Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: hornady pacific m balance scale

Banned

hornady pacific m balance scale

I inherited one, and well really cant figure out how to work it. I have it assembled fine but i have no idea as to how to verify the beam is correctly calibrated for the pan, or to figure out the right way to measure something on it.

Do a quick search for Pacific M scale, click on 'images', and look at a picture of one
    That will show you how to set the pan, and if you have the right one.

Set the sliding/traveling weights to '0' and level it so the pointer shows '0' on the left end between the high & low marks.
    It is a scale for measuring gun powder, and all the marks are for grains.

Check weights are available to check it for calibration that is adjusted with the 2 nuts locked together on the end of the beam.
    If no one has played around moving the 2 nuts- it's probably OK.

As far as powder scales go,
    it's a good one and won't lie to you the way some electronic ones are prone to do.
    The beam & weights work more or less the same way that tilting beam scale at the doctor's office does.

Once it's leveled with the pan hanging on it, (there is a screw on one end to adjust it),
    and the pointer is on '0', set the weight you want to measure.
    Say,,, for 73.6 grains-- Slide the big weight on the left side to 70. (each notch is 10 grains)
    Move the rear weight to '3'. (each notch is one grain)
    Move the little wire one to '6'. (each notch is 1/10 th of a grain).

Start putting powder into the pan.
    When the needle looking end comes up to '0' and everything is still and not swinging around----
    you have 73.6 grains by weight in the pan.

If the pointer is not exactly on '0', it shows how much you are off either on the heavy or light side.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-02-2023 at 02:32 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Web search "Hornady Balance Scale" for your scale's proper instructions.

Your scale is as good as a balance scale can get and, in terms of useful speed, absolute accuracy and long life. Balances are just as fast to use and a better over-all tool for most of us than any quirky electronic device.

For proper set up of your Hornady for easiest, fastest and most accurate beamer reading, set your scale on a solid shelf or vibration free stand about 10" above your benchtop and slightly behind and to the right of your measure and press. (For ease of use, anywhere is better than ON the bench top!)

For fast and accurate scale reading, your eyes should be very close to the same height as your scale's left end pointer. That means sitting a beam scale on the bench top is perhaps the worst possible place for it but, from most of the bench photos I see, it seems most folk don't know that!

After the scale is assembled and placed, hang the pan and pan holder in place and then adjust both of the beam's sliding poise weights to "0".

With an empty pan, your Coarse adjustment for zero will likely be okay at that point but tweaking MAY be needed. If it is needed, simply loosen and adjust the nuts on the beam's right end so the pointer reads close to ZERO; then snugly - not hard! - tighten the zeroing nuts in place.

After that, adjust for final zero with the scale's left end screw leveling foot; then you'll be done.

Now, know that a balance scale's accuracy is in the beam's notches and those notches don't wander around.

Unlike with digital scales, it's extreeemly unlikely you will ever need any standard test weights for your Hornady balance. d know that reloaders don't need precise calibration anyway. The normal +/- .1 gr tolerance is better than we need.

Balances are gravity powered and gravity doesn't drift around on a daily basis. In some 60 years of reloading I've never seen any obviously undamaged balance scale to be off more than .1 gr. and they are usually a bit better than that. Now digital scales ... well, get yourself a test weight set!

Contrary to "common knowledge", we don't need precise scale accuracy anyway, we only need precise repeatability. Book data can only be a starting point for us so our book powder charges are approximations, not absolutes. Thus, if we properly develop our reloads with our own scale, then all we will ever need to do is make our best ammo with the same scale and all will be well.

Truth is, we reloaders need consistent repeatability, not scientific laboratory accuracy down to +/- one powder flake. Used correctly, reloading balance scales have excellent repeatability. My old M-5 Lyman/Ohaus scale still reads the one 260.9 gr. "test weight" that came with it exactly the same as it did the day I took it out of its box in the summer of 1965.
    Thing is, the sterling performance of my old magnetic damped Lyman balance is not unique. My equally old Webster/Herter's M-5 does the same and so does the several other balance beam scales I've tested.

(Know that magnetic damping of any balance scale's beam doesn't help or hurt accuracy but it sure makes the beams settle faster. I've found that most dampened beams will stop within 2-3 seconds and that's close enough to instant for a worn out old reloading clod like me!)

Your Hornady is a great scale, cherish it. Digital scales are okay for weighing cases and bullets but beams are for weighing gun powder.

FINAL NOTE: Try as many cheep Chinese (throw-away grade) electronic scales of any brand or price as you wish, you won't find a common balance scale's high level of long term accuracy and repeatability from any of them.
    Last edited by 1hole; 02-08-2023 at 03:33 PM.

I use a Hornady M scale and like it. I have a set of check weights that I'll occasionally verify the scale with, but for the past 20 years it's always been on. You can go to the hornady website, look at the bottom of the page under support and click on user mauals. Then type in M Magnetic scale and the user manual PDF's will pop up for you to download.