now going right for the 6000. The Loadmaster seemed like a decent press but it was quirky, and the priming system was not that good of a design. It was also considerably more expensive than a 1000, especially in the past. The 1000 in the past was the simple, inexpensive press that just worked. The loadmaster was the big press, but it was touchy, and it costed considerably more.

I'm sticking with my original statement. Now that the 1000, 4000, and 6000 all cost about the same, the 1000 offers nothing. I'll be really surprised if it is still around in a couple of years.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 02-06-2023 at 10:28 PM.