Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: charter arms

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    I've only owned one, but it worked well. It was an older, 5-shot Undercoverette in 32 H&R. They upgraded it to the new, 6-shot configuration for free (I was told that it is normally $100). They will also provide warranty service for Charter revolvers produced under previous ownership, for a flat $50, plus parts. So far, I have a a favorable opinion of the company.
    I have the new undercoverette in 32hr.. great gun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Amen! My wife is a good enough markswoman that she has killed rattlers by shooting their heads off, but the shot capsules are more forgiving. I killed the biggest rattlesnake we have ever seen on the property with a .44 shot shell - one round was all it took.
    Great.. I currently use rice and over/under wads... for "Flying Mice", in the Barn!!!
    Haven't noticed any larger Rodents... But...I still have some medicine!!

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    I've only owned one, but it worked well. It was an older, 5-shot Undercoverette in 32 H&R. They upgraded it to the new, 6-shot configuration for free (I was told that it is normally $100). They will also provide warranty service for Charter revolvers produced under previous ownership, for a flat $50, plus parts. So far, I have a a favorable opinion of the company.
    First I heard of Warranty on "other Ownership" Charters... I should look in to having mine "Snugged Up"
    All that Carried Lots and Shot Little, is Not the Life My Charter got... Course..I have a 9 shot H&R that has eaten even more ammo than that!!! No Problems with it Either!!! Possibly some folks out there on the Interweb have never really Owned One???
    One Note...All of my Revolvers get 10 times the use in single action as Double... Unless I'm in the Pig Barn!!!
    May have some Impact on the situation..

charter arms

Look at the target.”Went full auto” is a humorous excuse for a flier. Or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Look at the target.”Went full auto” is a humorous excuse for a flier. Or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got it right off...From a Story about Bear hunting, I believe...Perhaps by Skeeter Skelton??? My Memory aint what it used to be!!!

Boolit Master

thanks guys...very useful information.
    I am trying to decide between a 6" barrel and a 4" barrel. At first I though 6", but am not leaning toward the 4" based on the information you all provided.
    in Freedom
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I have the new undercoverette in 32hr.. great gun!
    One of those is on my really long I'll have one someday list. I had the older 5 shot version about 10 years ago. Good shooter. Ended up selling it because If I've only got five shots I want 'em to be .38's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    If you get one for the purpose of it going with you to the ATM to get cash for baby formula, or similar "I don't wanna be messed with" missions, a .44 CA Bulldog will work. If you get one as a shooter, look at their slightly better-adorned "Target Bulldog". Slightly less easy to slide in a coat pocket, but noticeably easier to make hits with. I believe they still offer a 4" barreled version.
    AFTER you get your CA Bulldog, immediately go in search of a Taurus M431 .44 Special. Better in all respects, but scarce, these days. When you buy the Taurus, sell the Bulldog and holster (to help pay for the Taurus) to someone else. Speedloaders for one will work for the other. There was a similar model made by Rossi, which was also better than the CA Bulldog in all respects, but just about as scarce as the Taurus.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    This thread is a good read. I've eyeballed these over the years, and the design just looked so cheesy that I never dropped the cash to buy one. After reading this, I may change that...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    thanks guys...very useful information.
    I am trying to decide between a 6" barrel and a 4" barrel. At first I though 6", but am not leaning toward the 4" based on the information you all provided.
    in Freedom
    atr
    I would stick with a 4" for easier concealment but it's your call.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    One of those is on my really long I'll have one someday list. I had the older 5 shot version about 10 years ago. Good shooter. Ended up selling it because If I've only got five shots I want 'em to be .38's.
    That's the thing.. You can load 32hr into 38spl range... And 327f can be loaded into 357 range. Both have less felt recoil too. You don't sacrifice much of anything with the 32 caliber guns.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    That's the thing.. You can load 32hr into 38spl range... And 327f can be loaded into 357 range. Both have less felt recoil too. You don't sacrifice much of anything with the 32 caliber guns.
    I agree with you, however at the time I had several .38's and it made sense to consolidate.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Just to add to the conversation, I ended up buying new a 45ACP in their black SS finish, a 44 w/ grip laser, a 6 shot 38 and a 6 shot 32 all short barrels in the last few of years. The 45 is unshootable due to cylinder end shake, light firing pin strikes and a cocked barrel and the 32 had a cocked barrel and the same issues with light pin strikes. Sent the 32 back and it was fixed under warranty and just need to send the 45 back too (just haven't got to it). Factory personal were very helpful and the gun was returned in about a month. Both the 44 and the 38 shoot great and have no issues at all. Do like the triggers on all 4 guns and while they are all SS frames, the trigger guards and grip area are all aluminum so they are really light for a mostly steel gun. No regrets with any of the guns, but we will see about the 45. Do most especially like the 38 as it is really very handy and has the added benefit of 6 shots instead of the more usual 5 in this sized gun.

Ive got a target model in 327 fed. Ive gone after some rough edges with an Arkansas stone , i think its a heck of a value compared to what the other 327s cost.

They won't win very many beauty contests, but they work, and work well.

A good value for the price, and if you have to hand it over after a shooting- depending on where you are,
    it may be the hassle of your life to get it back, so just let it go.
    It isn't like you lost a $5,000. Les Baer or Colt race gun-- just buy another one and move on.

If it gets a scratch or holster wear, you probably won't go into a fit of depression over it then either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    How can a revolver "go full auto"?
    Accidental discharge caused by the shooter trying to control recoil and squeezing the trigger a second time. The shots are so close together, it sounds like a two shot burst. There are a few videos out there. Most instances occur with the big rounds, but the light weight of the Charter could contribute.

I always start new shooters with a single round for several reasons. This being one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4y9bhkYF9E

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Accidental discharge caused by the shooter trying to control recoil and squeezing the trigger a second time. The shots are so close together, it sounds like a two shot burst. There are a few videos out there. Most instances occur with the big rounds, but the light weight of the Charter could contribute.
    Not exactly an "accidental discharge" -- just pulled through on the double action before getting the sights back on target. And not really a "two-shot burst." The bullet holes are close together because it's a two-projectile load. So, that's only a five shot target with two 150 grain wadcutters per shot.

If nothing else, the target indicates that errant shots might be more a problem of shooter error than the mechanical problem of getting two projectiles from the same cartridge to go in the same direction.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Great.. I currently use rice and over/under wads... for "Flying Mice", in the Barn!!!
    Haven't noticed any larger Rodents... But...I still have some medicine!!

First I heard of Warranty on "other Ownership" Charters... I should look in to having mine "Snugged Up"
    All that Carried Lots and Shot Little, is Not the Life My Charter got... Course..I have a 9 shot H&R that has eaten even more ammo than that!!! No Problems with it Either!!! Possibly some folks out there on the Interweb have never really Owned One???
    One Note...All of my Revolvers get 10 times the use in single action as Double... Unless I'm in the Pig Barn!!!
    May have some Impact on the situation..
    https://charterfirearms.com/pages/faqs
    Scroll down a bit more than half-way. I also confirmed it with them via telephone a couple of years back.

Boolit Buddy
    Been eye balling one in 32 H and R … price seems right

We have a cabin in a canyon in northern NM. I have run into a bear in the past and the wife and I love to hike the canyon. So, I bought one of the old ones several years ago

My dink-around load for my other .44 Special's is 6.5 gr. of Unique under a 429421 250 gr. SWC. The Bulldog is a monster to shoot with that load and recoil is brutal. But I cast up a batch of 185 gr. full wadcutters from a Lyman 429348 mold and loaded them to about 850 fps. Very pleasant to shoot and other than shooting a tad below the sights, they're sufficiently accurate.

I then bought one of the MP molds with multiple pins that casts a ~205 gr. SWC as well as four different style HP's.

The lighter bullets are for around-town and the solid SWC for hiking the canyons.

All in all, I really like the revolver and have no complaints.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I now have 3 Charter Arms, the first is the Target Pathfinder. Its an 8 shot 22 with the 4.2" barrel. I bought it off Gun Broker and it was used, so I got it cheap. They advertise a lifetime warranty for all the guns made in Shelton, CT (that's their latest ownership location). I didn't notice that the lifetime warranty is for the original owner. It did have a problem (I assume that's why it was sold). I called Charter, they sent me a label and I sent it back to them. It was returned relatively quickly and haven't had any more problems with it.

The second one is the 6 shot Undercoverette 32 H&R Mag with a 2" barrel. I bought this one new. This one had a really terrible trigger, so I did a lot of dry fire trying to smooth things. Eventually the transfer bar broke. I called them again, another label was sent. The transfer bar was replaced, the internals were polished and it now has the best trigger of any of my handguns.

The most recent is a Target Bulldog, 44 Spec with the 4.2" barrel. This one has a very nice trigger right from the get go. I haven't had any problems with this one.

All the factory grips have been replaced with Pachmyer's. In my opinion their factory rubber grips suck.

I'm considering getting the Bulldog XL in 45 Colt. Its a 5 shot, 2" barrel. Can't seem to find one at the in stock at the moment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast