Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major boo boo charged 135 gr with 115 gr loading of titegroup

Boolit Master
    I use a solid block of limestone with my inertia puller. I am 71. I got to use the inertia puller two years ago when I used an orange can of old Dupont 4831 instead of an orange can of old 3031 when reloading 223 rounds. Fortunately I had only loaded 20 rounds.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 02-03-2023 at 03:42 PM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    Applying this logic led to destroying my inertial bullet puller by banging it on the top of a vise.

This suggests a whole new thread comparing the relative mass of wood, concrete, steel, and other hard materials to determine the optimum hardness to expedite use of an inertial puller and still keep it intact.
    I've gorilla fisted a few things that way too.
    The secret technique to not destroying it is all in the wrist.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

We use the end cut of a 4" well dried oak type post.
    Hey Crash... we all goof sometimes. Thanks to God you caught it and asked !
    I still like your seat Holster and what rides along in it.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I use a full-size loaf pan lead ingot with my RCBS puller. I have broken the screw-on end cap once and RCBS happily replaced it and apologized for it breaking.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm glad you caught the over charged ammo ... ATTABOY !

When reloading ... Slow and Careful beats Fast and Reckless seven ways to Sunday .

I kinda like Slow and Careful and the older I get ... the slower and more Careful I have to be !

So slow down , be careful and load safe ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I may have an unofficial record for pulling rounds down with a kinetic hammer. I bought a Mec-tech .460 Rowland 1911 upper from a son who was getting rid of his deceased father's guns and reloading gear. It came with 600 rounds of boxed new component loads. He said his father was in his 70s when he loaded them five years earlier, but that the father's memory had been failing and he thought the loads might be suspect. The data shown on the box labels put them at the max of listed loads for the 185 grain Barnes JHP bullets. Over a three-week period, I pulled them all down in batches using a seasoned oak log round to hit with the hammer. The hammer still works, but I had to replace the collet O ring a couple of times. Since then, I've been resizing the brass with a sizing die minus the depriming stem. Just the primed brass and the 600 Barnes HPs are worth quite a bit these days.

I've also had to do the same process with a couple hundred rounds of "+P+" 115 grain JHP 9mm handloads I was given. Very early during the first process I found a pair of my old padded fingerless weight lifting gloves that helped keep my right hand from self-destructing. BTW, I'm in my mid-70s and my right arm still works after these exercises. GF

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    The hammer still works, but I had to replace the collet O ring a couple of times.F
    I got frustrated with the 3 piece, O ring thing and use a single stage shell holder.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

PCC and open-bolt sub-machineguns are greats tools for disposing of spicy pistol rounds, in my experience.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    I have had poor results with the inertia (hammer style) pullers. I have found the RCBS collet puller to be much easier, way faster and about silent.
    My ONLY real dis-like with the Inertia pullers is ALL dumps. And, that (for me) means powder stuck to lube on bullets. I use both the RCBS collet-type pullers as well as a Brass Grip'r product which is like a pliers placed on bullet to be removed -- having been placed in press -- with the press handle then moved to pull bullet. In both -- the powder stays dry, together, and imho re-usable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRIP n PULL.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	310121
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 02-04-2023 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Pull the bullets, which should be just a couple of blows with an inertia puller. Reuse the primed cases and powder. I've pulled a lot of plated 9mm bullets from loaded rounds picked up at the range and the bullet condition varies from non-reloadable to OK depending largely on the amount of crimp applied. I've reloaded many of them for playing around loads.

Boolit Master

I come across lots of suspect ammo. It goes in a one pound coffee can marked “2 pull”. When the can gets near full, and the wife is out for a few hours, I pull them for the components. If they are tightly crimped loads I’ve found tapping the projectile into the case a mil or two will loosen the crimp. Then the kinetic puller does the rest.

I dont use it a lot but when I do I hold a chunk of lead and hit with the other. Or leave the lead on bench.

Boolit Master
    Extended shellholder in loading press, pair of sidecutter pliers or farrier nippers to pull. I have used many bullets pulled this way at ranges under 100 yards without hurting accuracy. Two little nicks on bullet if done carefully. I have an inertia puller (RCBS?), do not use it, too slow, too much pounding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12