Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: charter arms

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Those early Charters are very well made guns with good finish and workmanship. I have a 1970's model with lots of finish wear but a great trigger pull and the action is as smooth and tight as any S&W I've tried.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Hi Guys,
    I did in fact purchase a Charter Arms Target Bulldog with 4" barrel. I took it to the range this morning and shot 180gr-J's and 240gr Keith style cast. Both shot well and the groups were decent at 25 ft. The revolver, factory setting, shot low and left which I had to adjust significantly to get a better zero.
    Nice revolver; I like the light weight, a decent finish, the grips were adequate and I don't think I will try to improve on them, and I am partial to revolvers with a swing out cylinder, trigger pull was crisp and not too heavy.
    thanks for your thoughts
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 03-29-2023 at 09:34 AM. Reason: text
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Sounds great! I wish Charter would make the Target Bulldog as a six round .38 Special. They used to have a fixed sights version called the Police Bulldog.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I see charter just put out a 380 revolver. I got one then see that instead of having a machined cylinder to headspace on case mouth..they use a spring detent on the extraction rim... Had I known that..might not have been interested...oh well..own it now.
    Last edited by Soundguy; 03-29-2023 at 10:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'D avoid barrels under 3", and get stainless if you can. There's a model called the Target Bulldog which comes with adjustable sights and (I believe) a 4" barrel. I'm CERTAIN they're available in 6" barrels. The Target Bulldog will cost more than the basic model, but it is a far more user-friendly model.
    When reloading for the Charter Arms revolvers, use moderation. 240 gr. @ 800 f/s is more than powerful enough. Stay away from the Elmer Keith/ Skeeter Skelton .44 Spl. loads.
    The use of LSWCs as initial loads in the revolver present no problem, and are even advantageous. Reloading the cylinder with sharp-shouldered projectiles can be problematic. The use of a similar-weight RNFP will do much to speed up reloading under time pressure.
    https://charterfirearms.com/products...ith-4-2-barrel
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 03-28-2023 at 05:37 PM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    If you get one for the purpose of it going with you to the ATM to get cash for baby formula, or similar "I don't wanna be messed with" missions, a .44 CA Bulldog will work. If you get one as a shooter, look at their slightly better-adorned "Target Bulldog". Slightly less easy to slide in a coat pocket, but noticeably easier to make hits with. I believe they still offer a 4" barreled version.
    AFTER you get your CA Bulldog, immediately go in search of a Taurus M431 .44 Special. Better in all respects, but scarce, these days. When you buy the Taurus, sell the Bulldog and holster (to help pay for the Taurus) to someone else. Speedloaders for one will work for the other. There was a similar model made by Rossi, which was also better than the CA Bulldog in all respects, but just about as scarce as the Taurus.
    I've had both and still have my Bulldog. Mine was made in 67-69', haven't shot it much in the last 15 yrs as I'm either in Iraq, UAE, Syria or Astan. When home my first two rounds are Speer shot capsules loaded with either #6/#9 for cottonmouths and then 3 rds of Lee 240 gr SWC both under Unique for the NC coast/swamps.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Not that it is particularly applicable to the .44 Special revolvers but my stainless snubby Pug .41 has the chambers machined dead on to the SAAMI tolerances and no slop. So when you put together your ammo you make sure your as-sized boolits are not extra fat or else they embarrassingly might not chamber. And, because the cylinder isn't as long as other brands, make sure your boolits don't stick out too much. For example, I wanted to try out Lyman #410426 but to crimp it the brass would have to be trimmed short. Could get the #410426 modified to a WFN hollow point but this one from Accurate fills the bill with all the right dimensions.

Would love to find a Magnum Pug in .41 to go with my my 58, 14" Contender and Marlin 1894S
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I did in fact purchase a Charter Arms Target Bulldog with 4" barrel. I took it to the range this morning and shot 180gr-J's and 240gr Keith style cast. Both shot well and the groups were decent at 25 ft. The revolver, factory setting, shot low and left which I had to adjust significantly to get a better zero.
    Nice revolver; I like the light weight, a decent finish, the grips were adequate and I don't think in will improve on them, and I am partial to revolvers with a swing out cylinder, trigger pull was crisp and not too heavy.
    thanks for your thoughts
    atr
    Good to hear. To my mind, Charter Arms is the closest thing we have to a modern Iver Johnson; American made, thoughtfully designed, economical revolvers.

Boolit Buddy

Have their 9mm and .380 Acp. Wish they made one in the 32 ACP. Have just started to load the 32 Acp for my Beretta Tomcat. Have made shot shells from 223 Rem brass to shoot in both of these. The .380 throws a really dense pattern at 10 ft with my load, the 9mm not as good.

Charter makes a 9mm?

Boolit Man
    Taurus is making the Model 327 with a 2” barrel again. I have had one for many years now and love it. Comfortable to shoot with full house .327 Fed Mag and oh so sweet with .32 S&W Long. Just as accurate as my S&W’s.

Boolit Buddy
    Change the hammer spring on any bulldog. You will not believe how much better it makes the pistol.

Boolit Bub

My Two Dogs

Here is a picture of my two bulldogs.
    44 Special, made in Stratford, Conn in the early 1980's. Never had a problem with either of them.
    All Stainless steel. Very accurate at personal business distances, but the BLAST is really something as is the recoil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61BEB1EE-7AA9-4464-BF9F-87D7D1FF98E2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	312479
    "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
    - Bruce Lee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    AFTER you get your CA Bulldog, immediately go in search of a Taurus M431 .44 Special. Better in all respects, but scarce, these days. When you buy the Taurus, sell the Bulldog and holster (to help pay for the Taurus) to someone else. Speedloaders for one will work for the other. There was a similar model made by Rossi, which was also better than the CA Bulldog in all respects, but just about as scarce as the Taurus.
    I went this route about 20 years ago. Unfortunately for me my experience was typical coin toss Taurus quality and my flip went "tails". I wanted to love it but it would have required gunsmithing which I was unwilling to fund on a $200 revolver.

I too greatly prefer a revolver but back in the day there simply were no compact autos to be had vs today. Yeah I'd love a Smith 696 but wonder if a compact polymer 45 isn't maybe a better solution at this point.

Boolit Master
    If one can, get oneself a M69 Smith with the 2.75 inch barrel and never look back.
    Great revolver.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by billmc2 View Post
    I now have 3 Charter Arms, the first is the Target Pathfinder. Its an 8 shot 22 with the 4.2" barrel. I bought it off Gun Broker and it was used, so I got it cheap. They advertise a lifetime warranty for all the guns made in Shelton, CT (that's their latest ownership location). I didn't notice that the lifetime warranty is for the original owner. It did have a problem (I assume that's why it was sold). I called Charter, they sent me a label and I sent it back to them. It was returned relatively quickly and haven't had any more problems with it.

The second one is the 6 shot Undercoverette 32 H&R Mag with a 2" barrel. I bought this one new. This one had a really terrible trigger, so I did a lot of dry fire trying to smooth things. Eventually the transfer bar broke. I called them again, another label was sent. The transfer bar was replaced, the internals were polished and it now has the best trigger of any of my handguns.

The most recent is a Target Bulldog, 44 Spec with the 4.2" barrel. This one has a very nice trigger right from the get go. I haven't had any problems with this one.

All the factory grips have been replaced with Pachmyer's. In my opinion their factory rubber grips suck.

I'm considering getting the Bulldog XL in 45 Colt. Its a 5 shot, 2" barrel. Can't seem to find one at the in stock at the moment.
    I didn’t know that CA made a .45 Colt. They are on their website, but I don’t see any on Gunbroker. A 22 oz 5 shot .45 Colt would be an ideal accompaniment to my R92 Rossi in the same caliber. An N frame Smith or a Roger Redhawk .45 is no fun to carry. If S&W ever made a 325 PD .45 Colt Scandium/Titanium with a 3 1/2 inch barrel, I would buy one.

Boolit Master

I have been to the range several times now with the new .44 charter arms bulldog x 4" barrel and it is consistently shooting low and I am close to bottoming-out the adjustable rear sight, to raise the point of impace. I am thinking about milling down the front sight.
    Any thoughts pro or con?
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Yes, raise the rear sight.

Gave my 1970s Undercover some exercise yesterday. This $140.00 pawn shop piece doesn't give up anything to my S&W and Ruger wheelguns.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast