Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Arms

Boolit Buddy
    I have an 83 in 454. And yes it is worth the money. I also have Blackhawk's in 44 spl and 45 colt. On the 44 the BH is as accurate as the 83 is. The 45 colt not so much. I doubt I would spend the extra money for a 44 spl but the colt or a 44 mag I would if I needed that little extra in accuracy or intended to shoot extra heavy full snort loads. It really depends on your own personal needs. I needed the 454 to be super accurate and tough, That's why I bought it. I don't need my other single actions for top tier nor do I load them to that level. My 44 mag redhawk will kill anything I want out to my self imposed limit of 100 yds. Will a FA do it any better. Yes but is that extra margin worth 3 times the price to you.
    Don't get me wrong, sometimes I want the best and if I can afford I buy it and it makes me happy to own it, need had nothing to do with it. If and when I get into higher pressure rounds like the 454 then I would consider another FA or might try a BFR.
    To answer your question, 44 spl=no, 45 colt=yes if I was shooting Ruger only load levels and no if shooting standard level.
    Have fun on your journey.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    would be looking at the 45 Colt capable of JL loads
    I went down that road with Ruger and never got the accuracy I wanted
    I really like accurate guns as I am getting older and time is getting shorter
    settling for less than what I want is not an option
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Several years ago(2006) I ran across a FA 83, used with 2 extra cylinders in .45 Colt and .45 ACP. The price was right. Turned out the gun was well used but tight as new. Since then I have added .45 WinMag cylinder(don't ask why). I've shot very few round of .454. Age wise I'm just not up to it and have no good reason the punish myself.

In 2021 I decided that a FA97 in .44Spec was what I wanted(notice I did NOT say needed). I've been more than satisfied. I didn't consider the price out of line even though it was half again what I paid for the 83. 17 years inflation really makes it cheaper to me.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I hear you and right there with you. I hate owning a gun that I can't get out of it what I want. They go down the road pretty quick.
    The only thing about the 83 I don't like is the recessed cylinder, Load one skip one load four. That gun is so tight after loading the last round, do not let the cylinder rotate much or it will skip the empty cylinder on the hammer let down and you cannot see the rims. On my last cylinder I just barely bring the cylinder into view, slide the cartridge in and close the gate. that cylinder needs to stay on the high side of the gate cut-out.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    One weak spot to note on FA 83s and 97s...the firing pin... For whatever reason they WILL break if dry fired with no snap caps on board. I have not had it happen to be because I shoot my SAs with all the beans in the wheel. But if you are one of those people that carries/shoots a SA with an empty chamber it would be worth while to put a snap cap in the empty chamber in case you loose count...

FA does sell a firing pin replacement kit with firing pin and bit driver for the firing pin bushing...

Bob

Boolit Master
    .41 Magnums 97s...5.5" and 4.25"...

.41 Magnums 83s...6" and 4.75"...

Boolit Master
    One thing you may want to consider...there is a difference between intrinsic mechanical accuracy and what I call "shootability". Every FA revolver that comes out of the factory has a test target that shows its mechanical accuracy. The question becomes how much of that intrinsic accuracy can each individual wring out of that gun.

It is not only ones own ability but also things like how the grip fits, how the trigger breaks, the amount of recoil generated and how the shooter handles it with that particular gun...

I find the FA grips fit me and handle the recoil for me better than the Colt SAA, Ruger XR3, XR3-RED, Bisley or SBH. Others like one over the others...others hate the 97s...there is no right answer...just the best answer for you...

Of all the SAs I have that little 97 .41 Magnum with the round butt is the most UNFORGIVING of any SA I have ever fired. If I don't concentrate on every shot I miss...but yet it is one of my favorites... The 97s are smaller than a Ruger mid-frame Flat Top which is the smallest Blackhawk size frame Ruger makes...

If you can I would try to at least get the model you want in your hand to see how it fits...

Bob

I have a 4 5/8" Model 83 in 454. I have also been able to shoot Model 97's in 32 H&R, 357, 45 Colt, and 83's in 357, 44 Mag, and 454. You cannot get a better quality gun from most custom gunsmiths. It hurts when you pay for a Freedom Arms, but the quality & accuracy will amaze you. Freedom Arms revolvers also hold on to their value well.

Get your first one in a standard revolver caliber so you can try to wear it out.

Very well made revolvers. I had one in 454 once. I got over the 454 and sold it. Now I have customs built by JRH and others worked on by Bowen. I know they are Rugers, but I can’t really tell the difference. I don’t plan on parting with any of them. What’s the saying, “buy once, cry once,” that sums up the FA experience. You won’t regret it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Silhouette gun in 357. Would like a shorter barreled gun with a 9mm cylinder or a 45 with an acp cylinder. Do like taking it out to the range and shooting our bear gong @350 yds. If the wind isn't blowing, I can often get it 3 out of 5, sometime 4 out of 5, but never (yet) 5 out of 5. Others just shake their heads, not believing a pistol can be so accurate.
    LGS had a magnaported 454 I thought about. It was $1,500 and in good shape, but someone stuck pachmayer grips on it, which I detest. Passed on it, but went back to look at it again, and it was gone.
    Another LGS has a 41 mag. which I think is NIB. 4.75" bbl, IIRC. Think its $2600.
    Have two BFR's, a 30-30 and a 50 AE, both good guns, but I prefer the FA
    Last edited by rockrat; 02-04-2023 at 03:14 PM.

Boolit Master

My father bought his .454 around 1989, and it's about as finely made a firearm as one could ask for, and you're unlikely to have to deal with adjusting barrels for frame crush and cylinders for correct diameter. .44 Magnum would seem the no-brainer choice for you - more brass options than the Special and there's no reason you have to load it hot.

Only negative for me on them is I've gone DA on revolvers to the point of pretending that the single action notch doesn't even exist.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

My wife gave me the green light to get a Freedom Arms 97 in 2020. I bought a premier grade 327 and have been very happy.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Master
    white eagle...you never have said if you are looking at the Model 97 or 83....

97s come in .45 Colt and .44 Special...

83s come in .454 with an optional .45 Colt cylinder or .44 Magnum with an optional .44 Special cylinder...

"LGS had a magnaported 454 I thought about. It was $1,500 and in good shape, but someone stuck pachmayer grips on it, which I detest. Passed on it, but went back to look at it again, and it was gone."...rockrat...that was probably a Field Grade 83...they used to come with Pachmayer grips from the favtory... They now come with the standard winewood grips...

What are "JL loads"?

John Linebaugh?

Boolit Master
    This thread is not helping my revolver addiction.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    This thread is not helping my revolver addiction.
    Me either. Suddenly I again want that model 97 in 327 federal with 10" barrel just because. Thankfully the only way that would happen is if I sold two to fund it, and that makes me too sad to actually go through with it.

Boolit Buddy
    They are the best, once you handle and shoot one will be ruined for anything else.

Boolit Bub

Freedom Arms Brass

Not to hijack this thread, but since the topic is Freedom Arms.... I have a 50 round box of 454 Casull brass with an "FA" headstamp. Did they offer their own line of ammo at one time?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by waylonrocks View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but since the topic is Freedom Arms.... I have a 50 round box of 454 Casull brass with an "FA" headstamp. Did they offer their own line of ammo at one time?
    Yes, they made ammunition and sold unprimed brass. If you look at their load data, it shows the factory equivalent loads in 240, 260 and 300 gr bullets.

I don’t know if it still holds true, but the American Rifleman’s “Dope Bag” gun tests listed the FA .22 LR single action as the most accurate handgun that they had ever tested- until they tested the .357 version with .38 Special wad cutters.
    If I ever spring for one, it will be in .41 magnum.
    I would want a blued one, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast