Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Compressed pistol load

Boolit Bub

Compressed pistol load

I have been compressing powder in my shot shell loads in my 45 colt to get more shot per load. It has been said compressed loads with pistol powder is not safe. I load my shot shells with trimmed .410 shot cups some then some with an over powder wad and a 200 cast bullet after the shot. I stopped using Speers when the cost went to .40 cents each. I guess I am a tightwad but? What do you think about compressed pistol powder?

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I am having a problem following you: are you saying you seat a 200gr bullet ON TOP of your shot charge?

In the absence of the Speer capsules, I have been using 454 Casull brass for my 45 Colt shot shells. With this case,
    I can get a greater shot charge than the Speer capsules.
    As for compressing the powder charge, I place a .125" over-powder card (Track of the Wolf item) and then seat the card
    firmly with a 7/16" dowel.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Some pistol loads are well known to be best compressed. H110 comes to mind in the .357mag. Never heard of shooting compressed shotshell loads. But then again, I don't shoot shot shells in my pistols. So I'm not up to snuff on the modern doings in that area. But if it works for you, and doesn't appear to present any issues, I'm not sure I would stop unless you just feel it is unsafe...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub

I do use a 200 grain bullet over the shot. I do this in case I encounter a larger threat. The shot pattern is still good for around 10 feet or better for rattlesnakes. Some threats require a little more than shot. I will try to send the load I use and a photo of the patterns when weather permits.

Boolit Master
    Aren't you supposed to seat the capsule or wad on top of the powder? That's how I've always done my shot loads- Powder in the case + push the capsule in till it sits on top of the powder.
    All shotgun shotshells have the pistol/shotgun powder compressed.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Bub

Yes! I use a stiff paper over the powder, then the shot and the cast bullet over that. I just wanted to know if the total shot, and bullet column should compress the powder very much. On top of the powder and not pressed down hard. I have compressed the powder without and problems but I have a very strong handgun. Some shooters want the shot to rattle when the round is finished. Mine never rattle since I have stuffed as much shot as I can in my loads what ever type I load, with or without a bullet or capsule.