Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: RIA Baby 1911

RIA Baby 1911

Saw one of these at the gun counter at Rural King. Fondled it. I was impressed by the fit and machining. It is also cute as a bugs ear. Don't currently load for .380.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these and boolits? Enable me.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Experience? No, but I wish I did! The little Brownings are cute also, but I don't want the polymer frame. I do have 3 or 4 of the older Llama III-A .380s, all steel and fun, both linked barrel and blowback. I'm also into the 1911 .22s -- Walther/Colt, GSG, and Chiappa. Fun shooters, lots of good 1911 practice, but I'm going to not say "cheap practice" in view of how the price of ammo went up! I have no complaints about my .45 ACP RIA, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another of their products. That's about as much enabling as I can provide.

DG

Boolit Master
    I have a couple; there OK, I will stick with my .22 mag if not carrying my .45 ACP...

I've had a Baby-Rock for many years, actually on my second, and it's a good gun but does have it's flaws. My first one was very accurate and a fun range pistol until the slide stop started peening the slide notch by not catching it fully. Sent that one back and they replaced it with a new pistol. Didn't take long and the new one started to do the same thing so before it got bad I reshaped the slide stop to fit the slide notch properly which corrected the problem. The other issue I have with the new one is the barrel slugs at right around .358". Terrible accuracy unless I size my boolits to .359" then it's as accurate as the first one. Both had very stiff 8+ pound triggers but being a scaled down version of a 1911 they were easy to reduce. They're very reliable with most boolits but like their big brothers they need just the right OAL to feed SWC's reliably. By the way, these are a blow-back design and more harsh to shoot but loading reduced charges makes it very comfortable.

First Rock after 300 rounds. Slide stop would only lock the slide back about 50% of the time.

Replacement pistol. This is as far as you could push the stop into the notch manually.
    Would only engage about half way on an empty mag lock-back.

sun trust banking

After reshaping the stop. 500+ rounds through the pistol. Engages slide notch fully after an empty mag lock-back.