WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 686, 586, gp-100

Banned
    Hunt and target shoot.

To carry it as a backup when hunting. NOTHING less enjoyable then having to play "nice doggy" and back away from a freshly killed deer because a bunch of coyotes want it and you only have a single shot muzzleloader, a bow with 1 arrow, or just a knife.

I read what seems to be the 2008 article by Grant Cunningham about the gp-100 adjsutable sights that move around with every shot, etc...

How does the 5" barrel version do these days

I have a 4" 686+ & traded off a 6" 686 (terrible mistake) and I also have a 3" GP100 & a 5" GP100 in .44 Special. If a 586 became available @ anywhere near a decent price, I'd buy it (or trade the 4" 686).

I shoot the 2 GP100s much more than the 686. My GPs have hammer shims, hammer dog shims, 11 lb. main spring & some judicious polishing: they're slick. I think it's the .44 spec. thing that attracts me to the GP's.

They are all in the safe except for the 3" GP (it aways resides within easy reach). It has a dovetail mounted front sight that will stay there. To be honest I can't say what front sight attachment method the others have, but whatever it is will remain as is.

With the GPs I'll never be "without a paddle".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BandeauRouge View Post
    Hunt and target shoot.

To carry it as a backup when hunting. NOTHING less enjoyable then having to play "nice doggy" and back away from a freshly killed deer because a bunch of coyotes want it and you only have a single shot muzzleloader, a bow with 1 arrow, or just a knife.

I read what seems to be the 2008 article by Grant Cunningham about the gp-100 adjsutable sights that move around with every shot, etc...

How does the 5" barrel version do these days
    You might be reading that wrong. Both S&W and Ruger use the same sight design. They both have a screw into the frame for elevation, and a screw through the sight blade for windage. You can argue about which brand sights are nicer, but neither brand sights move unless you break them, which is not likely.

Both of those models are about the best hunting handguns you can buy. Get whichever makes you happy. Or get both if you can. I own two of the 5" GP100s, and I think they are one of the best revolvers ever made. I should have bought 4 when they were cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BandeauRouge View Post
    Hunt and target shoot.

That's why my Glock 19 with cast slugs and a reload always accompanies me in the woods! Although, the 'yotes around here already know that people = guns so stay away.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    This wasn't on the OP's list of choices, but I'D suggest looking for a gently used S&W M28. It isn't quite as "handy" as the medium framed revolvers mentioned, but there's not a lot wrong with their sights (or anything else), as they are. If the long-range plan is to scope the .357 Mag revolver of interest, the M28 could be problematic.
    But I know from experience that a used M28 will shoot to "minute of vital zone" on deer, to 100 yards. It will ALSO hold to "minute of hungry/ambitious coyote", every bit as well.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    The Smith and Wesson M28 or Highway Patrolman is no longer in production.
    That fact puts it high up on the S & W collector list, also pushes the price
    up also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    The Smith and Wesson M28 or Highway Patrolman is no longer in production.
    That fact puts it high up on the S & W collector list, also pushes the price
    up also.
    the 686 is hitting 919-1050 for current factory new models.. The older ones well, are just as much and if they predate the hillary hole they go for more.

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked on Guns International, the M28 ranges from a low of $900 to $1500 and higher!

And there is no hillary hole.

Boolit Buddy

OP
    I own and shoot all three revolvers, and a marlin 1894 carbine. All are as reliable as sunrise and kill whatever vermin they’re loosed on. The S&W get the nod when I get the itch to shoot a revolver match. Smith’s are smoother out of the box and much easier to tune than Ruger. That said, the GP 100 can be nicely tuned too. If you can change spark plugs in your car you’re mechanically proficient enough to do the job.

For hunting I choose the long gun every time. The advantages are obvious. As a backup, the revolver in a homemade chest rig works well. Also a good way to carry when feeding livestock during spring snake season or just puttering around the woods.

For NEW production s&w revolvers adding a red dot is dead simple. The previously mentioned Wiegand mount works well and I like it. I recently switched to the Allchin mount and an enclosed emitter red dot. Much better solution as the dot is mounted closer to the bore and debris doesn’t get into the dot housing.

YMMV

Moderator Emeritus

I've had a few 586 guns, a 686, and a GP-100
    All older out-of-production models.
    I was fond of the one's I had...still have the Ruger.
    I never found a need to replace a front sight on any of them.
    With all that said, since you mention in one post, that you are only interested in current production guns, then I'd suggest getting a Henry Big Boy.
    That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Take a close look at the Smith 627. I have had two GP 100s and liked them both, they are accurate and hell for stout. But they are less responsive in the hand the N Frames I have owned. Regarding front sights, if it is a question of visibility, fluorescent orange Krylon and a narrow natural hair brush are your friends. Top coat with clear Krylon or nail polish and touch up once in a while.

If you can find an older GP with the 6" half shroud barrel that would be the way to go. My best friend has one and it is sweet.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Weigand makes one for the ruger GP100 as well. have one on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    ...The biggest problem with this mount is you no longer have the iron sights to fall back on if the red dot fails...l[/url]
    https://fusionfirearms.com/s-w-rmr-r...et-silver-body

Weigand isn't the only game in town it seems...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Daddy View Post

Dang, that is slick. I may need to buy a stainless S&W so I can put that mount on it
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Daddy View Post

At $140.00 it is almost three times the cost of the Weigand.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Well you what camp I am in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A2EA2EC-4079-4499-82EC-1AB44B324099.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	310341

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3839 ruger security six.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	310466
    Submitted for your approval yet another alternative. The Ruger Security Six line is lighter and handier than the L-frame Smiths or GP100 Rugers, but stronger and more enduring than the k-frame S&W's in 357. I have been very pleased with mine. The only fly in the ointment is that aftermarket support is limited. Despite there being hundreds of thousands of them out there, not many sources for grips, replacement parts, etc. remain.
    They tend to be cheaper than the Smiths and the Gp 100's as well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Those Sixes are my favorite Ruger handguns ever. I have a 1988 Service Six (last year of production) stainless .38 and it ain't going anywhere. Only problem is, Ruger states on their website that factory parts and service are no longer available for them. Used parts are still fairly easy to find, and if you had one that was beyond repair Ruger would probably sell you a new GP at significant discount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12