Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: charter arms

Boolit Master

I bought a SS 44 special Bulldog used. I put some Pachmyers on it and shot it some then had trouble with the ejector so I called Charter arms got a label and sent it back. I got it back in about 10 days they replaced some parts, fixed all my complaints and said they thought the grips were causing some funchioning problems so they replaced them all for no charge.
    Is it a magnificent example of the gun makers art-no! Is it a functional, accurate handgun in an effective caliber- yes!
    Just my opinion, good luck and good shooting!
    PS hope you reload or it gets expensive! Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    https://charterfirearms.com/pages/faqs
    Scroll down a bit more than half-way. I also confirmed it with them via telephone a couple of years back.
    Wow...Thanks... I think I will try this out...Of Course I will give a Report.. I been Steamin since S&W stole My Contender "Deal" and Dropped me like Last years iphone!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have two, and love both of them. First one was a 6 inch target in 44spl. First day at the family range all attendees were waiting in line to shoot it. Ran out of ammo that day. I liked it so much I ordered a 44spl in the 2.5 stainless for a possible carry gun. After load development it is now my everyday carry gun. I have to buy another one now because my wife likes it so much she wants one as a field carry piece(a little too much bulk for her everyday concealed gun).
    Would I buy one to put thousands of rounds per year? No but perfectly happy for the 600/700 rounds it has had so far. The 2.5 sights are regulated for a 240 grainers. The six inch has adj. sights and I use a 180TC and it thinks it's a target gun. After I get my wife her 2.5 I may buy the 4 inch target model.
    Common sense tells us they are not a Ruger Gp-100 but that doesn't mean they are not a serviceable piece depending on the level of loads and round count one is intending. Just treat it for what it is and I think you will be very happy.
    Tony

Boolit Master

I have two CA wheelguns. The major one is a .44 Cal bulldog pug without a hammer spur in blued steel. It is a fantastic concealed carry gun. It is light and packs really big whollup when loaded with a 240 gr softlead hollow point. It is accurate and when loaded with 4.8 gr of Unique it is fun at the range. It does recoil a lot more with heavier loadings of Unique and it is no fun at all when loaded up to 6 gr. The other is a ss finished Patriot in 327 Federal Magnum. It has 6 chambers and is a duplicate of the above firearm in all areas except it had a hammer spur. It is a joy to shoot. Loud and a big muzzle flash with some ammo. I load my own using Lehigh boolts over a small amount of Titegroup. These 90 gr boolts are screamers with major terminal ballistics and they shoot straight with a very flat trejectory. Overall I am pleased with both of these revolvers and I am happy to have and to able to make ammo for them and use them often.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    My first Bulldog was NIB from Shelton, CT. After a couple hundred rounds at the range and lord knows how much double-action dry firing on empty chambers, the transfer bar broke. That didn't instill a lot of confidence, but all that dry firing probably was abusive. At any rate, a call to Shelton brought a new transfer bar in the mail a few days later, free of charge.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    My first Bulldog was NIB from Shelton, CT. After a couple hundred rounds at the range and lord knows how much double-action dry firing on empty chambers, the transfer bar broke. That didn't instill a lot of confidence, but all that dry firing probably was abusive. At any rate, a call to Shelton brought a new transfer bar in the mail a few days later, free of charge.
    While i do Not own any...I think that is why they invented Snap Caps.. I forgot to mention those Speer Plastic Bullet and cartridge loads...Primer propelled... Shot about a Gazillion of them... the Projectiles can get extremely mis-shapened, and still be pretty OK...
    Passed alot of time in the Basement shooting at our "trap" and Watching a Big Ole projection TV... Fambly time ya know!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    firing on empty chambers, .
    I'd at least put spent cases in there to keep the firing pin from over traveling.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    My wife bought me a Bulldog for Christmas in 1973 after we had visited the CA factory. Tried various heavy weight boolits at different powder loading and got really tired of the recoil. I bought a Lyman 429348 WC mold (180 grain) and looked into the Lyman #45 reloading handbook for load recommendations. They suggested seating this boolit over 7.0 up to 11.5 grains of Unique, but probably for a S&W "N" frame. After testing this boolit over 7.0 Unique I was satisfied with its performance with group size and POI. Later I found half a mold - the base section only of a Lyman 429625 mold that drops 175 grain boolits. This base molds what I call a "yawning HP" pattern. Also loaded over 7.0 Unique this is my alternate carry load. Either of these loads, along with Speer shot capsules (filled with #12 shot), are all I need to keep this revolver close to me.

Boolit Master

Just got a new bulldog over the weekend at the Pasadena (TX) gunshow for 4 clams OTD.
    Haven’t shot it yet but was just looking for something inexpensive to pair with my Rossi 92 carbine in .44 mag.
    Fingers crossed…all my other revolvers are s&w, ruger & colt
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Just got a new bulldog over the weekend at the Pasadena (TX) gunshow for 4 clams OTD.
    Haven’t shot it yet but was just looking for something inexpensive to pair with my Rossi 92 carbine in .44 mag.
    Fingers crossed…all my other revolvers are s&w, ruger & colt
    Yer gonna hate it... just pass it on down to me for proper disposal..

Pasadena gun shows used to be way better than the Astro.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Pasadena gun shows used to be way better than the Astro.
    Ever since GRB & NRG stopped hosting gunshows, Pasadena, Humble, Conroe, et. al. have picked up the slack…
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Most reports of Charter Arms Bull Dogs are glowing .

I got the lemon.
    As I say the last time I got it out to shoot
    AFTER (either 3 or 4) trips back to charter I THREW it to the back of the safe hopefully on it's way straight to He((.

EVERY company turns out a piece that is a total failure and in that piece of junk I can say I got one!

Have seen 2 "Undercovers" and 2 "Pathfinders" that were just fine.

One of the "Pathfinders" was superbly accurate
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Ive got a target model in 327 fed. Ive gone after some rough edges with an Arkansas stone , i think its a heck of a value compared to what the other 327s cost.
    And 327's are rare still.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Most reports of Charter Arms Bull Dogs are glowing .

I got the lemon.
    As I say the last time I got it out to shoot
    AFTER (either 3 or 4) trips back to charter I THREW it to the back of the safe hopefully on it's way straight to He((.

EVERY company turns out a piece that is a total failure and in that piece of junk I can say I got one!

Have seen 2 "Undercovers" and 2 "Pathfinders" that were just fine.

One of the "Pathfinders" was superbly accurate
    That's too bad. My 44spl target bulldog is as accurate as I am or more. If I shoot off a rest I can make 1 ragged hole. I'm using my handloads of course..so that helps..

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    And 327's are rare still.
    Charter President says they will not make any more 327's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Wow I wonder if anyone is still making a 327 Federal Magnum gun I know Ruger made them for a little bit but stopped about the only place I know you can get anything chambered in a 327 is a Bond Arms Derringer they still make Barrel sets in 327.

Ruger still produces two models, but I don't see them very often. I suspect they will be discontinued eventually.

https://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

https://www.ruger.com/products/sp101...eets/5773.html

Boolit Master

Ahh... that's good at least.

I don't like the look of a lcr.. but do like the sp101 ! Have a 3"

Boolit Master
    I have two Charter Arms revolvers one a pathfinder. 22lr and my edc undercover.38 spl. Both 3 inch barrels. Both guns are early Charter Arms manufacturer and are great little guns zero problems.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast