Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fried cabbage

Boolit Master

Fried cabbage

We had some spicy southern fried cabbage tonight, the recipie is not exact. One head cabbage, two strips bacon, link sausage, shrimp, brown shrimp in separate pan, mushrooms,red pepper, green pepper cut in strips, two onions cut in rings, two heaping ts garlic minced,one or two jalapeño pepper, chopped, according to taste, Cajun seasoning,Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, salt pepper to taste one can rotel tomatoes, and any other spice you want. Cut cabbage core out and chunk then cook on medium heat two+ hours stirring often. Enjoy wow good.sorry I don’t measure just season to taste.
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy

That sounds pretty good.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    You had me at "bacon"!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Fried cabbage was a staple when I was a kid, just sliced cabbage and oil with a little salt..
    We had boiled cabbage, ground meat with rice and onions rolled in cabbage leaves and boiled along with chunks of cabbage...
    Brings back good memory's..

Boolit Master
    Since my wife passed i have become dependent on myself. The first few months frozen food got tired of it fast . Started with breakfast bacon cut in little pieces chopped onion, chopped hot pepper, mushrooms, cut up tomatoes, cheese cook. 2 ts heaping garlic, cook down add 2 eggs scramble and enjoy. YUM After 62 years married it is a shock to cook every meal but I like spice and good food and frozen is not good.
    Frank G.

Since I married my new wife less than a year ago, I discovered I found someone who likes eating what I cook, after 23 years of having someone who refused to eat anything but Burger King or Olive garden.

So, I made her this tonight, to stay in the cabbage theme, from a cookbook at the grocery store, called Irish Pub Food.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My wife cooks cabbage, it seems like almost every day. Partly because she grew over a hundred of them from seed last summer and is proud of them. I copied the post and sent it to her. Hot sausage with cabbage sounds good.

Negative on the spicy. No hot or spicy here. But othern that it sure sounds good. We both boil and fry cabbage. Good stuff.

Vendor Sponsor

There are so many variations on cooking cabbage, I wanted a change from boiled cabbage so I have been cooking cabbage in a wok.

2 strips hardwood smoked (fatty) bacon
    1/2 small to medium cabbage
    3 cloves garlic crushed and sliced coarse

Soy sauce and red pepper flakes to suit.

Fry bacon on medium heat to render out the fat, chop the cabbage and remove any thick parts you don't want to chew on, cook the cabbage in the bacon fat, stirring until coated evenly, add garlic, cover and let cook 30-40 minutes stirring often adding soy sauce and pepper in the last 15 minutes of cooking.

**Note: This is a very basic Asian flavored recipe, you can add bell peppers, onions, carrots, broccoli, anything you want, integrate it into the recipe as you see fit.

** This is also a small recipe, good for two people with no leftovers.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I cube up leftover boiled or roasted potato, slice cabbage in 1/4 inch wide strips then fry in bacon fat... season with whatever sounds good that day... anything from S&P to Cajun...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Since I married my new wife less than a year ago, I discovered I found someone who likes eating what I cook, after 23 years of having someone who refused to eat anything but Burger King or Olive garden.

So, I made her this tonight, to stay in the cabbage theme, from a cookbook at the grocery store, called Irish Pub Food.

Dang that looks so good, any left over to share ???

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    The wife and I made fried cabbage with smoked sausage the other night . I think we had 3 meals out of that pot of cabbage and it just got better every time we had it!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Cabbage and bacon goes well together and if you add a bit of balsamic vinegar, it goes well with angel hair pasta, when mixed.
    A suprising meal can be made in a large fry pan with a cover. Using turkey bacon and couple dozen Brussels sprouts cut in half. You fry a pound of turkey bacon, a couple cloves of garlic and a small onion chipped, then put the brussel sprouts in the pan the cut face down to brown, add a bit of balsamic vinegar and cover. When the sprouts are tender, pour in angle hair pasts with the bacon chipped, add soy sauce and toss together, serve while hot, makes a light meal.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Thanks for bumping this thread, I missed it the first time around.
    I /love/ cooked cabbage; have bookmarked this thread to try some of the above.

Boolit Master
    Fried cabbage and over medium eggs and some wheat toast, nice cup of coffee.

Maybe and some onions, garlic to the Cabbage!!

Maybe some fried potatoes ( cook them in micro-wave until done) smash just break it up brown until nice color.

One of my winter breakfasts, Wife and Kiddo's don't like Cabbage much.

'Wife and Kiddo's don't like Cabbage much.'- Thier Loss!!
    Looking forward to trying some of the above! My wife gets pretty skeptical of some of my combinations! hc18flyer

Boolit Master

I fry cabbage all the time. Onions , bacon, slight amt cider vinegar, pinch sugar. Never used sausage.... I'm gonna now tho!

I have done fried spinish and onions + garlic + bacon grease. Frying cabbage sounds a winner! And the spices and the vinegar YES!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Tonight I started with just a little bacon in a cast iron skillet. Cabbage, onion, and 'Slap yo Momma' cajun seasoning. DAMN THAT WAS GOOD! I forgot the cider vinegar, so I will have to try again! hc18flyer

Boolit Master

YEP! and balance it with a pinch of sugar I've got some "slap yo mamma", gonna try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast