Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got It Done

Boolit Master

Finally Got It Done

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7x57.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	310064 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target 7x57 Mauser.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	310065
    For longer than I'd care to admit I've had a personal goal of shooting five rounds into a 1" group at 100 yards with cast bullets. Several times I've come close, but today I finally did it. I know that lots of people have done this, and even better, but until today I wasn't one of them. I shot a string of three targets; the first two printed groups around 1.5" The attached photo is of the third target. The bullet hole with the red arrow is actually two bullet holes. Two bullets went through, and enlarged, the same hole. The group measures 3/4" center to center. I took some meticulous efforts to get this ammo from the casting pot to the range, but it payed off in the end. I don't plan on going this extreme with most of my loads, getting under an inch was just a goal that I'd set for myself.

Boolit Master
    Well I say good job. Congrats.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations, a worthy goal and you got there. I know it took a lot of "attention to details". What was your alloy?
    Tony

Boolit Mold
    Awsome job. Hope to get there some day too. I just started casting a couple weeks ago.

ChuckS.

Boolit Buddy
    What is your rifle action? I can see it is a mauser, but the spoon handle on the bolt has me confused.BTW nice rifle.

Hey 405grain
    Outstanding!!! Been there, done that. Wish I could have been there to jump up and down with you. It has been my extreme pleasure to experience this achievement with others. Now you are another that can appreciate it for others that cross this threshold. Way to go!!
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post

For longer than I'd care to admit I've had a personal goal of shooting five rounds into a 1" group at 100 yards with cast bullets. Several times I've come close, but today I finally did it. I know that lots of people have done this, and even better, but until today I wasn't one of them. I shot a string of three targets; the first two printed groups around 1.5" The attached photo is of the third target. The bullet hole with the red arrow is actually two bullet holes. Two bullets went through, and enlarged, the same hole. The group measures 3/4" center to center. I took some meticulous efforts to get this ammo from the casting pot to the range, but it payed off in the end. I don't plan on going this extreme with most of my loads, getting under an inch was just a goal that I'd set for myself.
    OUTSTANDING! In my half-century-plus shooting I have NEVER accomplished this. Yup -- I've gotten FOUR either touching or with maybe two thru the same hole -- but there's always been that (expletive!!!)-one shot which is out of the group. I've had zillions of excuses -- "flyer" -- 1st shot -- 5th shot -- magazine anomaly -- etc., etc., etc. -- but, again, have never accomplished what you did. KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!
    geo

Great job!
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Congratulation!!!

I had a frustrating time getting to that point. When I considered casting again I decided to try some bullets first. So, Montana Bullet Works were consulted and I got two boxes from them. The second group with the RCBS 165Sil went to 0.9"!!! I was ecstatic. This was going to be easy.

Then I got my own molds and proceeded to try to chase that number. Took quite a while to do it but it finally happened. Now days it happens more often, but, as alluded to, it takes being more picky about bullets and reloading technique. And it still does not happen every time. One always seem to 'sneak' out of the group.

Nice group,nicer rifle! Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting 405grain!

Try doing that with cast in an 'as issued' 03A3! I've been regularly engaged in military bolt matches (bench rest) since sometime in the mid to late '90s, 5 record targets (SR-21) per match, 10 record rounds per target (2 for group, 3 for score), 100 yards, almost every month. That is a lot of targets and a lot of record rounds.

Several things must come together:

Environment, including decent lighting, wind, temperature, and other factors. You have less control over this than the next several factors.

Equipment, including a decent bench, shooting bags, rifle, sights, etc.

Ammo, your very best cast bullets, tailored for your rifle, meticulously loaded.

Bench technique, the best and most consistent you can do. Get some help from a successful BR shooter, if needed.

I guess there are other things, but this is what I pay attention to most.

Of all the record targets I've shot, I do not recall having any sub 1" groups with cast in 'as issued' 03A3, and that rifle is indeed a fine specimen. I've done plenty of sub 2.5" and a few sub 1.5".

All other things being equal, match sights or a scope can have a positive affect on producing tighter groups, but our rules do not allow anything other than 'as issued'. It's a fun game for sure, and good fellowship!

The one thing that keeps coming to the forefront is: CONSISTENCY.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Congratulations! I’ve never done it. Bout the best I’ve done is 1-1/2” at 70y with my Winchester 94 30-30. But I ain’t messed much with bolt guns.

Boolit Master
    Five shots in 1" at 100 yards is STILL on my "bucket list". I may be handicapping myself by wanting to do with with a 8x57mm Mauser, but we'll see.
    Hey, 405grain, were you shooting loads in the 1500-1800 f/s range, or were you going for faster?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Nicely done, The fun and knowledge is in the journey, now the second one is the hardest....

EXCELLENT shooting 405grain! I'm sure it took a lot of work to get to this point. Kudos to you!

I found a Remington 1903A3, as-issued except for the stock, in a nice target stock in a pawn shop a couple of years ago. With two different cast bullets and the same load it shot a 1 3/8" group (Lyman 311672)and a 1 1/2" (Lyman 311332) group at 100 yds with my almost 60 year old eyes. I put it in an original stock and haven't fired it since. With a scope mounted I feel certain it would group under 1".

Anyhow, keep up the good work!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Good job.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Nice! Any cool down period? Or just firing when ready? My son and I held right at 2 MOA the other day at 300 yards with cast. Had me wondering if slowing our pace might improve groups.

Boolit Master
    Thank you guys. The rifle is a VZ-24 that's chambered in 7x57 Mauser. The bullets that I was shooting were rcbs 7-168-Sp. I powder coated just the driving bands, then swirl lubed in 45-45-10. The charge was 28.0 grains of IMR-3031 with a 1 grain dacron filler. I was using once fired PPU cases that were neck sized only. I got lucky, and on that day there was no wind at all. I shot three 5 shot groups at a leisurely pace and the other two printed groups around 1.5" with that one darned bullet landing out in the outfield and toasting the group.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post

Very nice work but I say "Au contraire!" ... I think you have set a 'new standard of excellence' for yourself and I think you will continue to tinker with the load until you get ... say, 3 consecutive five shot target groups all under 1".

When you make a 'milestone achievement' like this, it raises your personal bar.

Again..."nicely done!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Congratulations,

I've done it once with my 7-08 and the Lyman 160 Silhouette boolit , IMR 3031 was the powder as well . I've noticed through the years that alot of folks you see at the public ranges can't even come close to that even with the latest and greatest .

Well Done

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast