RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the propane store visit

Boolit Master
    I quit propane about 10 years ago. The company sold out and the new owners were crazy. Trying to talk to then was like trying to talk to a politician, just gibberish. Had a wall heater that I rarely used, water heater and cook stove. I was on a monthly payment plan, my bill ran $60 to $70 a month. They filled up my Mothers tank at $2.75, my brother at $2.50 and mine at $4.20 per gallon. Switched over to a electric water heater, cook stove and a Duraflame electric heater. When I told them to come and get their tank they told me I would be sorry. The electric bill went up $20 a month.

Propane is a petroleum product, LP. So as goes oil, so goes Propane and also natural gas, methane, found next to oil in the ground, Duh.

Well if you build new today, closed foam exterior walls, roof, open cell interior walls for noise reduction, fiberglass solid core exterior doors, PVC framed windows 2 inch thick, insulated. Do yourself a favor, run vapor gas for heat, whole house generator, cooking, tankless water heaters, and clothes dryer. Next car you buy should be a whole house generator, at 110% of need, seriously, do not get caught without power again.

Go to a Pure Washing system, uses 110 plug in power and cold water to cold water inlet, to produce cold water only ozone to wash clothes, all colors, one load, push one button, no soap, no phosphates and no bleach, done, and done no by-product, only pure water. You have a septic system, how simple is that for a decision.

We have two 1,000 gallon Propane tanks, I bought, I had painted, I installed. Since I own them, I fill from from the cheapest place, each year. Have a list on my phone, click, I need a price on 1,000 gallons delivered to....how hard is that. I have 150 to 125% of annual need, so if the price is going down, I wait, if going up, I buy. And I buy once a year at the lowest price. I am a Scott, we be notorious for being thrifty.

My prior electric bill was $400 for one 3,500 ft structure, now with three structures, 6,000 ft, the combined bill is half the old bill. Electric Co and Joe may put that in their pipe and smoke it.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Propane is a petroleum product, LP. So as goes oil, so goes Propane and also natural gas, methane, found next to oil in the ground, Duh.

Well if you build new today, closed foam exterior walls, roof, open cell interior walls for noise reduction, fiberglass solid core exterior doors, PVC framed windows 2 inch thick, insulated. Do yourself a favor, run vapor gas for heat, whole house generator, cooking, tankless water heaters, and clothes dryer. Next car you buy should be a whole house generator, at 110% of need, seriously, do not get caught without power again.

Go to a Pure Washing system, uses 110 plug in power and cold water to cold water inlet, to produce cold water only ozone to wash clothes, all colors, one load, push one button, no soap, no phosphates and no bleach, done, and done no by-product, only pure water. You have a septic system, how simple is that for a decision.

We have two 1,000 gallon Propane tanks, I bought, I had painted, I installed. Since I own them, I fill from from the cheapest place, each year. Have a list on my phone, click, I need a price on 1,000 gallons delivered to....how hard is that. I have 150 to 125% of annual need, so if the price is going down, I wait, if going up, I buy. And I buy once a year at the lowest price. I am a Scott, we be notorious for being thrifty.

My prior electric bill was $400 for one 3,500 ft structure, now with three structures, 6,000 ft, the combined bill is half the old bill. Electric Co and Joe may put that in their pipe and smoke it.
    My water is coming into the house at 42 degrees right now, on demand systems can't get it hot enough... I like a HOT shower, not a shower that is barely warm like my sisters house with on demand water heaters.

Boolit Master

tankless heaters only work in certain areas of the country, if you have hard water they will be a maintenance nightmare and a constant drain on your wallet. my gas tank style water heater uses no electricity so unlike the tankless it stills makes hot water when the power is out(sometimes city water can be a good thing to have)
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    The single best improvement anyone can do for energy conservation is to spend money on good insulation. We have a 12,000 sf production building where I work, and we sprayed 4” of closed cell foam insulation on the interior when we remodeled it eight years ago. Even in the coldest winters, which aren’t terrible here but can easily go a week or more in the low 30’s, the heat from the machine motors and the human load will keep the inside temperature in the mid-70’s to low 80’s - we often have to turn on the roof fans to keep it comfortable. We don’t work on Sundays but the workers can go home on Saturday and come in Monday morning with only a loss of a few degrees. Of course, the slab is a heat sink and helps even out the swings but regardless, I’ve always been amazed how well spray type insulation works. We had a cold snap two years ago that put us in single digits for four days and in the 20’s for a week - the shop was unoccupied the entire time and only sank into the low 50’s.

The best thing we did in our home was to install high quality double windows, which has not only saved money but also balances the highs and lows - so our overall comfort has improved.

Boolit Mold
    I propane delivered last week . Was 2.80 a gallon . Was going to get a bottle filled today 2.99 a lb . They was out of propane.

Propane weight per Gallon= 4.2 pounds U.S.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Master

Wow - I was in Cabellas last week and they had Green Bottle (16 Oz) propane for $6.99 per bottle. That translates to $29.35 per gallon!! No wonder I refill the Green Bottles from a 5 Gallon Propane Jug using an adapter I bought several years ago (At Cabellas of all places before Bass Pro bought them).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

I had my tank filled last month for $2.59 a gallon, 320 gallons to 80%. Last August gasoline was nearly $4.00 and LP was $2.01. I only use it for heat, cooking, clothes drying, barbecues and processing ww. My electric went up $25 a month from the last rate increase. The only thing that isn't up is stock market returns.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Working on installing a brand new fancy zero clearance wood stove because of the price the neighbor paid on last fill up. I paid 2.09 in September and he paid 4.29 one month later. So I figured we needed a backup. Should have remembered my age I'm getting to old to do this stuff myself. Oh well we will be burning wood next year if the price is out of control.
    And the crazies want to ban wood burners too !

Boolit Master
    We use 100lb lp bottles for our constuction heaters fill cost three dollars a gallon. Sometimes a bottle only last for a day still way cheaper than running our electric work heaters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    And the crazies want to ban wood burners too !
    Anything that makes you self sufficient they want to ban. I just heard a few days ago they are now after my propane cook stove. I am the last house on the grid in the mountains. Power goes out it stays out for a long time. Wood and propane keep me alive. Other day it was neg 26 without the wind chill. Lets see electric keep me warm in that.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Working on installing a brand new fancy zero clearance wood stove because of the price the neighbor paid on last fill up. I paid 2.09 in September and he paid 4.29 one month later. So I figured we needed a backup. Should have remembered my age I'm getting to old to do this stuff myself. Oh well we will be burning wood next year if the price is out of control.
    There is a biomass credit if it meets efficiency. WAS 26% now 23%. Includes price of stove, supplies, and labor costs. Trump signed it end of 2020.

Boolit Master
    USCSB on utube details four people killed by incompetence & propane
    "CSB Safety video: Half an hour to tragedy"
    A fireman and an EMT were killed.
    It's a good look at a liquid withdrawal valve and awesome incompetence.
    All the kid had to do was screw his adaptor on the blowing hole.
    Needed safety glasses, gloves and practice...
    ALL liquid withdrawal valves leak by, more or less.
    Removing liquid is how you empty big tanks to move them.
    Go gas, go boom.

Go green go broke.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    There is a biomass credit if it meets efficiency. WAS 26% now 23%. Includes price of stove, supplies, and labor costs. Trump signed it end of 2020.
    Both the Moapa and the Kalispell houses are on Septic Tank Systems. The Bio-Gas issue had enthralled me for years; so I looked into it. It is "Feasible" to extract the Methane from Home Septic Tank System and use it for cooking and other "Gas" requirements. What stopped me from pursuing other than a "Hobby Science" pursuit was that the gas pressure developed was only going to be about 1/10 PSI over ambient pressure; where as Commercial Natural Gas is delivered at about 1/4 PSI above ambient. This would mean one would have to pressurize it to use on existing Gas Appliances - requiring fuel to compress the gas. The system would not generate sufficient Gas to actually meet cooking and heating requirements - so I abandon the idea. (Gas generation and Heat from BioGas formation can be seen in the Montana House back yard where the septic Tank is located. There is currently 1-2 Inches of snow on the septic tank; whereas the area around it has 2 to 2.5 feet of snow on the ground currently.

It's kind of like Solar Panels - been tracking it for decades; but the analysis of using it seldom pays off (Without Local, State, and Federal Subsidies taken from others to bring the cost down for the individual).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

The other day a 20 pound, 5 gallon tank cost me $57.00

Boolit Buddy
    I had four 20 tanks filled yesterday. It cost me 3.65 a gallon. I have my smoker with brisket and ribs going today. I am good with the price.

Moderator Emeritus

$30 to fill the 20 pound tank for the garage heater... local co-op loses money on small tank fills and it is more of a service for the co-op members. I get a small check back from them every year on fuel purchases.

Real happy to have pre-purchased, 30% off prices this winter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast