MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major boo boo charged 135 gr with 115 gr loading of titegroup

Boolit Master

Major boo boo charged 135 gr with 115 gr loading of titegroup

Well the old fart did it again. Rember I am the guy who cast his boolits without use of handles on lee 6 bangers?

I recently bought a new 9mm and I needed ammo. I end up loading about 150 rounds of 135 gr copper washed fn .355 boolits with 5.0 grs of Titegroup. This is the correct loading for 115 gr copper washed rn ammo not 135 gr. The question is do I shoot these in my least favorite 9mm a Sig Sauer P2022 or maybe in my Ruger Blackhawk 9 MM cylinder or do I pull all these loads or trash them? I am not about to use them in my new S&W Shield 2.0 ez ct or my beloved Browning or my EAA Witness Match Elite.

What else can I do to screw up my life?
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don’t have a firearm, nor a hand, nor eyes I hold in such low regard. I would pull them without a moment’s thought otherwise.

But it’s not my circus, not my monkeys, so you can do what you want!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

You could probably have them all pulled in about 30 min with an inertia puller.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like pulling the bullets would take a lot less time than learning to do everything left-handed.

I'd pull 'em. I loaded some .44 mags to max load, 9.2 grains of Titegroup for a 240 grn bullet. I loaded (without realizing it) with a 250 grn bullet. Luckily I was using a Super Redhawk. I had to knock the cases out of the cylinder with a piece of cleaning rod and a hammer.

The same bullets loaded down to 9 grains worked fine.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    While the Ruger would likely be up to the task,, I would NOT chance it.

I'd pull the bullets & start over.

PS; I've seen personally what happens when there's been an overcharge of a 9mm. When it blew the gun, it did injure the shooters hand. He is a welder by trade & it could have ruined his livelihood.

PULL THEM!!!!!!!

A few minutes of prevention versus a lifetime of regret.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon says 3.8gr Titegroup is the max load with a 135gr bullet in 9mm. I’d pull them
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

I do not think I would shoot them.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    Well the old fart did it again. Rember I am the guy who cast his boolits without use of handles on lee 6 bangers?

I recently bought a new 9mm and I needed ammo. I end up loading about 150 rounds of 135 gr copper washed fn .355 boolits with 5.0 grs of Titegroup. This is the correct loading for 115 gr copper washed rn ammo not 135 gr. The question is do I shoot these in my least favorite 9mm a Sig Sauer P2022 or maybe in my Ruger Blackhawk 9 MM cylinder or do I pull all these loads or trash them? I am not about to use them in my new S&W Shield 2.0 ez ct or my beloved Browning or my EAA Witness Match Elite.

What else can I do to screw up my life?
    Green Frog (Post #2) said it ALL! A fellow (Jim) had a gorgeous Colt SAA and had run out of BP; he "did the math" and subbed smokeless -- I do not recall the powder or charge -- but the 1st shot at range split its barrel better than a Plasma cutter may have done. He was MOST lucky still having two working eyes and five fingers on his right hand -- 'cept he was bruised/hurting for quite the while (months!) after. ((Hard to believe (maybe?) he had loaded up a box of fifty, and actually tried selling the remaining 49 rounds... ))
    Again, "Froggie" said it all!
    geo

Boolit Master

In my book, 5 grs TG under a 115 gr bullet is well into 9mm +p+ range.
    Pull them down and chalk it up to experience.

Anyone that can use a 6 hole Lee without handles probably doesn't need any advice from me.
    You, and Chuck Norris are probably the only two people that can do that.

However;
    Having had to 'unload' more than one batch with an inertia puller---
    (the last time was when a electronic scale lied to me and I under charged 250 rounds of .223s)
    I can tell ya it doesn't take long, and you'll be glad you did.

Do it carefully on a clean bench, and you can salvage the primed cases, powder, and maybe the boolits.
    All you've really lost is a little bit of time.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-03-2023 at 12:48 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I agree. Pull them.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

OK y'all made me a believer. It really smarts since almost all of my reloading stuff is in a storage unit. Alll I had left was a rockchucker.

I had to buy the following: powder funnel, powder dispenser, powder dispenser stand, set of Lee 9 MM dies, cheap electronic scale, loading trays, 8 lbs Titegroup powder, lee bench mounted hand primer tool, lee factory crimp die in 9 mm, 9 mm case gauge, 500 135 gr fn j-words, 1000 cleaned and sized 9 mm cases, a DeWalt cordless drill w/bits to mount the priming tool and the powder measure to my bench.

I have about 8,000 small primers on hand. Some where in that storage unit is a Dillon primer pocket swaging tool along with my Lee lead furnace and about 2,000 cast lead 9 mm boolits that have been coated with that melt on gooey paint.

It is really slow to asemble loaded rounds with a single stage press after having used a Dillon XL 650 for that purpose.

I have reached 80 years and my energy levels have really dropped a bunch over the last 5 years. COPD does not help much and I must plan my activities with plenty of rest breaks about every 10 minutes. Getting old ain't much fun any more.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I'm only 68, and tell people all the time that getting old isn't for the meek or faint of heart.

By the way---- it was a cheap electronic scale that lied to me and caused me to pull right at 250 of .223s.
    I have also learned that banging the puller on a concrete floor works much faster than hitting it on the bench.

And look on the bright side-
    Pulling boolits and that single stage press will help keep you out of those crooked BINGO parlors.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-03-2023 at 01:15 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    OK y'all made me a believer. It really smarts since almost all of my reloading stuff is in a storage unit. Alll I had left was a rockchucker.

I had to buy the following: powder funnel, powder dispenser, powder dispenser stand, set of Lee 9 MM dies, cheap electronic scale, loading trays, 8 lbs Titegroup powder, lee bench mounted hand primer tool, lee factory crimp die in 9 mm, 9 mm case gauge, 500 135 gr fn j-words, 1000 cleaned and sized 9 mm cases, a DeWalt cordless drill w/bits to mount the priming tool and the powder measure to my bench.

I have about 8,000 small primers on hand. Some where in that storage unit is a Dillon primer pocket swaging tool along with my Lee lead furnace and about 2,000 cast lead 9 mm boolits that have been coated with that melt on gooey paint.

It is really slow to asemble loaded rounds with a single stage press after having used a Dillon XL 650 for that purpose.

I have reached 80 years and my energy levels have really dropped a bunch over the last 5 years. COPD does not help much and I must plan my activities with plenty of rest breaks about every 10 minutes. Getting old ain't much fun any more.
    Sell the primers and buy loaded jacketed ammo. 9mm is back down to reasonable levels. As much as I love loading my own, I know there will be a day when I am done. Same with splitting wood.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your starting load of 5.0 gr is over maximum for a 115 gr 9mm load. Data from the Hodgdon site.

You should rethink your approach to loading. There is little to be gained from pushing the envelope.

I hear you about getting old. I have a new press to wring out and am struggling to lift my right arm. I have the shakes...and I am only 72. Need surgery but trying to see if the chiropractor can help out first.

Hang in there as long as you can, but there comes a time we need to accept reality. Be safe!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I have also learned that banging the puller on a concrete floor works much faster than hitting it on the bench.
    Applying this logic led to destroying my inertial bullet puller by banging it on the top of a vise.

This suggests a whole new thread comparing the relative mass of wood, concrete, steel, and other hard materials to determine the optimum hardness to expedite use of an inertial puller and still keep it intact.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    Applying this logic led to destroying my inertial bullet puller by banging it on the top of a vise.

This suggests a whole new thread comparing the relative mass of wood, concrete, steel, and other hard materials to determine the optimum hardness to expedite use of an inertial puller and still keep it intact.
    Gotta say I still use the vise. Have a puller that's lasted this time about 8 years, so I get my use out of it.

Boolit Master
    I have had poor results with the inertia (hammer style) pullers. I have found the RCBS collet puller to be much easier, way faster and about silent.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast