Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Arms

Boolit Grand Master

Freedom Arms

I really want to get a Freedom Arms revolver
    are they worth the money?
    I would choose either 45colt or 44 special.
    I am done with the hard recoiling wrist snappers
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    "Are they worth the money?" That's something only you can answer.

Based on your post you are looking at the Model 97 the smaller frame FA. Prices are getting pretty high -- some one on another website said current price on the below gunbroker linked 44 special is over $3,800 with all options and an 18 month wait. The octagon bbl, round butt and ivory colored micarta grips (which are no longer available) add a grand or so in options.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/968470882
    Here's my pretty much plain jane (other than flutes) 44 special -- current list price is $2,800 and a long wait (street price and availability will differ of course).

Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    They are the most accurate revolvers I have ever shot. But the are not worth it to me. I am not able to use them to their fullest advantage.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Try a BFR in a pistol caliber. We have a .454 Casual and a 475 Linebaugh. Both very accurate.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Well my favorite revolver is a model 555 in 50ae. Was/is it worth it...to me absolutely

Boolit Buddy
    There is a huge difference in size and weight between a BFR and a FA97 (approx weight for similar bbl length/cal FA97 36 oz, FA83 50 oz, BFR 59 oz) - OP wanted something with smaller with lower recoil

OP Quote:
    I would choose either 45colt or 44 special.
    I am done with the hard recoiling wrist snappers

Here's a crappy picture of a full size FA 83 and the smaller FA 97 -- the BFR is even bigger than the full size FA83

Paul
    Last edited by Paul105; 02-01-2023 at 09:10 PM.

I shot a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt for a bunch of years. Eventually I hit a plateau with it and wanted something better. I was looking at some of the high end gunsmiths (Bowen, Linbaugh, etc) for something more tightly put together (tighter chambers, line bored, etc) but eventually realized that just buying a Freedom Arms would be both a cheaper and faster way to get there. I sold the Blackhawk and picked up a FA97 in 45 Colt/45ACP. They were going for around $1,600 at the time, with the extra cylinder. It was a lot of money but I am glad I spent it. Biggest downside is they only come in stainless. If you can get past that they are fantastic shooters.

-ktw

Size comparison with SAA (USFA), both in 45 Colt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97-saa.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	310030

Boolit Grand Master

If anything they make more sense now than ever. Rugers and S&W's are going for over $1000. BFR's are over $1500, customs are well over $2000. Yes, $3000 is very steep for a handgun still. If you really want it though, sell a couple you don't like, and you are most of the way there.

Boolit Master
    Have got several 97s and 83s and yes, they are worth the money and you will be quiet happy...

As to caliber, the 97 is the perfect vehicle for the .44 Special...it is like they invented the gun around it. One can run anything from 180 grain WCs to 280 grain LBTs at whatever speed one desires...you aren't going to hurt the gun.

As to barrel length, for all-around use the 5.5 is great... If you like them short then the 4.25 with a round butt is as Mr. Taffin states, the perfect Packin' Pistol...

There used to be 100+ available at the various auction sites but right now the pickings are slim especially when it comes to 97s. The factory went from a 3 month wait two years ago to a 9 month wait last summer to 18 months now...I expect them to go to two years by the and of the year.

Most of the used guns out there are in excellent to mint condition...for a 97 in .45 Colt or .44 Special with a round 4.25-5.5" barrel expect to pay $2200-2500 in this market.

Best place to shop is GunBroker and GunsInternational. Both have new and used guns on a regular basis...

Expensive but you get more than you pay for...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 02-01-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two, a 44 special and a 45LC/ACP. Had them for 20 years or so. They were expensive even then, but I have never regretted buying them. Of course, I was a working man back then rather than the poor Viejo I am now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had a BFR/ not to my liking
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I bought my FA-83 in early 1984. It is chambered for a 454 Casull and since I had my gunshop at the time I had them fit it with a tungsten insert in the forcing cone (no longer available). I have killed over 141 animals with it and my records indicate it has over 9,500 rounds through it (33.0 296 behind a 300gr. LFN), it is still just as tight as the day I got it.

It IS worth it!!!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Are they worth it? In my humble opinion,, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top quality, & basically hand built by real gunsmiths.

As to caliber,, I'd opt for the 45 Colt over the 44 mag,, but that's MY personal preferences.

Boolit Master
    I shot one last week. You can load a 44 mag from low to go.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several FA revolvers. Almost any load shoots well, with the right loads , SCARY! Just last week I was playing with a new bullet in 475line, my buddy watched 5 350gr bullets went into 3/4”@50yds.
    Other guys mentioned M97 in 44spl. I have a 6.5”. It weighs 40oz, it’s handy.Throw a scope or red dot on it , it becomes a 100yd deer gun!

BigBoreShooter

Boolit Grand Master

I do not mind the weight. We I decide to push a heavy for caliber cast my 140 pounds actually appreciates it.
    Chest holster takes care of hunting carry.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    If you have the cash and want it them buy it. If you are just looking for accuracy, then buy a BFR. The BFR will be a 8.5 on the build scale, the FA a 10. However, the BFR will be just as accurate as the FA.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Mold
    not for me had the 4 5/8 454 , i think a 83,, magnaported ruined it should have stayed to 45 colt,, i wouldnt buy another

Boolit Master
    I have a Model 83 chambered in .357 mag with 7.5” barrel. I had to send the cylinder to Dougguy to have the throats fixed, 4 were super tight and one loose. He opened them all up to .3585”, I don’t have a flyer from that one chamber anymore. Now it is a laser beam with all 5 chambers, the 1:14 twist lets it spit 220gr boolits with amazing accuracy.

Being able to load .357 up towards 60kpsi puts that cartridge into a whole different universe vs 35kpsi. The FA cylinder is 1.776” so when I load up FA only ammo, it’s loaded to just under 1.776” so it won’t fit into any other .357 I have.

I’d suggest looking at one in .357, you can load up wrist snappers if you need, but with standard magnum loads the recoil is a bit easier to manage than say a 6” GP100 and a lot easier than a S&W 4” 27-2.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast