Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Removal of old BP Charge?

Boolit Buddy

Removal of old BP Charge?

I just received a vintage BP percussion musket. Happy with the purchase but have a bit of a problem. The first thing that I checked upon delivery was the bore length to the vent hole using the ramrod as a gauge. Guess what? There is a powder charge in it. I've removed the plug of tow along with a few pieces of shot and there is a second cloth appearing wad (I'm using a screw type ball/wad removal attachment on a synthetic ramrod). I've gotten to the powder charge and have broken the top layer up and removed it but the screw doesn't appear to be working very well now - can't seem to get it to screw into the powder. I know BP is a mixture that includes potassium nitrate and it should be water soluble. Would something like Ballistol 2:1 with water work to soften the plug?

Boolit Grand Master

Water does not break BP down. BP that has been underwater for a very long time can be dried and used. If the ball or shot has been removed any reason to not just fire it?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

If I was you, I would seat a felt wad or similar on top of the powder, and shoot it. If for whatever reason it doesn't go off, then another tool you can try is a breech face scraper, AKA fouling scraper. It will chew up powder well enough for you to get it out. If you are anywhere in central MN, Elk River has this amazing place that you can buy anything you could ever want.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/579/1

Boolit Master
    HOT water
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Without the ball, there shouldn't be some over pressure problem if the BP was ignited.
    I'd shoot it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info! I have scoped the bore and noted some pitting just in front of the powder charge. By vintage I mean possibly mid 1800's. I am a bit hesitant to fire it not knowing if what I have found is the only charge in it. A double charge might not fare well.

I'm well aware of Track - I've ordered from them multiple times and stopped by their shop a couple of times when in the area. I do have a breech face scraper and will give that a try.

Boolit Grand Master

Using a grease gun is an option also

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Water will reduce it to sludge in a short time. Pour it down, let stand a bit and you should be good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I was able to break up the charge with a worm and then scrubbed a bit with a bore brush. Still don't know if the vent hole is open - will have to put a cap on and see if it fires through. May follow that up with a powder charge and wad just to loosen up anything that may be in there and then do a thorough cleaning. It needs a little repair work on the lock as the front of the hammer is eaten away a bit and the lock up could be a bit more positive. We'll see how that goes once I pull the sideplate off.

If you are concerned about shooting the charge out, get a patch puller. Either the corkscrew style or the little wire style. A breech scraper should work also. Looks like a flathead screwdriver bit.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There’s always removing the breech plug, but that can be a big job if it hasn’t been removed for many years.