RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: What is the Difference?

What is the Difference?

What is the Difference between a Uberti .45 Colt 1873 Made in the 90's, and a Uberti Winchester currently .45 Colt made currently?

Is one better than the other?

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

Boolit Master
    If they are both chambered in .45 colt, Price ??

Boolit Grand Master

I would still Plan On checking the chamber size if you get one.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, chamber size along with groove diameter and twist.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    One made in Italy and one made in Japan. Parts do not interchange. AFAIK, both are made with maximum SAAMI chamber specs. Twist rates will vary, Miroku runs 1:26, my 1986 & 2008 Ubertis are 1:20, while my 2014 Uberti is 1:18. (all 3 are 45 Colt).
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

I'm Looking at a Uberti .45 Colt 24" 1873 made for Cabela's made in the 90's, so the chamber could be oversized?

Thx,
    Barman54
    Out

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman54 View Post
    I'm Looking at a Uberti .45 Colt 24" 1873 made for Cabela's made in the 90's, so the chamber could be oversized?
    Thx,
    Barman54
    Out
    I wouldn't call it oversized, but... the SAAMI spec is a range, from x dimension to y dimension... with one being larger than the other. I would expect that in line with all leverguns being chambered in 45 Colt the trend has been toward the max dimension. As it makes for easier chambering of cartridges. If you're only feeding one 45 Colt levergun, it may serve to just neck size. I've been shooting 45 Colt out of a Uberti 1873 since 1987 and have not seen any real problem with case life, etc... although I know that my chamber is on the large size of the spec. I also have two other Uberti rifles chambered in 45 Colt, a 1873 Short Rifle, an 1860 Henry; along with a Marlin 1894, Rossi 1892 and a Miroku 1885. All of them run to the 45 Colt maximum SAAMI spec. I have sized every piece of brass fired thru them all with the same set of carbide dies from RCBS. No problems. I size my bullet to .452 in weights from 230 down to 160, both round flat nose and truncated cone. I shoot both smokeless and BP. I also keep some "social" rounds around JHPs in 240 grains. Don't overthink the size thing. While I might have a few thousand cases at any given time, with several hundred to a thousand loaded rounds, I compete in cowboy action matches, and prefer to load at specific times of the year as my reloading setup is out in my barn's workshop, the heat is not very efficient, and A/C is non-existent. So I'll just crank out several thousand rounds over the course of a couple of days.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life